Passed C+E in Peter Smythe's MAN TGX Artic

Hi all,

Today I passed my C+E test, first time! After such a great experience doing my Cat C on Peter Smythe’s residential course in 2013, I opted for the same thing for my Cat C+E and what a week it was! I couldn’t resist choosing the ‘Big Beauty’ for my training - the new MAN TGX automatic artic. It was a real pleasure to drive and it feels great to have learnt in the type and size of truck that I hope to drive in the real world. Nothing to fear now!

Highlights from the week include the wonderfully comfortable king size bed at the nearby Travelodge, the delicious sirloin steak at Frankie & Benny’s, a round of golf at the splendid Ramsdale Park Golf Centre and ‘Straight Outta Compton’ at Mansfield Odeon.

The 4-day course was actually quite different to last time. New premises, different trainer, different truck, sunshine and rain instead of snow and rain, also morning sessions instead of the afternoon shifts. I would have chosen Chris to train me again if the choice had been mine but, in the event, Dave was just as good. Impressively calm and always up for a laugh, he built my confidence with praise and encouragement. To Dave’s credit, he clearly takes the time to evaluate each trainee as an individual and tailors the training to best fit their skills and their personality. I know that sounds like buIIshIt but I just mean that, at the start of each session, he gave the impression that he had been giving consideration to your previous drive and conversations in the meantime.

It has been said on here many times already but the new premises really are superb. Two reversing areas mean you get all the practise you need. The roads through the industrial estate are fairly easy to negotiate so you can be sure of a nice, sedate start to any test. All staff are friendly and helpful.

Really happy to have passed Cat C with a manual gearbox and then used the auto artic for the C+E. Now I have experience of both transmissions and it meant my whole time in the Big Beauty could be focused on positioning, speed, awareness, learning the roads etc and not thinking about gears.

Day 1 was good. I was very pleased to find that I felt at home in the extra large cab. Great that at 6’3" I could actually stand up straight in the cab, although I didn’t try this whilst driving. Dave said my spacial awareness and road positioning was excellent from the outset which was lovely to hear. I had to slam the brakes on once when Dave shouted STOP before I took out a set of traffic lights. Corrected with a bit of steering adjustment and onwards we travelled, lesson learnt - I thought. Ended the session with a few reverses. I had never reversed any type of trailer so this was all new to me, except for mobile phone apps, computer games and imagination. No disasters, in fact it went quite well.

Day 2 was enjoyable but I was disappointed to have another moment of instructor intervention. Similar circumstances to the previous instance except on the other side this time. Towards the end of the lesson I think the penny properly dropped regarding using all the road when required and watching the trailer through, not just a cursory glance in the mirrors to check you’re through but actually watching the position and reacting to it if necessary. Reversing was still going well. There is nothing difficult in the uncouple/couple procedure except for the fact that there are so many elements, and a specific order, to remember. I was finding my head was a bit of a jumble when repeatedly practicing the couple/uncouple. I would forget where we were in the process and therefore struggle to remember what to do next. I solved this in the evening by simply running through it in my head for a while.

Day 3 was great. I was going through some tricky junctions without any guidance from Dave. My reverses were spot on and the uncouple/couple was now seeming simple and logical. I would occasionally require a quick prompt to raise the tractor unit’s suspension before coupling up…I could not afford to forget this in the test. In my mind I broke the process up into three parts, 1) Line up, get close, inspect trailer, 2) Slide fifth wheel under trailer then stop to raise suspension, 3) Couple up and do everything else. Attributing a number to the stage I thought I could potentially overlook was my tactic here and it worked.

Day 4 gave me just 2 hours before the test and we spent the whole time reversing and coupling/uncoupling, mainly because my drive was very good yesterday and we didn’t feel the need to have a rushed drive about and risk making a silly, confidence-smashing mistake. I worried slightly that I may have peaked too early with a really confident Day 3, and this seemed to be the case this morning when my reverses, for the first time, suddenly required shunts. I was also getting very close to the B cone and the cones along the bay, even the barrier was under attack and escaped contact by about 3mm. Basically, just when I should have had it dialled and consistent, I was finding that each reverse gave me a slightly different problem that I was only just coping with. Dave got it sorted, reminded me to hold it straight for a little longer past the B cone. When heading for the bay, I found the cone/post a little tricky to read in the distance. Sometimes it looked in the mirror like I was going along nicely and then I’d find that actually I was too close to the nearside post. I found that watching the trailer wheels and heading for tyre marks in the bay helped.

I was pleased to hear I was likely to get old Cliff for my test again as we had a good chat during the Cat C test. I was hoping a few things I had remembered about his wife would gain favour. I didn’t get Cliff but not to worry. The safety questions were easy - tell me how you’d check mudguards, show me how you’d check reflectors. Next the reverse and I pulled off my best of the day, straight in no problems and stopped just right. This must have been great for my confidence but still I felt nervous. I expected the examiner to ask me to pull forward before dropping the trailer, but he was happy with it where it was. This meant I couldn’t walk behind the trailer so my usual pattern was disturbed, but not a problem.

The drive was pretty good but I was worried that I may have provided two reasons for him to fail me. We turned left out of the estate and then right at the small, tight Co-Op roundabout where my trailer wheels ran over the island slightly. There were no obstructions on approach so I could/should have got round cleanly. He mustn’t have minded. Secondly, much later on in the test, I was waiting to join a large roundabout and I was definitely far too hesitant. I wasted a couple of perfect opportunities. Not only that, I also revved up as if to set off a couple of times then changed my mind. I started to feel mild panic. I felt like I was on the verge of a fail here so I knew I couldn’t miss my next chance. Finally I went. I gave it plenty of power because a car was now coming (did the car have to slow for me? Probably but both the examiner and I decided getting on the roundabout was more important at that point so we looked the other way!)

Driving back to base I was feeling that generally it had been a good drive and I would likely pass. Then I caught a glimpse of his sheet and saw some pen marks, some double marks even, and I prepared myself for either eventuality. His poker face gave nothing away right until the moment he said I had passed. Eight minors is not ideal but I’ll take it!

I had a fantastic time with PSTT and can not recommend the place highly enough. Thoroughly professional and puts you in just the right frame of mind for driving.

The only thing I didn’t master, that I was hoping to sort before the week was up, was getting into the Gents toilet without setting off the hand dryers. Not even Dave can help with that one.

Thanks again Peter - It was good to see you. Keep us posted with any special rates on CPC courses!

Regards,

Jonny
DAF_MAN

Congratulations and well done :smiley:

Well done fella :smiley: passed my test in petes “big beauty” I enjoyed ever minute driving it. Strange how the more I drove it the smaller it seemed.

Good luck for the future :smiley:

Dan

Well done sir!
Apparently we are now epic and can lord it around other, ‘lesser’ drivers :sunglasses:
Would have loved to have driven that beast for my training…

Jon

Hi johno

The pleasure was all mine ! , thanks for your kind comments.

( You also taught me a little about golf )

Dave

well done fella

Cheers guys! The fireworks mean a lot, Rog.

Thanks again Dave. Much appreciated. My test route included the left turn at Burger King, you know? Managed it fine.

Keep up the good work!

I passed in a manual Daf CF. only took me 3 years to get my own XXL.

DAF_MAN:
Cheers guys! The fireworks mean a lot, Rog.

Thanks again Dave. Much appreciated. My test route included the left turn at Burger King, you know? Managed it fine.

Keep up the good work!

If that is who I think it is that took you for you’re test then he makes everyone do that turn. I had that but I messed up and rode over the island because I wasn’t concentrating on where my front off side tyre was!

dkdavid1102:
Hi johno

Dave

What did I teach you David? :wink:

Well done DAF Man! :smiley:
And as you can guess, I also had David as my instructor in Class C, & he was perfect! :smiley:
Highly professional, calm, and said the right things, at the right time. Couldn’t be better, hence I passed first time!!!
Plus I’m not sure he would have wanted me a second time around! :laughing:
But he’s probably going to get me for my class 1 (in the same truck you passed in), as I’m going to ask for the poor bugger! :grimacing:

I also loved the size of that truck (I’m even taller than you mate), as David let me have a poke around in it. in fact he asked if I wanted to have a look! :open_mouth: Hence you couldn’t find a better instructor who is thinking about the student, and considering the student’s thoughts. Spot on!!! - God I’m a creep, but I like to praise the good when It’s deserved, as I whine like a ■■■■■ with skimmed knee most of the time! :laughing:

In fact the whole PSTT operation is spot on, and Pete oversaw every candidates training from what I experienced. And if something needed changing, it got sorted by Pete without hesitation to help the candidate. Plus it improves Pete’s pass percentage, as he’s no muppet! :wink: He basically is the test centre for that area, who’s pass rate is up with the best! :grimacing:

Hence I belive this is why I got changed from a manual to an auto after my first day! :open_mouth:
I didn’t ask for this, as I knew I would get to grips with the manual the second day, but maybe because I’m a gobby poster on here, Pete thought it was for the best… (Plus i did ask for a mix when I met Pete the first day before training…)
I wasn’t complaining in my post about the manual, just documenting my experience to help others… But Pete knew from my post that i was pre-programmed to change up and down gears using engine braking in car, and this was going to continue to cause me problems in a 4 over 4 manual truck.
I’ve been driving & doing it for 25+ years, so struggled to reprogram my brain to go the opposite way to change up or down (along with changing the range). So he switched things around that night, and the second day i was asked if I would like to drive an Auto? (He resisted saying you’re crap in a manual Evil! :laughing:)
Also I’m old enough to have no ego, as at work on Monday I’m in a 7.5t for the day! :laughing: I couldn’t give a crap, I’m a C1 boy for the day, a cushy number in my eyes! :grimacing:

So see you soon David, and keep them shades on mate, you might need em! :grimacing:

Do I need another beer? Probably not… But it is Friday night! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

dkdavid1102:
Hi johno

Dave

What did I teach you David? :wink:

Well done DAF Man! :smiley:
And as you can guess, I also had David as my instructor in Class C, & he was perfect! :smiley:
Highly professional, calm, and said the right things, at the right time. Couldn’t be better, hence I passed first time!!!
Plus I’m not sure he would have wanted me a second time around! :laughing:
But he’s probably going to get me for my class 1 (in the same truck you passed in), as I’m going to ask for the poor bugger! :grimacing:

I also loved the size of that truck (I’m even taller than you mate), as David let me have a poke around in it. in fact he asked if I wanted to have a look! :open_mouth: Hence you couldn’t find a better instructor who is thinking about the student, and considering the student’s thoughts. Spot on!!! - God I’m a creep, but I like to praise the good when It’s deserved, as I whine like a ■■■■■ with skimmed knee most of the time! :laughing:

In fact the whole PSTT operation is spot on, and Pete oversaw every candidates training from what I experienced. And if something needed changing, it got sorted by Pete without hesitation to help the candidate. Plus it improves Pete’s pass percentage, as he’s no muppet! :wink: He basically is the test centre for that area, who’s pass rate is up with the best! :grimacing:

Hence I belive this is why I got changed from a manual to an auto after my first day! :open_mouth:
I didn’t ask for this, as I knew I would get to grips with the manual the second day, but maybe because I’m a gobby poster on here, Pete thought it was for the best… (Plus i did ask for a mix when I met Pete the first day before training…)
I wasn’t complaining in my post about the manual, just documenting my experience to help others… But Pete knew from my post that i was pre-programmed to change up and down gears using engine braking in car, and this was going to continue to cause me problems in a 4 over 4 manual truck.
I’ve been driving & doing it for 25+ years, so struggled to reprogram my brain to go the opposite way to change up or down (along with changing the range). So he switched things around that night, and the second day i was asked if I would like to drive an Auto? (He resisted saying you’re crap in a manual Evil! :laughing:)
Also I’m old enough to have no ego, as at work on Monday I’m in a 7.5t for the day! :laughing: I couldn’t give a crap, I’m a C1 boy for the day, a cushy number in my eyes! :grimacing:

So see you soon David, and keep them shades on mate, you might need em! :grimacing:

Do I need another beer? Probably not… But it is Friday night! :smiley:

It was daf man who taught me a little about golf on our adventure, but i do look forward to helping you as i do with all my students ( as well as all of us at pstt ) evil, shades at the ready lol

Congratulations on your pass! :smiley:

PMSL at the gents hand drying joke - I moved the blowing nozzle out of the way but only succeeded in blowing all the toilet paper off the roll, I did roll it back up again but it didn’t quite go back on the same as it came off. :blush:

I’ve had problems with the dryer blowing the squirty soap into the wash basin! But if that’s the only problem, I’m a happy man!!!

Thanks, DAF_MAN, (and others) for the comments. Dave is getting quite a following! And that TGX was one of my better choices, it seems.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Well done DAF MAN.

This gets me right in the mood for my C+E training at PSTT starting Monday. I saw the TGX when I was doing my cat C. Looked a lovely bit of kit.

Cheers Pete - Yeah I think the TGX was a great choice. I put a photo of the beast up on Facebook after I passed and it certainly was popular!

Good luck with your training, Mark. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

Peter Smythe:
… … … Dave is getting quite a following!

I did say that you should give him a pay rise! :wink:

Well done DAF MAN, excellent result.

This truck is getting really well known with folks phoning from all over the place wanting to train specifically on it. Maybe we’ll have to get it a sister!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I miss it! Really wanna get driving but there’s another 21hrs of CPC in the way.