Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

From the past Jim Squibb was from Southampton and early into International work also a speedway rider back in the day, think he once told me a new F88 as pictured was about seven grand to buy new so a lot different to nowadays, Buzzer.

jsquibb.jpg

I saw Jim ride many times, I bet he has probably left us now though?

Pete.

windrush:
I saw Jim ride many times, I bet he has probably left us now though?

Pete.

Pete Jim passed in 2004, I went to school with Barry his son who was a year younger than me in Bartley where they were first based, Barry went on to run International with his dad Jim under the banner of “Transport Services” and later when the transport ended Barry ran a hotel in Devon or Cornwall some where, Cheers Buzzer.

Thanks to pv83 and Buzzer for the pics :smiley: :smiley:
Couple of Devon wagons, all credit to Graham Richardson for the photos.
Oily

Devon firm again on the A9 heading north at Cromarty Firth Bridge June 2013.
Oily

Cornish pair, all credit to SCP for the photos.
Oily

This was taken in Byker, Newcastle but not sure when or how the front axle became detached from the rest of the vehicle. Tyneside

tyneside:
This was taken in Byker, Newcastle but not sure when or how the front axle became detached from the rest of the vehicle. Tyneside

Now that’s a puzzler Tyneside :confused: great photo.
Oily

oiltreader:

tyneside:

Oily

Well this is a classic photo Tyneside. If you have a closer look at the springs , Both top leaves seem to have no shackle pin holes. Perhaps they snapped causing this to happen. Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

oiltreader:

tyneside:

Oily

Well this is a classic photo Tyneside. If you have a closer look at the springs , Both top leaves seem to have no shackle pin holes. Perhaps they snapped causing this to happen. Regards Larry.

Sure i remember reading somewhere that the rear end of the springs were a slipper fitting, and the Scammell attempting to pull away began to bounce at the front end higher and higher, till the whole thing flipped downwards and out, Damage i believe was minimal…
I say Scammell but is it not a ex HHT, that cab looks very Volvo like.!!

Your quite correct, They did have slipper type springs, Thanks for the info, They wagon is a Scammell IMO, It has the Hub Reduction axles, Regards Larry.

It certainly looks like a F88 cab to me, If not ex Heanor it is a copy of the idea.

For it to end up in that position, it must have been going backwards ,wouldn’t it ? :confused:

Or ripped off when being towed?

Certainly its had problems with the incline, whether a lower gear was attempted and it caused the front end to bounce and then lead to spring damage, the offside spring is missing a short piece, notice the foxclip is lower down the spring than on the nearside it seems to have snapped right at the point where the eye for the shackle should be, the other side shows the rounder end of the spring, also the axle lies over to that side if both springs were of the same length the axle would be straight. There are signs of the springs dragging so the whole lot must have moved back then flipped before coming to a halt, the front axle ending up in that position likely helped to halt the backward movement and by then the loss of air would have applied the rear brakes too. As mentioned minimal damage really but I wonder if any blame was made! Also as said it has a Volvo F88 cab fitted to the original Scammell unit, AL is a Nottingham reg so its a good chance to have been an ex Heanor Haulage converted motor. Franky.

Nice bit of info there Franky, I suspect you and pyewack are correct. Tyneside

It is the ex Heanor Haulage HHT2 which was sold to GCS Johnson then onto Parnabys. The incident happened at cut bank in Newcastle when they were Helping Leicester Heavy Haulage with a move to Swan Hunters and the vehicle slowly got dragged backwards and with the axle bouncing the springs came out of the slippers. They managed to use a recovery vehicle and replaced the front springs and that was it and load was safely delivered.
There is an article in this month’s Heritage Commercial all about SAL, which was her registration SAL 513R which is an interesting read.

Here is another of HHT’s Contractors now under ownership of Sherwood Recovery of Underwood Notts and seems to be parked in Meeks yard. Note the cab and the HHT badging. I knew Underwood well my younger Brother lived there when he was an OD and it was a handy stop over either travelling South or heading back North. Franky.

Off FB

What is/was it?