Passed module 4 today.could do with fireworks lol. and a job

Hi folks passed module 4 today for my class (C) (practical passed early nov) and soon as i receive my qualification im gonna bug the hell out of agencies etc until i get some work :smiley:

Well done mate, wish you well finding a job. Great feeling passing aint it :slight_smile:

Well done. I have mine booked for next week so hope I pass first time.

A cancellation came up so its been bought forward.

Dean

Dewyuk:
Hi folks passed module 4 today for my class (C) (practical passed early nov)

Hi Dewyuk,

:grimacing: CONGRATULATIONS on passing your CPC mod 4 test :smiley:
:smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley:

That’s the fireworks sorted. :grimacing:

Dewyuk:
and soon as i receive my qualification im gonna bug the hell out of agencies etc until i get some work :smiley:

That’s the spirit mate, keep it up and something will turn up for you. Good luck!! :smiley:

Thanks folks,it is a great feeling yes…a great relief aswell lol…Dar Good luck im sure you will be fine…take your time and try not to forget anything…if theres any questions you have for a rookie then fire ahead.

Cheers for the Fireworks too diesel…ive been reading loads of the training blogs and diarys on here so was hoping the day would come for my own display hehe :sunglasses:

Dewyuk:
Cheers for the Fireworks too diesel…ive been reading loads of the training blogs and diarys on here so was hoping the day would come for my own display hehe :sunglasses:

Hi Dewyuk,

The fireworks hardly seem good enough for the effort it now takes for you guys to pass the LGV driving test.

IMHO, gaining the LGV licence is much harder these days compared to when I did mine back in 1979, cos we didn’t have any of the CPC malarky and you could just go straight to Cat C+E on “double Ls” even if you didn’t have a car licence!! :open_mouth:

go straight to Cat C+E on “double Ls” even if you didn’t have a car licence!!

Yes, that’s right Dave. That’s back in the days when we instructors really used to earn our money. The first lesson in an artic used to start off with the famous words “down on the floor in front of you you’ll see three pedals”

And they say it was the “good old days”. I think not!!

Fact is, whether or not folk want to accept it, that drivers who go through the initial driver cpc are rather more knowledgeable than I was when I was let loose. Learning as you go is all very well and good as long as nothing goes wrong in the process.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

You have brought back a few memories there Peter and Dave. It is true, when I started training back in 1983 there was no theory test, no compulsory passing on a rigid 1st. Straight onto an artic and of course no CPC.

Just take a medical, apply to the local traffic area office for the HGV provisional (a little brown/black book with a front page stuck inside). After that take the lessons and test.

In the test was a forward steering excercise which was started straight after the reverse from within the bay. 3 cones placed on the centre line that you had to slalom through and end up driving into another bay at the far end of the area.

No trailer coupling excercise. I recall the examiner would ask a few questions about coupling at the start of the test. At the end of the drive he would show a few road signs you had to identify from a flip over book he carried.,

From memory most courses were about 8 or 10 days long. Imagine having the luxury of having that long now to get someone ready.

One thing has always puzzled me, why does everyone call it Class 2 when in fact all 2 axled trucks were HGV 3. Only rigids with more than 2 axles were class 2. You also got a full drawbar entitlement automatically when you passed either Class 3 or 2.

I do agree with Peter that a driver passing his Class 1 now is far more knowledgeable than back then.

P.S test fees were ÂŁ32 and training was about ÂŁ45 per day.

Congratulations on passing your mod4 dewyuk & good luck with the job hunt :smiley:

Congratulations go bug them agencies, don’t give up

Now then Dave all this talk of when I did mine 1979…LGV trainer 1983…well now I do feel like an old ■■■■ 1971…bah humbug…come on Pete I am sure you beat me :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

All the best

Rick

(a little brown/black book with a front page stuck inside).

… and oh, the joy of replacing the little red (provisional) sticker with the blue one (full licence).

I feel very old but I also remember when the PSV licence was like a bit of blue tissue paper and cost 5 bob (25p to you young’ns).

Apologies for wandering off thread - senior moment. Will continue my afternoon nap now.

I would agree that it is quite an effort to get through nowadays.In my opinion this can only discourage younger drivers from going for the licence (who knows maybe this is the Governments aim).If you consider the costs involved from day 1 (medical,theory test books,hpt cd-rom,theory test fee,module 2 fee,cost of training course,practical test fees,retest fee if necessary,module 4 fees,digital tacho fee,loss of earnings whilst training) and after all that jargon you could still end up walking away from it all -ÂŁ2000 with absolutely sweet FA to show for it

And when the test has been passed the final insult is the fact that your 5 year cpc periodic training cycle begins the minute you pass your test :smiling_imp:

A little gripe i had at the time of training was that the chap that done the course with me did have to do initial cpc modules,this was because he had passed car licence before jan 1997(even though he had never been anywhere near a lorry in his life previous)…After he completed his training the hours were registered against his periodic cpc training and his driver card was issued to him grrrrrr!!

Not that the gripe was against him (fairplay as far as he is concerned)

Sorry meant to say he DID NOT have to do initial cpc

since were down memory lane i might as well ask…What were your first wagons then folks■■?

Now then Dave all this talk of when I did mine 1979…LGV trainer 1983…well now I do feel like an old ■■■■ 1971…bah humbug…come on Pete I am sure you beat me

No Rick - you win. Passed PSV 1971, HGV 1974. Started training PSV drivers 1972, HGV drivers 1974.

Soon have a clue how to do it!! :laughing: :laughing:

I had a BIG artic - - 28 ton gross!! 120 bhp Gardener. Imagine how far the chest got puffed out when I got a nearly new 180!

Spent many a night on the parcel shelf of Beford TK.

Albion half cab bus (does that count on a truck forum?)

First vehicle I trained other drivers on was a Leyland PD2 double decker - half cab - crash 1+2 box, and a real, ratchet handbrake. No power steering and 36 mph flat out.

First HGV training vehicle Bedford TK artic with Scammel coupling. Enormous trailer - must have been all of 24’ single axle.

Remember getting a Bedford TM artic with a tandem axle trailer; that was about 1985. Such luxury. Real posing vehicle! That was a 1978 (T) and was joined by another one 1983 (Y) which had a TURBO. My word.

Gold old days - never. Give me a 500+bhp any day. (What’s a “night heater”?)

I googled them trucks…wow it seems like we are spoilt today in comparison…(like with most things). i would imagine they took some driving and getting used to though.

The trucks I mentioned such as the Bedford TK and TM could be driven by today’s driver - no prob. But you’d go mad at the lack of gadgets. In fact, there weren’t any!! They used to start up, go and stop. And that was it. No radio, electric windows and, in the TK, not always a heater.

If we’re going to be really silly I carry on about delivering Scammel chassis perched on a pallet. No cab, no body. Just a bloody great coat, gloves and scarf!! Used to deliver from Watford to Luton on a regular basis. Would be highly illegal now but was accepted practice then. Furthest I went was Watford - Wigan. A very long day when your’e out in the elements.

But I repeat, these weren’t the “good old days”. Just damned hard work in dangerous conditions compared to today.

Sorry if I ramble - but it’s good to have an audience!!!

LGVTrainer:
From memory most courses were about 8 or 10 days long. Imagine having the luxury of having that long now to get someone ready.

Gees, i thought 5 days of stress were enough … :laughing: