Passed My multiple/hazard theories

Hi all,

Firstly Id like to say hello, I’m Danny from Newcastle Upon tyne. Iv been a lurker on the forums for a few months now trying to get information on becoming a HGV driver for a living.
As you have seen the title says Iv passed the first couple of theories and will be doing my CPC case studies this week.

A little about myself, currently work in the retail and have done for the past 10 years. :cry: Since my son was born last year Iv sort of grown up more( I’m 27) and wanted to do better for myself and new family. Passed my driving test couple years ago and had to drive around the country (UK) for training with work which was my first time driving properly you could say.
Iv always had a interest in trucks and wanted to drive them since I was young, even went out with a friend and his dad a few times when he worked for Owen Pugh.

The main reason for wanting to drive for a living as Iv said already is to better myself and family and do something completely different but have a interest in. Working in retail for 10 years Iv sort of learned a lot but I’m at the point now where I dont really enjoy what I do because of the company I work for has changed so much and isn’t what is used to be.

So far so good in my journey. Due to all the information Iv gotten from the forum and down to my younger brother who is a bit of a truck nut for telling me about the form.

I will keep you posted on my journey.

Danny!

Hi, welcome to the forum and congratulations on the theory passes. When it comes to selecting your trainer, take great care. Avoid websites claiming to have training centres around the country - - no trainer has. These are simply brokers who will relieve you of your hard-earned and place you with the cheapest trainer they can find.

Try to get recommendations from someone you know. You could check out the recommended trainers page on the forum. You should also have a look at the DVSA list of Accredited Training Centres. This is at dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php

Once you have found trainers that seem ok, book assessment drives before booking. This will satisfy you that they are genuine, give you an opportunity to meet the trainers and look at the vehicles. Be aware that not all training is the same.

We have endless numbers come to us from all over the UK for residential courses because some of the local offerings didn’t fit the bill.

Any questions, fire away or send me a pm.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Any

Well done on your current passes, all good advice from Peter, I have recently passed taking good advice on here from Peter and Rog I had 4 trial drives, nothing like it, simply pick a trainer and truck you click with, and don’t pay for any trial all mine were free. Got through with 5 minors but job done, roughly 30 mins each, 3 on road 1x all private land and roads. All time behind the wheel helping towards test day.

Thanks guys.

I have been looking at Tyneside training services and I know they are on the good list here on the forum. They do a assessment drive which is £30 but that comes off the total of the main course.

Also going to make contact with Tyneside Lgv.

Well done on the passes mate, as above pick your trainer wisely. I’ve just used Tyne and Wear LGV who are really good, Tyneside training services and Sunderland LGV to name a few. You could maybe try a hand full for an assessment drive and choose the trainer you prefer because at the end of the day it’s all your hard earned cash what you are paying them. Good luck and keep us updated on the progress :smiley:

peachmelba:
Well done on the passes mate, as above pick your trainer wisely. I’ve just used Tyne and Wear LGV who are really good, Tyneside training services and Sunderland LGV to name a few. You could maybe try a hand full for an assessment drive and choose the trainer you prefer because at the end of the day it’s all your hard earned cash what you are paying them. Good luck and keep us updated on the progress :smiley:

Also thanks!

I going to call Tyneside LGV tomorrow to talk to them and arrange an assessment also.

Booked a drive with Tyneside Lgv guys for the 21st and tts on the 30th. So far from what I’v read everything is pointing towards Tyneside Lgv.

I do work right next to the tts also.

So today I had my cpc case studies test and passed first time. Now just for to wait for the 21st and the 30th September for my assessment drives.

Is there anything I between now and the drive I could do to help myself.

Danny, which company did you think was the best trainer from your assessment drives?

Baymax:
Danny, which company did you think was the best trainer from your assessment drives?

Well, both companies were very good. For me it was the TTS at Kingston Park. Found them very professional and welcoming. Any questions or things I wasn’t sure on they helped me with no problem at all.

Looked at the website and it does look a decent set up. One thing I don’t like is this statement which just isn’t true:

[/We are an accredited Driver Standards Agency (DSA) and Skills for Logistics (SfL) training centre.quote]

I don’t know about the SFL list, but they are definitely NOT a DSA Accredited Training Centre. Given that it all looks good, why make claims like this that, in my view, undermine what otherwise looks good?

This is the list of DVSA LGV Accredited Training Centres: dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php

Pete :laughing: :laughing: