Part 4 with C1 lorry?

To pass the Part 4, can I just hire a C1 lorry and take that to a test centre for the 30 minute walk round test? I will be taking the Part 3 in a C category lorry soon.

I passed my car test before 1997, so have grandad rights.

Yes, you can. But ensure you are properly prepared otherwise it’s an expensive exercise.

No need for additional mirrors for Mod 4 and a C1 doesn’t carry a load which makes this relatively simple. It needs to be a box or curtainside. Min MAM 4 tonnes which is why Iveco Daily 5 tonne vans are common for this.

I would consider going the easier route and get credits from Mod 3 and top up with a couple of useful modules eg hours, first aid. If you’re going for CE you will have very little to top up, if any. Your chosen trainer has to be approved to do this and he has to have the course approved for cpc. I would ask the question.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

carlston49:
To pass the Part 4, can I just hire a C1 lorry and take that to a test centre for the 30 minute walk round test? I will be taking the Part 3 in a C category lorry soon.

I passed my car test before 1997, so have grandad rights.

Why are you doing mod 4 ?

With a pre 1997 licence you can do the 35 hours and ignore the mod 2 and 4 tests

35 hours of CPC training costs £400 at a trainer near me in London. However, it might be cheaper to go the mod 2 and mod 4 route. Mod 2 costs £23 and mod 4 costs £55 plus lorry hire. So this could be a lower cost option.

As I will be taking part 3 (the practical test) for C, CE, and D I think I will take Peter’s advice and find a trainer that can give me about 14 hours towards my CPC hours with each part 3 course.

Thanks for the replies guys. This is a great site for newbies like me!

As a pre '97 er I had both options available but chose mod 2&4 as it was cheaper and quicker than 35 hrs!! Downside is a poss fail tho, luckily I scraped mod 4 :wink:

Pete, a question, I have four and half years left to do a further 35 hours now I have 2&4. If I did C+E during this time, would that count towards the continuous cpc?

spacemanZ10:
Pete, a question, I have four and half years left to do a further 35 hours now I have 2&4. If I did C+E during this time, would that count towards the continuous cpc?

If the training provider has it dcpc approved then yes

Thanks Rog.

spacemanZ10:

It can but, … you must ask the C+E provider whether their C+E course is registered with JAUPT in order for it to count.

So the short answer is yes, it can, but it’s NOT happen automatically because not all C+E providers have registered their C+E course for inclusion in periodic DCPC.

I strongly recommend that you check before making a booking. :smiley:

Sorry I didn’t reply when the question was specifically addressed to me. I’m currently on holiday in the Highlands and the internet availability is, shall we say, variable!

But other folks have given you the answer, so thanks to them for covering my back!

Pete :laughing: :laughing: