Passed class C on third attemp

Hi ppl.
Passed my Class C this week on my third attemp. Just wanted to say to all the newbies like me is that this is probably the hardest driving test one will do in their life. Don’t beat yourself up if you don’t pass first time. Just stick at it and try to calm the nerves on test.
Big thanks to everyone posting on here. Been massive help. On to my class 1 hopefully. I’ve decided to change training companies as I want to drive a ‘Propa’ Artic (lol) rather than W&D. Anyone trained with CRH Birmingham. Might try them. Anyone know of other trainers who have autos in Birmingham?

:smiley: :smiley:

Who did you do C with?

Well done mate let us know how you get on with finding work
Have you driven trucks previously?
Got my second attempt in January

THE HGV TEST IS WITH NO DOUBT 5 times harder than a car test :angry:

Hi Rog. Thanks for all the posts/replies. Newbies have benefited from reading. I trained with A1. Training. Great guys, I recommend them.
Digit, no never even knew what a truck looks like from inside. I struggled with the training, drove slap over box. But once you get the hang of it it’s like riding a bike. Good luck.
I’m not looking for work at moment. Want to concentrate on class 1.

Digit369:

Is it though? Doing a car test you have no experience at all apart from X amount of lessons. You don’t know what to expect, not really knowing what to look out for.

Most people taking their hgv test has been driving cars for at least 5 years so they have experience on the road in a car. The principles are the same, mirror signal manoeuvre. You already know what tips and tricks there are due to driving a car. It’s just bigger and need a bit more work on the gears.

nurburg340:

Digit369:

Is it though? Doing a car test you have no experience at all apart from X amount of lessons. You don’t know what to expect, not really knowing what to look out for.

Most people taking their hgv test has been driving cars for at least 5 years so they have experience on the road in a car. The principles are the same, mirror signal manoeuvre. You already know what tips and tricks there are due to driving a car. It’s just bigger and need a bit more work on the gears.

Likewise though during them 5 years you can slip into a lot of sloppy habits. Although I think I am definitely a better driver now than I was the day I passed my car test. On a normal drive, I wouldn’t pass my car test, one hand on the wheel, doing 33 in a 30, but I can see certain situations unfolding and know how to respond.

Digit369:

Personally I found it the other way round…Failed car test twice (back in 1988) Passed both motorbike (2011) and Class C (5 weeks ago) first time. I think having 25+ years experience driving a car / van made both the A & C much easier. Road craft already there, just getting used to something different. Wasn’t even that nervous on either, where I was in the car test.

Dave.

I failed my car theory and test both first attempt, passed second. 5 years on and I passed all 4 modules for my HGV first time.

Yes but things you mention like one hand steering isn’t exactly something you hear of people failing for, mainly because they are on a test and can remember to keep both hands on the wheel. Same with 33 in a 30. If you do that then 9/10 it’s a genuine mistake and you are just unlucky.

Personally for me it was the hardest driving test I’ve ever done. I guess it was the pressure of the sutuation and money involved which got to me.
I would say this that taking class c course has improved my general driving a lot.

We offer auto full size artic at Mansfield if you’re prepared to travel or go residential.

Ask for a Christmas voucher (this can be done up to New Year’s Eve) and the whole thing will cost you £950.

Merry Chrismas, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Well done buddy, I agree with you about the test being hard, some find it easy, some find it hard, and I found it hard, especially passing the cat C, weirdly enough, I found the CE test easier overall. The financial cost of it all does add to the stress. The fact that if you fail, you have to wait at least 3 weeks and hand over a couple of hundred quid doesn’t help.

I passed too on 13/11/14 what a relief,I could av kissed the bloke.fantastic feeling and yes the hardest test ever, I thought id never do it coz its so easy to mess up. Well done mate and hope to see you trucking soon. I’ve got CPC 4 soon■■? Gulp!!!

Not had to do CPC mod 4, old git, but from what I can gather it’s an extended show and tell!

You should be fine on it ! Don’t underestimate yourself

Digit369:

Car test is much harder. Your a complete newbie on the road and naturally nervous. With HGV you are just basically upgrading your license. I took two attempts to pass my car test but aced the class 2 with 3 minors. Failed class 1 on first try though but that was my own silly fault due to nerves. Aced the 2nd try.
But that’s my personal experience. Others probably find it the opposite