Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Spardo:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Sadley the load of Linseed Flake was usually for the dreaded, Ranks in Gateshead, Its one of the worst tipping points that I have ever delivered to in driving days I wont go into detail but their workers were some of the Laziest [zb] that I ever had dealings apart from Liverpool Dockers. Regards Larry.

Was that Baltic Mills, Larry? I think it was there where the exit was a sharp right turn up a steep slope and, with my LAD Dodge with batteries rear of cab on the chassis, the front wheels started up the slope and the corner of the trailer smashed one of the batteries.I drove it all the way home to Nottingham keeping the engine going and revving up at traffic lights to keep myself illuminated. :unamused:

Hi Spardo, Thats the place, A awfull place to load or tip, They were the most awkward people to have dealings with, I was highly delighted when closed down, Their employees made things very awkward for drivers going in there, Mind you most of this type of flour mills were all the same wherever you went, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Spardo:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Sadley the load of Linseed Flake was usually for the dreaded, Ranks in Gateshead, Its one of the worst tipping points that I have ever delivered to in driving days I wont go into detail but their workers were some of the Laziest [zb] that I ever had dealings apart from Liverpool Dockers. Regards Larry.

Was that Baltic Mills, Larry? I think it was there where the exit was a sharp right turn up a steep slope and, with my LAD Dodge with batteries rear of cab on the chassis, the front wheels started up the slope and the corner of the trailer smashed one of the batteries.I drove it all the way home to Nottingham keeping the engine going and revving up at traffic lights to keep myself illuminated. :unamused:

Hi Spardo, Thats the place, A awfull place to load or tip, They were the most awkward people to have dealings with, I was highly delighted when closed down, Their employees made things very awkward for drivers going in there, Mind you most of this type of flour mills were all the same wherever you went, Regards Larry.

I thought so, to be honest I was so traumatised by the smashed battery and the worry as to whether I would get home with it. that I have completely forgotten now whether I was loading or tipping or even how well I was (mis)treated by the workforce. But they must have been bad for you to have mentioned them in the same sentence as Liverpool dockers. :unamused:

Hi Oily I first went into BOCM Selby mill riding shotgun in an Albion Chieftain as a 14 year boy on shcool holidays with one of three brothers who ran a haulage business in my home town loading 9 or 10 tons Red Label cattle cake for delivery to West ■■■■■■■■■■ Farmers depot back here or for two or three drops around local farms. A few years later I was back regularly driving for the same firm on a LAD cabbed Leyland Comet or sometimes a Commer TS3 four wheeler 1963. It certainly was a good loading place if you got good lad dropping the bags down the chute, I could load 10 tons in 1 cwt bags in about 25 minutes.
Happy days, Leyland 600.

oiltreader:
From France, credit to Dave Fawcett for the photos.
Oily

The first is a Renault G 320 fitted with a polyester Loheac cab.

Leyland600:
Hi Oily I first went into BOCM Selby mill riding shotgun in an Albion Chieftain as a 14 year boy on shcool holidays with one of three brothers who ran a haulage business in my home town loading 9 or 10 tons Red Label cattle cake for delivery to West ■■■■■■■■■■ Farmers depot back here or for two or three drops around local farms. A few years later I was back regularly driving for the same firm on a LAD cabbed Leyland Comet or sometimes a Commer TS3 four wheeler 1963. It certainly was a good loading place if you got good lad dropping the bags down the chute, I could load 10 tons in 1 cwt bags in about 25 minutes.
Happy days, Leyland 600.

When I first got a chance at driving I was working for an agricultural engineer and he bought an older ALBION CHIEFTAIN with wooden cabin at a sale near Kendall it was I,m sure a " Westfarmers " reject or surplus I remember it was pale blue with a circle or logo on the door but it was nearly 60 years ago ■■? … I felt like " king of the road " …!!!

Southampton docks

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

Ade

Lawrence Dunbar:

Spardo:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Chancelot Mill of Lofty Peak flour fame based in Leith used to run two ERF or Atki 8-legger tankers into Baltic Flour Mill Gateshead at night in 70s and 80s.I wonder if they were buggered about like you Larry and David? I used to see them regularly at night when on a Stannington or Morpeth trunk changeover.
Photo is not mine,it’s copyrighted but I don’t know who to.

chancelotmill1.jpg

Great shot

F213D036-95B6-46CD-BCA6-7E9272F33DB0.jpeg

coomsey:
Proper working gal ! NMP off FB

And a very handsome gal. :smiley: What time do I start ?

Leyland600:
Happy days, Leyland 600.

Yes happy days G, oh that today we could have a smidgen of the fitness we enjoyed back then.
Oily

backsplice:

Leyland600:
Happy days, Leyland 600.

When I first got a chance at driving I was working for an agricultural engineer and he bought an older ALBION CHIEFTAIN with wooden cabin at a sale near Kendall it was I,m sure a " Westfarmers " reject or surplus I remember it was pale blue with a circle or logo on the door but it was nearly 60 years ago ■■? … I felt like " king of the road " …!!!

One like this backplice
Cheers
Oily

Flour Michael Trolove cc by sa 2.0 Bowmans of Hitchin 3827414_761998fd mt .jpg

Thanks to coomsey, Lawrence Dunbar, lurpak, Chris Webb and robthedog for he pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: and the craic’s going well :smiley:
Oily
With topic on flour, a selection of millers wagons credit to Richard Says for the photos.

Flour Richard 42470377071_f49fbf6340_k.jpg

Flour Richard 28299728995_954e03620b_k.jpg

Flour Richard 25974138643_3c6ec8b446_k.jpg

Flour Richard 41825354771_2733080a87_rs k.jpg

Flour Richard 27750476477_a1aa3d0767_rs k.jpg

Flour Richard 29216289168_a520aa7b8f_rs k.jpg

The company you are thinking of backsplice is West ■■■■■■■■■■ Farmers, registered office Catherine St, Whitehaven, they had a large fleet of Albion Chieftains with coach built cabs all working on bagged farm feed deliveries. Here is a Commer
WCF Commer.JPG showing the company logo supplied new by Myers & Bowman, Distington in the late 1960s / early 70s.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

using the opening side today

Delivering small tugs for export now being transported in the curtainsider with in built beaver tail .

yours has got to be the most versatile motor i’ve ever seen dan… credit to ya… :sunglasses: :wink: