Parking tractor unit overnight

Someone I rent a lock-up to wants to park his lorry on my yard every night, I rent space to a couple of lads with old cars for a few quid/month.

I own an old farm with more than enough space in the yard I have and I told him, no probs £15/week.

Is this allowed or do I need a licence or permit to allow him to park it?

A friend has told me that this means I need an Operators Licence?

JeffersS13:
Someone I rent a lock-up to wants to park his lorry on my yard every night, I rent space to a couple of lads with old cars for a few quid/month.

I own an old farm with more than enough space in the yard I have and I told him, no probs £15/week.

No you do not need an O licence.
The operator is potentially at fault (if the authorities really care, :unamused: ) if his designated operating centre is his yard, but there is no comeback on you as far as I know.
I was out based for about 12 years parking my truck at home in a mates farm, but the truck was foreign registered and apparentlly that was legal and acceptable.
I also did the same driving for an Essex firm 300+ miles away from my home, and never had any comeback there either.
The only problem that could arise is if f some nosey busybody 2hat complains :smiling_imp: , but even then the onus will be on the operator of the truck.

A mate of mine does exactly this and has done so for years. Perfectly acceptable providing that you are not causing an obrusction. We also park a few of our trucks this way too where the lads live nearby.

The only thing I would check is insurance. Our place (with 15 own trucks) rents out space to a couple of owner driver trucks and although not an issue, they has to be included on our own insurance for some reason.

If for example one of the trucks went up in flames and damaged your buildings your insurance might get a bit iffy if they didn’t know.

JeffersS13:

Fine to do it unofficially but having worked for a company that did same (parked 2 units and trailers on a farm) but make sure he drives carefully and considerately through the local villages, hamlets and also to other road users. All it takes is one altercation or “recklessly speeding” through a village to start a witch hunt and make both yours and his lives hell. It’s a good idea to make yourself (himself) known to the other locals if possible as they tend to be more tolerant of these kind of things if it’s someone they “know”.

Might be issues with planning permission? Councils can be right little ■■■■■ if they sniff the opportunity to screw you over for the chance to squeeze money from you.

As mentioned, If he applies to use your premises as an operating centre you may run into trouble with the local authority depending on what permissions already exist.
Back in the 80’s we had two yards either side on a main road both owned by ourselves.
Both shared the same post code and address, one yard was used to park 20 plus hgv’s. The other was used to park two delivery vehicles and to stock approx 500 ton of solid fuel.
We closed the business in 1988, the yard used to park all the vehicles was sold for housing and I applied for an O licence in my own name for one tipper and put my operating centre down as what had been the coal yard. Gateshead Council objected saying that yard only had permission for coal stocking and associated vehicles. It been owned and used by ourselves since 1948. We ended up at a planning tribunal and after a site visit the planning inspector decided in our favour. I think he also tore a bit of a strip of the council planners for the objection in the first place. Still caused a lot of hassle and unnecessary stress.

Tyneside

Thankyou all very much for your replies.