Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

17 July 1985
B439
Binton
Welford on Avon
Warks

Parked in a old disused rail yard this old warrior as been photographed many times.
It is a WW2 GMC fitted with a replacement Fordson radiator,
The machinery behind the cab is a winch and i believe was used dredging a lake.
Surrounded by rusting traction engines and machinery it was heaven for relic hunters.
Its all gone now of course, though the old railway building is still there, surrounded by a
‘Exciting, or was it stunning’ development of ‘exclusive executive’ homes…
I believe the GMC still exists.

170785p.jpg

gazsa401:

Just found this for sale on eBay I wonder if it’s one of Spardos old lorries?

Got a return message from the seller of the ERF:

Hi … arrh no worries… I know a little bit of history about it … she came from down south axminister I think… it was used around a factory most of its life …the only reason they sold it is because they parked it by the office’s and when it was started in the mornings it smoked the office staff out apparently… I bought it off a friend’s father before he died it had been sat in a field for a long time and I was going to restore it but my plans have changed… I’m planning to move to limousine south of France in the near future when all the covid has calmed down… I don’t really want to sell it I have thought of take it with me . I know Nottingham quite well too I lived in cotgrave for a while…

I have an idea that Toray may have been involved with Axminster carpets, being in the same area of business, textile fabrics, so that would explain it’s presence and age if it was just an old yard vehicle. Still surprised it is a flat body though. If he ever does bring it to France, unlikely in the present climate, we might meet up and if he does restore it it will be reported here. :smiley:
I gave him a link to this page, hope it isn’t against Ebay’s rules. :unamused:

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0259.JPG

Somewhere in the French countryside yesterday, an ERF dealer.

Froggy55:
0Somewhere in the French countryside yesterday, an ERF dealer.

Do you know where that dealer was “Froggy55”

Scammell Explorer.

Froggy55:
Somewhere in the French countryside yesterday, an ERF dealer.

That won’t be an ERF dealer, Froggy. They always had the standard ERF lettering and later the logo. Earlier dealers had signs like the one in Belgium below:

Later ones, after the E-series came out, had the added diagonal red, white and blue flash.

The one in the picture is green and clearly represents some agricultural firm in France, IMHO.

Ro

Just a joke, of course! That place is a builders store in the premises of a long-closed railway station in Druyes les Belles Fontaines (Yonne, Burgundy). We were there yesterday for a day out and, at the sight of that, I immediately knew it would be on Trucknet this mornoing.
Cheers
Paul

Thanks to 240 Gardner, lurpak, pyewacket947v, Lawrence Dunbar, Froggy55, DEANB and ERF-NGC-European for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Once upon a time BOCM Pauls now branded For Farmers.
Oily

BOCM Barlby Selby, credit to Alan Murray-Rust for the photo.
Oily

BOCM LTD Selby, Thats a blast from the past, I used to reload there in late 60s Early 70s. It was OK if you got there sharpish they had s drivers rest room with long type bar seats,So get straight in and place your sleeping bag and a cushion, And I was me booked in, They worked night shift so it could be very late in the evening when you got loaded, No probs sheet up undercover and park up outside ready for a 6.00am start. Sadley the load of Linseed Flake was usually for the dreaded, Ranks in Gateshead, Its one of the worst tipping points that I have ever delivered to in driving days I wont go into detail but their workers were some of the Laziest ■■■■■ that I ever had dealings apart from Liverpool Dockers. Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Sadley the load of Linseed Flake was usually for the dreaded, Ranks in Gateshead, Its one of the worst tipping points that I have ever delivered to in driving days I wont go into detail but their workers were some of the Laziest [zb] that I ever had dealings apart from Liverpool Dockers. Regards Larry.

Was that Baltic Mills, Larry? I think it was there where the exit was a sharp right turn up a steep slope and, with my LAD Dodge with batteries rear of cab on the chassis, the front wheels started up the slope and the corner of the trailer smashed one of the batteries.I drove it all the way home to Nottingham keeping the engine going and revving up at traffic lights to keep myself illuminated. :unamused:

From France, credit to Dave Fawcett for the photos.
Oily

French Dave Fawcett 1962) ALM TPK 4.45 51002837827_be222d866a_o.jpg

France  (1958) Bernard T150.35 Dave Fawcett TKN 50968315778_d5f7a4e4c9_o.jpg

Proper working gal ! NMP off FB