Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

pv83:
Apologies if this has been posted before (nmp), but this must have been quite a revelation back in the day?! Wonder if that “mythical” 8 cylinder engine was fitted…

That is one smart motor, Patrick, if it doesn’t have the 8LXB in it, there may well be a good chance of a full depth sleeper compartment. :wink: :laughing:

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

pyewacket947v:
1 August 1985
A439
Startford upon Avon
Warks.

Spanish reg Mack Interstater coe
with step frame tilt.
Operated by Perico.
Yes, the picture is poor, but you
cannot succeed everytime,

Dean’s right: no apology required! It’s the subject that’s important and if the photo is superb, then that’s the icing on the cake. Like you I have a good few I took with an old 110 film camera and they form an invaluable record of lorries I drove decades ago.

The Spanish seem to have built rather more robust stepframe tilts than the rest in those days; or was that just their appearance and the multiple drop sides? Ro

Ro,Any idea who the manufacturer of the trailer is ?

Pereco had an office on Poole docks back in the 1970’s/80’s so they must have been a large concern back then.

I’ll have a think, Dean. Spanish tilts had a very distinctive character; I think partly because their drop-sides were much higher than everyone else’s, or in some cases the bays were more strongly divided which gave the sides a ‘ribbed for extra pleasure’ effect :laughing: The only Spanish trailer builder I can think of is Lecitrailer. Pyewacket may know, as he’s good on Spain. Ro

Nice thought, sadly my only visit to Spain was long ago, 1960 to be precise…18 years old and my interests at the time where far removed from trucks and trailers.
Lecitrailer does seem to be the current leader of Spanish built ‘home grown’ trailers though, but as elsewhere in Europe, Tiger, Smitz CargoBull ,Chereau, Fruehauf etc have all found their way into the market.
Its regrettable that the days of being able to identify the home base of a vehicle from a distance, from its distinct appearance and its livery have gone. Euro boxes pulling predominately white trailers is the order of the day.
Cheese grater Pegaso’s ,amongst others, now just a memory. The photos where great though…!

pv83:
Apologies if this has been posted before (nmp), but this must have been quite a revelation back in the day?! Wonder if that “mythical” 8 cylinder engine was fitted…

Not seen that particular one before, pv83, but a fair few were made with sleeper conversions, some of them high. Some of them were made by Nightrider and others were made to order. I started a thread about Guy Big-J units on long-haul TIR work and put loads of pics of them on there. I’ll try to find it and bump it up if I can remember the name of the thread! Ro

guy004-001.jpg
31867756728_3a81992fb4_z.jpg

The red Guy is the same registration as the picture of the 2 Westfield photo’s which also has the registration of the Pickfords one, so they look like originally both Pickfords vehicles.

Spardo:

pv83:

That is one smart motor, Patrick, if it doesn’t have the 8LXB in it, there may well be a good chance of a full depth sleeper compartment. :wink: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: there there now Dave, don’t upset the diehard Guy fans on here!

jshepguis:
The red Guy is the same registration as the picture of the 2 Westfield photo’s which also has the registration of the Pickfords one, so they look like originally both Pickfords vehicles.

Well spotted!

pv83:

Spardo:

pv83:

:laughing: :laughing: there there now Dave, don’t upset the diehard Guy fans on here!

Not me mate, I was a big Guy fan, first Invincible and then Big J. :wink: Slept comfortably in both, but I never had a sleeper cab. :slight_smile:

ERF-NGC-European:
“DEANB” “ERF-NGC-European”

The Spanish seem to have built rather more robust stepframe tilts than the rest in those days; or was that just their appearance and the multiple drop sides? Ro

Ro,Any idea who the manufacturer of the trailer is ?

Pereco had an office on Poole docks back in the 1970’s/80’s so they must have been a large concern back then.

I’ll have a think, Dean. Spanish tilts had a very distinctive character; I think partly because their drop-sides were much higher than everyone else’s, or in some cases the bays were more strongly divided which gave the sides a ‘ribbed for extra pleasure’ effect :laughing: The only Spanish trailer builder I can think of is Lecitrailer. Pyewacket may know, as he’s good on Spain. Ro

Cheers Ro, Miss seeing those Olloquiegui motor’s about and remember those Dodges well .They used Poole alot back in the 70s/80’s.

L0670.JPG

L0671p.JPG

u1.jpg

Spardo:

pv83:

The exhaust silencer is way too small for the big Percy David.

David

5thwheel:

Spardo:

pv83:

David

Yes, but still a good milk bottle toppler in a narrow street. :wink: :laughing:

Thanks to pv83, ERF-NGC-European, DEANB and Lawrence Dunbar :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

N D Macaskill of Drimore South Uist Outer Hebrides, a father and son operation and nice people to pass the craic with.
First pic father Norman at Howmore South Uist 2014, other three is son Alec.
Oily

Skye Transport was bought by Ferguson Transport 2015. In 2011 John Mackinnon proprietor of Skye Transport was tragically killed. RIP John Mackinnon
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- … s-24985736
Oily

April showers in Dingwall today.
Oily

Spardo:

5thwheel:

Spardo:

pv83:

David

Indeed :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

David

Yes, but still a good milk bottle toppler in a narrow street. :wink: :laughing:

Has Dan ordered some new wagons…? :laughing:

pv83:
Has Dan ordered some new wagons…? :laughing:

Funny thing I looked on Scania website last night G cab 540 & 8 speed box ,just needs some longer u bolts and aluminium blocks under the front springs :open_mouth:

Barreiros Super Azor with Berliet ‘Relaxe’ cab inspired…

Nice tidy Scottish rig here Oily, cheers Buzzer.