Passed theory and HP :)

Hi all,
This is my first post although ive been hanging around here for a few months gathering information. After being very fed up in my current job and speaking to two mates who are newly passed truckers i decided this is what i want to do, i was born to drive!
I passed my multiple choice and hazard perception this morning woop! Anyway im looking into booking my training for my Cat C at this end of this month as i have a week off work so its an ideal time to get it done. Im booking with AJM in wallasey (anyone else used these?) hopefully they will be able to fit me in but im still waiting for them to answer the phone.
Once i have completed my Cat C I will then be booking in for my C+E but when am i best doing my cpc mod 2 and 4? Im not looking at changing careers untill ive passed my C+E, hopefully march time. From the AJM website they do a cpc + cat C training package but since i havent done my mod 2 should i leave it and just do my cat C training or should i try and squeeze in the mod 2 test before my training to do the cat C & cpc mod 4 together?
Thanks

Many training schools do the Mod 4 during the C training week

Mod 2 must be passed before mod 4 but that is easy and you can book that yourself at the theory test centre

some on here did mods 1a 1b and 2 on the same day at the theory test centre

There is a slot available on the 17th, what sort of questions does the mod 2 include? I’ve have the driver cpc book, just not looked through it yet

It’s very basic stuff. Much like the Mod 1 Multiple Choice.

It’s just seeing if you can put the theory knowledge into an ‘everyday situation’.

Make sure you know your drivers hours for WTD as well as Tacho. I also had a question about ‘O’ licencing and one about ferries.

All other stuff is just common sense within the theory you already know to pass Module 1

It’s multiple choice so make sure you read the question and ALL the answers a couple of times.

Good Luck

Nate187:
There is a slot available on the 17th, what sort of questions does the mod 2 include? I’ve have the driver cpc book, just not looked through it yet

Mod 2 is senarios with a picture for each one and a number of multiple choice questions on each senario
Three things needed to pass mod 2
LGV theory knowledge
Driving goods vehicles book
COMMON SENSE

Ok thanks ROG & dar1976. Ive just got off the phone to AJM, he can only do thur and fri that week so i’ll have to juggle the training around my shifts. He’s gonna phone me back with some test dates and work it from there. At least it gives me chance to get the mod2 done so i can do the mod4 at the same time, PLUS thur 26th is my 30th birthday so get to drive a truck for the 1st time on my 30th birthday :smiley:

Hmm he hasn’t got back to me after saying he’d phone at 5. I know if somebody would want to hand me 2k I’d be straight back on the phone to them

Nate187:
Hi all,
After being very fed up in my current job and speaking to two mates who are newly passed truckers i decided this is what i want to do, i was born to drive!

Cool, that’s a good enough reason. Be prepared to be too hot or too cold, get dirty, greasy, filthy and soaking wet, be spoken to like the lowest piece of scum in the land, pee in a bottle and ■■■ in a Tesco carrier bag with the curtains closed.

But, for me it still beats office or factory work.

Nate187:
Hmm he hasn’t got back to me after saying he’d phone at 5. I know if somebody would want to hand me 2k I’d be straight back on the phone to them

He will probably call you tomorrow. Remember he has pupils training today, he is operating trucks today, any number of more immediately important things may have arisen which may have been more demanding of his time.

Welcome and good luck, by the way :wink:

im still waiting for them to answer the phone.

Not a good start

Hmm he hasn’t got back to me after saying he’d phone at 5. I know if somebody would want to hand me 2k I’d be Just a bit

He will probably call you tomorrow. Remember he has pupils training today, he is operating trucks today, any number of more immediately important things may have arisen which may have been more demanding of his time.

Time to prioritise and organise.

Good luck if you choose to continue with this trainer. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Time to prioritise and organise.

If I ran an HGV… err, I mean an LGV driving school and an instructor phoned me at a minute to five telling me he had just had a puncture on a busy dual carriageway and his pupil was bricking it, I would give priority to sorting that out, even if it meant I had to phone a potential trainee tomorrow morning rather than this afternoon.

Time to prioritise and organise. :wink:

Won’t make any difference to the training dates should he choose to go ahead…

First impressions go a long way, if you have any doubts don’t hand over any money. I looked in to trainers before I even phoned them, saw the trucks they had and all that then phoned the 2 I liked and had a chat and went in for a meet. Hope you sort it either way and good luck mate!

If I ran an HGV… err, I mean an LGV driving school and an instructor phoned me at a minute to five telling me he had just had a puncture on a busy dual carriageway and his pupil was bricking it, I would give priority to sorting that out, even if it meant I had to phone a potential trainee tomorrow morning rather than this afternoon.

Sorry, I don’t agree. Yes of course you have to sort out the puncture (if the instructor is so incapable in which case the in house training needs attention) but to not phone a customer back is inefficient and rude. The post was timed at 6,02 by which time he still hadn’t been phoned. It’s unforgivable.

The problem is that some trainers are literally 1 man bands which means they can’t spend time on the phone with a potential customer as they are out training. Or, if they do, the trainee is left to their own devices which is clearly unacceptable. But the 1 man band should still return a call when promised - if only to say that the information isn’t available and there will be a further call at whatever time. And stick to it.

To promise a call at 5pm and expect someone to wait till the next day is just not on. Personally, I would run a mile if that happened to me. If they can’t make a call on time, what else cant they do?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

It is frustrating when companies promise to call back but dont. You feel it even more when you are the customer and ready to buy. When you do speak perhaps ask politely why he didnt call you, he may have a perfectly valid reason.

1 man band operators suffer from this type of issue more than the larger training providers because obviously they do not have the same resources ie staff levels. They also tend not to have the systems in place like reminder systems, automatic timed texts and emails that make a small company appear more efficient than perhaps they otherwise would.

Perhaps another option would be to take the advice given on here countless times, have an assessment drive with more than 1 company. They will get their finger out if they know thats your plan.

Thanks for the replies lads, i didnt mean to start off a debate :laughing:

Anyway i still didnt recieve a call off him toady. I was working nights last night but instead of getting my head down for a couple of hrs in the day to see me through the night, i waited for his call that never came, thats the thing that annoyed me.

This is the webite, it is recommended on the list of trainers on the forum AJM Transport | HGV Driver Training Wirral, Liverpool & Merseyside

Im tempted to phone another company in the area http://www.truck-school.co.uk/

Am i over reacting or am i just getting stubburn in my old age? :smiley:
Pete if only you were local…

Nate187:
Thanks for the replies lads, i didnt mean to start off a debate :laughing:

Anyway i still didnt recieve a call off him toady. I was working nights last night but instead of getting my head down for a couple of hrs in the day to see me through the night, i waited for his call that never came, thats the thing that annoyed me.

This is the webite, it is recommended on the list of trainers on the forum AJM Transport | HGV Driver Training Wirral, Liverpool & Merseyside

Im tempted to phone another company in the area http://www.truck-school.co.uk/

Am i over reacting or am i just getting stubburn in my old age? :smiley:
Pete if only you were local…

Can’t comment on the validity of either of the above.

Peter does have free accommodation included with his courses. Its no 5 star hotel but it’s clean and comfortable. Food is ok too.

I would also suggest you take a look at the list of schools that others have had dealings with and recommended. It can be found here :
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=44667&p=503949#p503949

Good Luck. And as usual… Don’t part with any money until you are totally happy. Go and see the premises, trucks, trainers etc.

Thanks dar, thing is AJM is the only reccommended one in my area, i’d have to travel a distance after that. But it could possibly be worth it

There are trainers doing free B and B :wink:

Noworries:
There are trainers doing free B and B :wink:

Well it’s not free. It’s just included in the cost of the course. I believe John at Flair Training does it too so long as your home Post Code is more than 70 miles from their base.

dar1976:
It’s very basic stuff. Much like the Mod 1 Multiple Choice.

It’s just seeing if you can put the theory knowledge into an ‘everyday situation’.

Make sure you know your drivers hours for WTD as well as Tacho. I also had a question about ‘O’ licencing and one about ferries.

All other stuff is just common sense within the theory you already know to pass Module 1

It’s multiple choice so make sure you read the question and ALL the answers a couple of times.

Good Luck

Whats all this module stuff? do newly qualified drivers have up to 2014 to do their 35 hours cpc training?

There are 4 modules that make up a commercial driving licence if you passed your car test after 1997. The CPC module 4 will give you a DQC card which will be valid for 5 years. In the following 5 years you will need to attend 35 hours of CPC training to renew your commercial entitlement.

If you passed it before 1997 you only need to do 2 modules, the theory and the practical, as the CPC is covered by acquired rights until 2014 when you should have completed 35 hours of CPC training to drive commercially.