Parking up Western France

Hi guys

Re my Portugal Spain post, I’m now tipping Porto Friday afternoon and will hope to get out into Spain.

Opted to drive back so hoping to get out through border up past Bordeaux or if not before.

I know probably limited places to park for weekend around this region so might have to be services etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a big services? Restaurant? Shower? That would do me. If there are any routiers off the nationals around here I’m taking it they’ll be shut on a Sunday like most.?

Cheers guys

Most Rouitiers shut on Sundays.If you are heading from Bordeaux to Irun,which is nick named the forest road,there are services open on Sunday if you are parked up for the truck ban in France.
Some do hot meals all night and have showers.
Parking is free.
If come off the Bordeaux ring road at Begles.
There is an As24 fuel station and parking.
Last time there,there was a free shower by the garage.
Nearby there is a big shopping mall with MackyD’s and places to eat inside.
Barbeziuz truckstop is open all weekend.
The parking is barriers,and discounts if buying fuel or a meal iff the parking charges.Many packages on offer.Spend so much in the shop.Discount off the parking.
Vivone may be open.They used to get the local farmers in there on Sunday for family meals.

If coming off route to park in a town or city,the supermarkets have restaurants open all week.
The meals are cheap and high quality with starters,mains and cheese or puddings.Wine and beer is on offer.
Open sundays.
The last services in Spain before the border at Irun.
That is open 24/7.Access from both directions off the toll motorway.
Scenic view of the bay at San Sebastion.
If stuck there,you can walk down to the national road and get a bus to San Sebastion.
All the services from the Portuguese border to the French border are open 24/7.
Plenty of choice around Salamanca/Valladolid/Burgos and Vitoria.

toby1234abc:
Barbeziuz truckstop is open all weekend.

what is it with brits and foreign names longer than one cyllable? it’s BARBEZIEUX, not that difficult. the food is bearable and the wine is undrinkable. and you don’t get free parking when you eat there during the weekend, it’s only during weekdays. mind you if heading off really early, 2-3am, you might want to check if the gates are actually closed, since when in operation, they have to have a guard present there in case of problems and really often the guy comes in at around four, so up until then it’s a free for all :wink:

coming in from spain I would go to either Castets, open on sunday as well or one of the many routiers on the n10 (the new one in bedenac, barbezieux, vivonne, plenty of them just to name a few). deffo don’t go to Begles, the place is a total dump, looks like a third world skip and you better have your curtains closed all the time thanks to the gentlemen whose mothers had wished for a girl.

toby1234abc:
Scenic view of the bay at San Sebastion.

only through a mountain though, so you better have some x-ray vision goggles :laughing:

toby1234abc:
If stuck there,you can walk down to the national road and get a bus to San Sebastion.

along a pushbike and swimming trunks, a true european lorry driver must also have a jet pack in his kit, as it takes one to get over that six foot high fence that’s bordering the services near san sebastiAn.

Where does it say free parking at Barbezieuz in my post.?
They have incentives and promotions off the parking charge.You try typing on a poxy phone with fat fingers then?

I was just clearing things up - the parking at barbeZIEUX is free, if you have a meal there, but only during the business week. no “incentives or promotions” during the weekend. I don’t have a smartphone fortunately, so no typing on it either :smiley:

There is 4 open on n10 between bordeaux and poiters on weekends

In order from bordeaux

New one on right before barbezisux
Barbezieux
Maison blanches. On right (as24&ids pumps)
Then vivonne on left before poiters

If do get stuck theres loads of hotels restaurants between vilaformosa and vitoria open all weekend
Was down there couple weeks back drove the sunday and loads of them open

As said theres castets not sure if open sunday but the new avia services on forest road the showers are spacious and clean

As Milodon said previously the AS24 station in Begles is a definite no-no for parking up unless you’re absolutely out of options, only used by guys tipping nearby on the estate nowadays, especially smelly seafood trailers. Toby obviously hasn’t been past there in recent times.

Les 3 Cardinaux routiers resto in Bordeaux, near the lake (Bordeaux Lac), has a pretty good reputation though couldn’t tell you from firsthand experience as I’ve never had occasion to stop there. There was a decent one in Carbon Blanc just along from K+N that some of you guys may have used, but it seems to have shut up shop and the white van and caravan brigade have taken over the parking area.

Overall it still seems you’ve plenty of choice from Spain through to Poitiers - have a good trip.

~ Craig

Begles was thrown in due to the shopping mall five minutes walk away from the As24.
Plenty of choices inside and Mcdonalds if caught short…
The garage owner was a nutter,and deaf.
He had a truck wash and mechanics for repairs.
His daughter owned horses.
As a gift,i gave her a huge bag of carrots for her horses.
The look on her face was priceless.She thought i was a nutter.
Her Dad resembled a Mafia gang leader.Gun under his jacket i would guess.

I stop in Castets quite a bit in the truck stop. The showers aren’t great but there’s a decent Café, a little bar by the entrance and a MaccyD’s over the road. No parking charge either.

It is a shame most places shut at weekends.
There are some real gems to be found by coming off the forest road.Bordeaux to Irun.
Some are in the forest.Nice and quiet.Friendly staff.
Have a craic with fellow diners.
Never had anything stolen from the cab or trailer in France.

toby1234abc:
Begles was thrown in due to the shopping mall five minutes walk away from the As24.
Plenty of choices inside and Mcdonalds if caught short…

You’re right Toby, AS24 at Begles is a useful place to know if you’re short on driving time or need to have a break to stock up, I simply wouldn’t recommend it as there’s not much in the way of on-site facilities and with the ever-expanding commercial activity all around it’s not really ideal for weekending . . . unless the OP likes places that resemble the archetypal old-school TIR park with puddles, potholes and rubbish all around you!

~ Craig

toby1234abc:

So do we :open_mouth: :laughing:

The Routier at Barbezieux and Castets shut lunch time on Sundays till Monday morning , The toilets are open at Barbezieux but not the shop , not sure about Castets toilets , last time I parked at Barbezieux we had a walk up to the town but it was very quite , there was a PMU bar but that shut quite early

Simon:

toby1234abc:

So do we :open_mouth: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: