Passed in an automatic & BRAKES

Hi All

Firstly I have been following a few threads on here and I think you’re all great!

I passed my HGV class 2 at the beginning of this month and currently in the process of applying for every job in sight. I’m based in South Wales (Newport). My problem is, I passed in an automatic. I have an assessment drive and interview this week at Brakes in Bristol. Does anyone know if they use automatic wagons and/or has anyone get any advice on driving a manual for the first time on an assessment drive? I’m already crazy nervous anyway because I haven’t driven since I passed and this will be my first driving job ever.

Also, has anyone had any experience with Brakes? From what I’ve read it can be a physically demanding job. I’m not shy about putting some graft in, however, I am a fair bit overweight and a woman. However, I am 6ft and strong. Will they take one look at me and immediately dismiss me?

Thanks in advance, sorry for another newbie post :laughing: :laughing:

Sam

Firstly this =

:smiley: :smiley:

Secondly =
There are so many different types of gearbox be they manual or auto that nobody expects a driver to know how they all work which is why it is so important to ASK HOW IT WORKS

You could try Bidvest Chepstow then you won’t have to pay the bridge toll every day.

Well done on your pass, whereas I have not worked for Brakes so not able to able to say what the job is like. I have done my fair share of driving assessments, and have like yourself I learned in a auto but found the change over very easy once out on the road.

One the most helpfully things I found was a picture gudide to different gear boxs and a quickly explaining how they each work, when I did work at P&H and Royal Mail it tended to be 6 speed dafs so no problems. LGV TRAINING TIPS [Reworked 01/02/2022] (Read only) - NEW AND WANNABE DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK I have a feeling this guide was made by ROG, so massive thank you that.

While out on the drive I would say take your time and notice the road signs, I got questioned on a height limit this morning, driving down a road I have taken coaches of the same height under but couldn’t tell you for the life of me what the sign said. (Turns out it is a 14ft limited and I was in a 13ft truck.)

Also have a read up on driving hours for EU hours and WTD had questions today on double manning crews, breaks, daily and weekly rest breaks. Also I have found for the most part there is always questions on speed limits and road signs.

On a side, my first job on the class 2 was at PH with the agency. When I started it wasn’t an driving assessment more of go out for the day with a driver learn the job and paperwork as long as your happy the next day back in there out by myself. But its was a sink or swin kind of thing.

Best of luck.

Brakes assessment will probably be in a 12 ish tonne truck with 6 speed gearbox.

Treat it like a normal gearbox on a diesel vehicle. Use 2nd to pull away and 1st if on an incline

nfk2001:
One the most helpfully things I found was a picture gudide to different gear boxs and a quickly explaining how they each work, when I did work at P&H and Royal Mail it tended to be 6 speed dafs so no problems. LGV TRAINING TIPS [Reworked 01/02/2022] (Read only) - NEW AND WANNABE DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK I have a feeling this guide was made by ROG, so massive thank you that.

I compiled the THREAD but many of the POSTS were compiled by other members so big credit to them

Congratulations and well done.

I wouldn’t worry too much, any assessor these days will know most if not all new passes have likely have done so in an auto, so I imagine you won’t be the 1st they have seen like this. It should hardly come as a shock to them.

Also, remember you had to reach a certain standard to pass in the 1st place, which you have done. It’s only an assessment, not your driving test all over again.

So just relax and enjoy it, have a safe drive while making good progress, keep your situational awareness about you and you will be fine. They will not be expecting perfection so don’t sweat it.

This is where it all begins - have fun !

Thank you all for your help, I feel reassured now. I will make sure to ask if it look unfamiliar (fingers crossed for 6 speed!) I guess I’m still in a test mind set.

nfk2001:

This guide is so helpful so thanks to both!

nfk2001:
On a side, my first job on the class 2 was at PH with the agency. When I started it wasn’t an driving assessment more of go out for the day with a driver learn the job and paperwork as long as your happy the next day back in there out by myself. But its was a sink or swin kind of thing.

I’m trying my hardest to avoid agency for this reason - A job where they’re willing to spend time training is desirable, although if push comes to shove, I’m sure this is a great way to get good fast! Thanks again!

Ares:
You could try Bidvest Chepstow then you won’t have to pay the bridge toll every day.

I’m going to drop them an email and see if I can get a number for the TM, I’ve crunched some numbers and with the bridge and 50mile round trip its gonna be expensive! So expensive that even with what would be an £11,000 pay increased, I’d only be 1 or 2 hundred better off a month. Trying to think of the experience I would gain (if I get it of course).

Thanks again all
Sam

Just asking the question. Are you sure your numbers are right?

Assuming a 5 day week, £33.50 a week in tolls and 250 miles of petrol money.

Don’t know what you drive of course, but surely approx. £100 quid a week would cover that?

Londontrucker123:
Just asking the question. Are you sure your numbers are right?

Assuming a 5 day week, £33.50 a week in tolls and 250 miles of petrol money.

Don’t know what you drive of course, but surely approx. £100 quid a week would cover that?

I would also say check your numbers.

Is relocating an option?

I’ve approximated for worst case scenarios just in case. I used an online calculator (not sure how reliable but it is accurate on my current wage) - I’ll be paying back student loan as well. After student loan extra taxes, NI etc I’m looking at 500ish more.

I drive a petrol focus which is [zb] on fuel - get about 250 out of one tank so a conservative £50 a tank
so that’s 200 gone a month
Bridge I’m probably looking at £140 for a 30 day month

I know these are guesses and in reality I know the amount I spend on petrol currently needs to be taken into consideration. However if I’m in Bristol my OH will need to bus it meaning bus passes etc.

I might be exaggerating the expenses but like I said, worst case scenario, I needed to be sure I could do it. Unfortunately re-location isn’t an option OH works in Cardiff and the cost to move renting is extortionate, not to mention a complete ball ache (I also plan to move home to Liverpool ASAP so my next move needs to be there or I’ll go insane haha). If I was planning on staying here forever it would be a lot easier

Sorry for the life story

swebb:
I’ve approximated for worst case scenarios just in case. I used an online calculator (not sure how reliable but it is accurate on my current wage) - I’ll be paying back student loan as well. After student loan extra taxes, NI etc I’m looking at 500ish more.

I drive a petrol focus which is [zb] on fuel - get about 250 out of one tank so a conservative £50 a tank
so that’s 200 gone a month
Bridge I’m probably looking at £140 for a 30 day month

I know these are guesses and in reality I know the amount I spend on petrol currently needs to be taken into consideration. However if I’m in Bristol my OH will need to bus it meaning bus passes etc.

I might be exaggerating the expenses but like I said, worst case scenario, I needed to be sure I could do it. Unfortunately re-location isn’t an option OH works in Cardiff and the cost to move renting is extortionate, not to mention a complete ball ache (I also plan to move home to Liverpool ASAP so my next move needs to be there or I’ll go insane haha). If I was planning on staying here forever it would be a lot easier

Sorry for the life story

A better run may help fuel economy but might suggest getting that looked at. I filled my 20 year old diesel golf this morning and 47 quid had got me roughly 530 miles. I don’t drive like a saint either.

The student loan could be making a lot of difference :frowning:

I passed in automatic and my first assessment was in manual. Assessor explained me how it works and gave me 10-15 minutes to drive and get used to it before he started to assess my driving.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

kcrussell25:
A better run may help fuel economy but might suggest getting that looked at. I filled my 20 year old diesel golf this morning and 47 quid had got me roughly 530 miles. I don’t drive like a saint either.

The student loan could be making a lot of difference :frowning:

Yeah I would expect a bit more considering its motorway driving. It might be the stop start driving through traffic in rush hour (and I also don’t drive like a saint). Also been reading up on supermarket fuel and how that can be less economical so a lot could be down to me TBH. I have been looking at diesels in anticipation as I’m expecting to have to travel! Thanks for that though, put it into perspective, I need to get it sorted!

Luke81:
I passed in automatic and my first assessment was in manual. Assessor explained me how it works and gave me 10-15 minutes to drive and get used to it before he started to assess my driving.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

That’s awesome, good to know some consideration will be there! Thanks

Motorbike? Better on fuel and no toll to pay.

Your student loans, etc., are fixed costs, i.e., they will be there no matter where you work.

Bridge tolls, personally I would work out what £140 quid is before tax, as this is out of your take-home pay after tax, so that’s what it would actually cost in real wages, around £180 is accurate I would think?, if you see what I mean. make sense? :slight_smile:

I used to do London to Basingstoke couple years ago, was 80 miles round trip x 5 day week, so at 400 miles, I was around £70 quid a week in petrol, 90% motorway driving, so I would think £50 quid would be about right for 250 miles.

Londontrucker123:
Your student loans, etc., are fixed costs, i.e., they will be there no matter where you work.

Bridge tolls, personally I would work out what £140 quid is before tax, as this is out of your take-home pay after tax, so that’s what it would actually cost in real wages, around £180 is accurate I would think?, if you see what I mean. make sense? :slight_smile:

I used to do London to Basingstoke couple years ago, was 80 miles round trip x 5 day week, so at 400 miles, I was around £70 quid a week in petrol, 90% motorway driving, so I would think £50 quid would be about right for 250 miles.

I’m pleased I drive a diesel on those numbers!

silverman:
Motorbike? Better on fuel and no toll to pay.

Thats true! But motorbikes are something I have never really been interested in, I would for sure be a danger to myself and others :laughing: :laughing:

Londontrucker123:

Yeah I think I know what you mean, I could compare it so a lower salary not in Bristol or be about to consider if a lower wage in Bristol would leave me worse off (which I didn’t think was possible!) Its frustrating because a large percentage of the jobs I have seen are in Bristol. I would have no problem travelling but I find paying £6.70 a day totally ridiculous. Another reason to move back to Liverpool, no bloody toll roads! :unamused: :unamused:

kcrussell25:
I’m pleased I drive a diesel on those numbers!

When i got a petrol i was under the impression there wasn’t much difference anymore, how wrong was I?!

If you earn £140 quid then obviously that’s not what you would take home on that money, it would be that minus your normal deductions which would give whatever that figure would be, say £110 quid. Basically Gross pay v Net pay.

So to take home £140 quid net, you actually would have to earn, say, £180 quid actual earnings, then your deductions come off that leaving you with the £140 in actual cash money to pay the tolls with.

Hope that makes it bit clearer :slight_smile:

Can I just add that when you drive for a living and get paid for it, the last thing you want to be doing is then doing it for nothing! :open_mouth:
Obviously as a Newbie your options are limited, and you have to take work where you can get it to build up your experience, but after a while the travelling becomes wearing. Plus as a Newbie you’re tired enough from just learning the job, and you need to conserve your energy. So yes take a job that requires a bit of travel, but only consider it as a short term option to open the door, and look to move on to something more local as soon as you possibly can…

Best of luck! :smiley: