Passing c+e in manual

So I’ve booked my self a course in feb as mentioned with red rose training , all there vehicles are Manual

Would this effect my ability on pass ?

I passed in a manual wag & drag. Only got 1 minor, which wasn’t gears related.

A lot of people say it’s easier to pass in an auto, which it may well be, but, since passing my tests, the only trucks I’ve driven are manuals.

Your ability to pass would come down to your level of training I would imagine, not whether or not you’re driving a manual or auto.

I passed on w & d as well. A man 04 plate slap box. Didnt had any prob with it. And i found out IMO w&d is easier to revers than arctic

The whole auto vs manual thing is overblown I think. On paper an auto is easier to drive but because of this examiners will be watching your road position and mirrors much closer as a result.

Its not really that hard to change gear in a hgv, so wouldnt really worry about it.

As said above, plenty of people have passed in manuals including me, and plenty still go on doing it. Looking back I don’t regret it.
A LOT is said on here about W&D vs artic and Auto vs manual. My opinion is that the instructor is more important than any of these other factors. So basically I wouldn’t worry about it.

On paper an auto is easier to drive but because of this examiners will be watching your road position and mirrors much closer as a result.

Not aware of any basis for that statement. Any evidence?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thank you guys, should be ok just wondered if it made things harder,but sounds not :slight_smile:

No one can advise you on here JS06, you really really need to give it a try, trust me it so much easier but you have to try it, how much easier depends on your ability!

I’m an instructor that has seen the massive difference to pass rates since going automatic, changing gear isn’t hard thats not the point, the fact is you can spend more time concentrating on the road and you will in better control of the vehicle. Examiners won’t mark you harder, that tosh, they are looking for the same in any candidate.

Look ma, no gear lever and I can drive this truck with a foot to spare!

Cool, I am pretty good with the gears. I had Manual in my C and didn’t struggle with the gears at all, so it shouldn’t be a problem, I hope

Should be fine then, the average car driver will struggle but more capable customers like yourself will adapt well. Good luck.

Did a ressettlement course with Red Rose, they got me through my class C and C+E first time. Struggled with the gears on the C test but the C+E no problems.

Pepsifarr , was it s good package? As this is what I’m doing with them, heard son good feedback

I managed to get adr, both forklifts, hiab and class c and c+e, with free retests for both licenses. Yeah course was good and instructors I had were very good. Accommodation was good however think they were a bit tight on food. I also felt as I didn’t use my retests they could have thrown in abit of other training. Eg a chance to get some wagon and drag experience or artic depending on what you took your test in.

Is it not the same rules as in a car then? If you pass in an auto, can only drive an auto. But if you pass in a manual, you can drive both?

Anyhow, I passed in a manual Volvo FH artic, preferred the manual side of things as it sets you up better for when you actually get out on the road.

Thanks for the info :slight_smile:

Scanner102, I believe this is correct,if you passed your car in a manual and you do your Arctic in an auto you automatically get manual too,
However if you passed car in a auto it’s totally different

JS06:
Thanks for the info :slight_smile:

Scanner102, I believe this is correct,if you passed your car in a manual and you do your Arctic in an auto you automatically get manual too,
However if you passed car in a auto it’s totally different

If you passed car auto then manual C then auto CE you end up with the lot in manual

never drove anything auto in my life. did anyone messed up and press on brakes when they first time went on auto? it did happen to my friend, nearly cause an accident.