part time driving

im pretty sure i know the answer but any help is gratefully received.

ive got a few days holiday to use up between now and sept 14 when my current job ends. because of the workload we have agreed that i will be off every other Wednesday from now on. i rang best connection and they are keen to offer me class 2 multidrop to fill up my days off, and i am keen to do it to get my hand back in and for the pennies because i would be getting paid twice for the days i drove.

my first question is can i do it? i work 12hrs every day, and although it would be classed as other work, i never get the 45 or even 24hr weekly rest, i only get 12 at best.

question 2. i read that i need to carry evidence of the other work i do. would timesheets and a letter from my current employer suffice?

If you drive in scope of EU Tacho regs - at all - you will be subject to the full EU Rules regarding weekly rest.

If you drive every week you’ll need a full 45 at least every other week and at least 24 on the weeks between plus compensation.

If you only drive every other week then you can just have a minimum of 24 every other week. If you are only getting 12 hours then you’ve got a problem.

You must carry records of any work you did on days prior to driving in that week. Those records need to officially be on an analogue Tacho, digital print paper or manually entered into a digital Tacho. However most DVSA officers would accept a time sheet etc.

thanks for the reply shep. i figured the weekly rest was going to be a problem.

could I work every other week? that way I would be getting one period of 36hrs off every fortnight

jbaz73:
could I work every other week? that way I would be getting one period of 36hrs off every fortnight

AH … now this is up to you …
Records are only required for the fixed week in which you drive under EU regs - no records are required for non driving weeks and those weeks are assumed to be where you took a full regular weekly rest BUT if the authorities get suspicious and check it could be a hefty fine … up to you

thanks, it doesn’t seem worth bending the rules for what amounts to pocket money, I figure I would only do 3, maybe 4 shifts. I think I will wait until I am free to do full time.