Passed the class 1

Well I past the classs 1 today with 3 minors on my first go. The test was almost cancelled due to the trailer lights always blowing a fuse but I got to carry on with the test but at the end whilst doing my trailer light checks I had no indicators but he let it slide. Below is a little video I took whilst practicing the reversing excerise.

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=9059f7293cf2d1f7d82f8d&skin_id=601&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

:smiley: :smiley:

euroscot:
a little video I took whilst practicing the reversing excerise.

onetruemedia.com/shared?p=90 … m=text_url

Any chance of that going on youtube ?

May I use it for a training aid in the LGV TRAINING TIPS :question:

ROG:

euroscot:
a little video I took whilst practicing the reversing excerise.

onetruemedia.com/shared?p=90 … m=text_url

Yeah sure you can, I did put it on youtube but it cancels the audio because of the music. I’ll add it again though.

euroscot:
I did put it on youtube but it cancels the audio because of the music. I’ll add it again though.

Thanks - this site sports a video tab for youtube - not bothered about sound as it is a visual experience.
Please put a link to the youtube version on here please if poss.

hi euroscot

great news on passing good luck mate

ROG:

if you use the video Rog use the second part the first part of the video he was holding the camera in one hand and IMHO that would not be a good video for newbee :wink: :wink: :slight_smile:

well done fella first time and 3 minors good job and good luck for future :smiley:

delboytwo:
the second part the first part of the video he was holding the camera in one hand and IMHO that would not be a good video for newbee

I see no safety issue as it was on private land, at a very slow speed and I assume was sanctioned by his instructor.

ROG:

delboytwo:
the second part the first part of the video he was holding the camera in one hand and IMHO that would not be a good video for newbee

I see no safety issue as it was on private land, at a very slow speed and I assume was sanctioned by his instructor.

i can not believe you said that :frowning: it does not matter whether is on private land and at slow speed, if you think driving like that is a good way to show trainees you do it mate, but i thought you like to give good advise not show silly videos that would be the wrong way of doing it :frowning:

If its on private ground I don’t see any issues, if I have permission to be there I could use my own truck and not even have an instructor present.

euroscot:
If its on private ground I don’t see any issues, if I have permission to be there I could use my own truck and not even have an instructor present.

i am only saying that it gives a bad way of doing the reverse by showing a camera in the window as you were holding it with one arm and it not how you would be show how to do it, your instructor does not go and do it with a camera in his hand did he,and it would give IMHO a newbie a bad example of the right way to do it as IMO you never looked in your other mirror

in the film your second part is fine.

The camera is seeing the same as what the driver is so it’s not as if the driver is looking in the wrong place.
There is no problem in doing a one-handed reverse as long as the vehicle is under control - even the DSA will pass that.

Most on here know that I am a full advocate of driving safely in all circumstances and I cannot find a reasonable safety angle here to pontificate about.

ROG:
The camera is seeing the same as what the driver is

so how come the driver never looked in the other mirror, what we need is an other point of view on this so i hope a trainer would read this and look at the video and see if there would use it as a training aid that is the first part of the video

Please remember that the purpose of the video is to show what is happening and not the correct DSA test procedures.
Those DSA test procedures can & will be explained by the instructor just as I could write about them on here.
What I could not do in the written word is to put an exact picture of what is actually happening which is why the video is so useful and comes into it’s own.

Just to add - the mirror view on this video makes it different from others I have put in the LGV TRAINING TIPS thread :slight_smile:

delboytwo:

ROG:
The camera is seeing the same as what the driver is

so how come the driver never looked in the other mirror, what we need is an other point of view on this so i hope a trainer would read this and look at the video and see if there would use it as a training aid that is the first part of the video

Actually I didn’t use the near side mirror at all, the cone disappears on that side so you’d only be guessin where the trailer is in conjunction to the cone. What I did was full lock then full lock the opposite direction until I was running parrallel to the line and then worked out the distance I had to reverse (length of unit) before straighting the unit up then I would miss the cone and reverse into box by looking out the window, you can actually do the whole exercise without looking in a mirror once. I wasn’t told how to do this, the instructor thought it best I do it my own way until I get it right. And maybe you disagree doing it this way but it still got me through my test with 3 minors first time, none of which was for the reversing exercise.

euroscot:
you can actually do the whole exercise without looking in a mirror once. I wasn’t told how to do this, the instructor thought it best I do it my own way until I get it right. And maybe you disagree doing it this way but it still got me through my test with 3 minors first time, none of which was for the reversing exercise

You were very lucky - the DSA examiners I know would have failed for that as there is no check on anyone approaching from the other side

Keeping good all-round vision is a reversing requirement on test or otherwise

ROG:

euroscot:
you can actually do the whole exercise without looking in a mirror once. I wasn’t told how to do this, the instructor thought it best I do it my own way until I get it right. And maybe you disagree doing it this way but it still got me through my test with 3 minors first time, none of which was for the reversing exercise

You were very lucky - the DSA examiners I know would have failed for that as there is no check on anyone approaching from the other side

Keeping good all-round vision is a reversing requirement on test or otherwise

Don’t think I used the near side mirror as I could see everything when the unit straightened up and the cones were laid out against a kerb so nothing would have been coming up my near side.

Actually I didn’t use the near side mirror at all,

Accident looking for a place to happen. Sort it out before it’s too late - - PLEASE! :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Accident looking for a place to happen. Sort it out before it’s too late - - PLEASE! :laughing: :laughing:

I’ll use a mirror when I deam it fit to do so.

euroscot:

Peter Smythe:

I’ll use a mirror when I deam it fit to do so.

Sorry I agree with Peter and with that attitude that accident will be sooner rather than later, not using your nearside mirror in Leicester test centre will be a serious and a fail and so it should.