Part time drivers

what is the consensus on recording days not worked by part time and occasional drivers, I work part time afternoons , but will take trucks for the mot, voluntary brake test or load/ unloading, I currently use a diary with my hours in as well as the rha road transport directive drivers daily record book indicating on both the days I drive and the days of no driving duties . there are some that say this is not sufficient to cover the 28 days record. I wondered what other people did.

oh by the way I phoned the dvsa ,spoke to a lady that said I needed an hours expert and she tried to transfer me and I waited for 15 min no one answered, no recorded message saying we value your call just constant ringing with the reminder on the screen that premium rates apply for phone calls.

hotel magnum:
oh by the way I phoned the dvsa ,spoke to a lady that said I needed an hours expert and she tried to transfer me and I waited for 15 min no one answered, no recorded message saying we value your call just constant ringing with the reminder on the screen that premium rates apply for phone calls.

Perhaps she meant that you needed to hang on like an expert for an hour (at rip off premium rates) lol.

Don’t ya just love Government Departments. [emoji379]

hotel magnum:
what is the consensus on recording days not worked by part time and occasional drivers,

As far as i’m aware there is only a requirement to record your working time. There is no requirement to record non working time.
From what you’ve said, a diary and a more comprehensive drivers record book is more than helpfull to anyone enquiring about your working hours. Albeit its not a requirement.

I’m just a little confused when you say…

there are some that say this is not sufficient to cover the 28 days record

What do you mean by that ?

hotel magnum:
what is the consensus on recording days not worked by part time and occasional drivers, I work part time afternoons , but will take trucks for the mot, voluntary brake test or load/ unloading, I currently use a diary with my hours in as well as the rha road transport directive drivers daily record book indicating on both the days I drive and the days of no driving duties . there are some that say this is not sufficient to cover the 28 days record. I wondered what other people did.

You don’t have to keep a record of none working days.

As far as the rest is concerned I’m sorry but I’m not sure what you mean, are you using a tachograph when driving HGVs ?

hi thanks for the replies, I do use tachos both digi and analogue, and although I work mon to Friday afternoons in the office I will some times drive a truck during my working hours but not every day, some times not all week, so I wont have 28 days work recorded on any form of tachograph equipment, so I fill in the diary and record book every day to show my hours and reg of any vehicle driven, as well as the tacho record for that day and vehicle, but as usual a friend of a friend got stopped and he was told they were not sufficient, so I was just wondering what other people do especially agency drivers who would have days with no work whether through no work offered or by choice not to work,

Use analogue cards to record other work such as your office work - one for each day worked
If you use an analogue card in a lorry that day then use that same one to record the other work
Use back of card to do those manual records
After 28 days any cards with no driving on them can be binned

thanks for that seems an awful waste of cards though, still I wont be paying for them.

hotel magnum:
thanks for that seems an awful waste of cards though, still I wont be paying for them.

The fixed penalty if you haven’t got the correct records at the roadside is £300. You can get an awful lot of analogue charts for that :wink:

Unfortunately the legislation is quite clear - records for ‘other work’ need to be on an analogue chart, digital printout or entered onto a digital card. You can use a legally required log book but from what you have said you don’t legally use a log book.

In most cases most DVSA officers are OK with a decent legible time sheet or diary for your other work days.