Part timer from now on (if that)

After rejoining the trucking game after 6 years I have decided to get out again :unamused:

I was really excited to drive again after warehouse work with a bit of van driving when it was busy. Trouble is, I seem to get teated far worse driving HGVā€™s than I did in the vans (by people in the industry as well as Joe Public) and the money is no better for all the extra grief.

Not to sound too dramatic but I had a life changing experience last month (Non driving) and have decided to join a completely different sector to join following a major life rethink. I will be starting at the very bottom and it will be hard, but at 29, I realise I will have to work at least another 35 years so I may as well be happy doing it.

Soā€¦it I will only be behind the wheel for the odd shift from now on, but I will still be lurking here and asking advice from the Proper Truckers lol. Much repect to you guys who keep our shops and factories going.

Good luck to you in whatever it is that you choose to do. Transport isnā€™t for everyone, but I think the diesel gets into your blood! :wink:

Good luck :wink:

Youā€™ll be Back!! :laughing:

Dave Shimeld:
ā€¦ but I think the diesel gets into your blood! :wink:

It does! Iā€™ve done a desk job for most of my working life (all 16 years of it!!) and have only really driven for pleasure. I 've now taken the plunge and start a full time driving job next week.

Thanks for the good luck posts.
I wish diesel was in my blood, I would really like to enjoy the job more (I spent enough getting my licences lol) The idea of sitting in a comfy warm cab drinking tea, listening to the radio and getting paid for it sounds good to me, but the lack of respect and the LONG hours take the shine off pretty quick.

Can any ā€œTransport Historianā€ point to the time when truckers working hours became so drasticaly more than any other industry? Why is it so impossible for Truckers to have the same protected 48 hour limit (if they want it)

Patches:
Can any ā€œTransport Historianā€ point to the time when truckers working hours became so drasticaly more than any other industry?

Just after the wheel was invented! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

harry:
Youā€™ll be Back!! :laughing:

Youā€™re probably right Harry, but iā€™m just trying to ascertain exactly what the attraction is. So far iā€™ve narrowed it down to [1] Staring through the windscreen for x amount of hours a day on the motorway [2] sleeping your life away in your seat or on a bunk[3] or the ā€˜banterā€™ with the lads, you know the ones who give you a pallet by pallet account of their week!! Tough call i know, iā€™m still trying to make my mind up !! :smiley: