Passed cat C

Hi, passed my class two last week and have a few questions.

I work as a HGV mechanic full time for an own account haulier and they sent me out today to do some driving.
Basically I drove from our yard down the road 10 miles came back and reloaded X3, which took me best part of 5 hours by the time I had waited to be loaded/ tipped. My question is what do i do with the tacho whilst I’m waiting around? Today I just put it on break as I didn’t have to do any of the loading/ unloading. I made sure that two of the periods were 15 and 30 mins. Is this correct?

And now i have done a day on the tacho what do i do now as it could be another 2 or 3 weeks until I drive again or it could be tomorrow.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

If you’re waiting around to be loaded or tipped then it’s “period of availability”. I think this still stands while BEING loaded or tipped providing it’s not you that’s doing the tipping. For example, if you pull a tanker trailer then you need to set it to other work while you’re doing your loading and tipping as you need to operate the trailer.

However, if anything is wrong in the above someone will be along to correct me soon. :slight_smile:

Congratulations on your Pass.

A lot depends on what you are paid for. If you are paid from the tacho data and not paid for breaks then putting it on break would be non beneficial. POA would be a better option.

If you are participating in any of the (un)loading then you should be on other work.

The tacho chart should be kept within reach every time you drive a vehicle that is tacho enabled for a period of 28 days. After that you hand them it to your employer. Always make sure you have 28 days worth of charts or digicard records plus the current week within reach when you are driving a lorry over 3.5t.

Hope this helps

Thanks guys