Passenger

Hi all

Being very locall to Tilbury docks, im fortunate to have alot of transport companies nearby. Im 23 years of age and hold a full C and C+E licence. Once the new year is out the way im going to pop into companies and try and sell myself. Im fully aware that my age will most probably be an issue so…

If a company cant take me as a driver due to lack of experiance etc, i might see if they would let me ride as a passenger to learn the ropes. I have full PPE etc and would state that i dont expect to be paid as im not actually “working” At least it would show im keen and willing to learn, not just grabbing a job for the cash.

Has anyone done this and what is the likelyness of a transport company allowing it :confused:

Look forward to your replies.
Ben

You will get the usual suspects like Truckulent telling you not to work for free. Ignore them.

If it’s what you want to do and you get a job at the end of it then why not? I did one night shift unpaid with another driver to secure myself a permanent full-time job. I am 26 and this was three weeks after I passed my CE. It did me no harm and I now have a job.

Sprat to catch a mackerel and all that.

Yep, I’ve done it both ways, both in the passenger seat and the driving seat. In the passenger seat to watch an old hand take a load of newsreel to Fleet Street in an ERF C60 with a roped and sheeted trailer in early 1987, a few months after I passed my test, I’ve also taken a couple of newly-passed friends on trips to Germany shortly afterwards.

I’ve also taken my boy away for a few trips during the school holidays, the furthest one being to Italy, although it was three or four years ago now, I can’t imagine anyone letting a driver do that any more.

Thanks for your replies.

Im not sure weather company insurance policys would cover me as a passenger but worth asking.

Roping and sheeting…dont see much of that on the road now harry! But what i have seen off it, it definatly looks like there’s a skill to it :open_mouth:

I very rareley see passengers in lorrys…which is a shame. I see the odd driver with his mrs in the motor or one of his littlens, which always makes me smile :grimacing: Gives the next generation a little taster and gets it into their blood.

I’ll have an ask around after new year is out the way, see what a few places say.

Safe driving
Ben

No harm in doing what you suggest because it is not taking a paying job from another driver

Good luck mate. You never know you could walk into a place and get given a job. Don’t be put off by your age. I was 19 when I started driving 7.5 tonners. Same company put me through my C and C and E when I turned 21. I’m 26 now and never had anybody turn me away because of my age. There are some firms still put there that will give you a chance.

bigfoot:
Im not sure weather company insurance policys would cover me as a passenger but worth asking.

Company policy may forbid passengers but the insurance has to cover passengers by law, even if they are not supposed to be there.

i did the freebie thing for my stepdads mate , i spent a few days down the road with his driver starting they very next day after passing my test , it resulted in me being given the keys to his 142 :sunglasses:

i should have had his f89 but it was having overheating problems so i had the 142 instead …

go for it mate its got to be worth a try …

i did the freebie thing for my stepdads mate , i spent a few days down the road with his driver starting they very next day after passing my test , it resulted in me being given the keys to his 142 :sunglasses:

i should have had his f89 but it was having overheating problems so i had the 142 instead …

go for it mate its got to be worth a try …

its that good an idea ive posted it twice … :blush:

one of my starts in the early eighties was to load a trailer to see if i was any good,then there might be an opening good enough i said shall i do it now. told to come back at 17.00 and collect the truck. turned up to be handed the keys to a berliet unit with a tilt on by a mechanic. i did the checks and said where to for the load, he replied bradford its a load of skins. i was in poole dorset. did it anyway and took the job. any chance of a start is just that a chance.go for it