Passengers on Ferries

:slight_smile: Hello.
I’ve heard that if a driver wants to take a passenger in hte cab (the wife) on a Euro run, the boss can put it down as two drivers, for the ferry crossing.
Is that true ? to avoid any costs or trouble?
If this is true, does it work at Poole ? or any others apart from Dover ?
Thanks for looking :slight_smile:

Cant help with Poole, but P & O NSF use to get real stroppy about it,

They would let a company book 2 drivers, but they sometimes checked driving licences if they were busy. and then refuse to let wives, girlfriends or even boyfriends travel. or sometimes let them travel but no cabin

Dover is no problem, you just turn up, there is no extra charge for two drivers as you pay for your meals anyway

From what I remember,it’s only the short sea crossing’s (Dover-Calais) that you don’t get charged for extra driver,passenger.
I know P&O and Stena charge on the North Sea routes.

Maybe it’s just a British thing.I used to use Stena Line Kiel-Gothenburg,TT Line Travemunde-Trelleborg and NordoLink Travemunde-Malmo and there was never any charge for extra driver or passenger.
And that included cabin and meal!

P & O Portsmouth used to be OK about it on the Le Harve & Cherbourg boats. Dont think same can be said about the Billie though. Dont know about Truckline(Caen & St Malo).

Barcelona to Palma de Mallorca wasn´t a problem either neither was Mukran to Klaipeda

holyhead to dublin on the ullyses with irish ferries is, i believe extra £70 for passenger in truck!

paul

Vascoingles:
…Mukran to Klaipeda

Where…■■? :smiley: :open_mouth:

Germany to Lithuania

Neither was the argo from Dover, but it would probably result in Divorce :stuck_out_tongue:

You must have always travelled on luxery crossings then Wheel Nut? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Vascoingles:
Barcelona to Palma de Mallorca wasn´t a problem either neither was Mukran to Klaipeda

nor were astrakhan to turkmenbashi or brindisi to alexandria on the old m/v egitto express :unamused: oh sorry i thought we were in a “who can [zb] furthest competition”

No mate got past that stage a long time ago was just using the examples where I had taken someone along with me

Stevie B[Bergen]:
You must have always travelled on luxery crossings then Wheel Nut? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Look after the pennies and the pounds will be frittered away :stuck_out_tongue:

The Argo was like a cattle truck but with all the animals I worked with, it made us feel at home. At least there were no passengers to complain!

Strangest ferry service was Portsmouth, You put your truck on a ferry, then waited for another one to take you to France. We had to get a taxi to another dock to collect the truck 6 hours later. Sometimes they would fly you over and wait even longer for the slower ferry with your truck on board to arrive

Used to catch one like that back from Dublin to Liverpool. Put truck on ferry, unless you were one of the first 12 drivers to arrive when you travelled with it, night in a hotel in Dublin. Mini-bus to the airport in the morning and catch a transit van with wings to Liverpool airport then another mini-bus to the docks and arrive just as the ferry was docking. The plane you flew over in had holes in the instrument panel where gauges and things used to be, now if they were important enough to be in there when it was built why were they not there now? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: