Parking tickets

I know this topic is on here somewhere, but I have one question.

After being held up in town today, I was a few minutes late and had a ticket on the car, the car park is privately run and the fine is £90.

Now I know it’s been said that the fine doesn’t have to be paid as only the Police and Council are the only ones who can enforce a ticket.

Is the “don’t have to pay” legally correct? And is there anything written anywhere to back it up please?

Thanks

Off the top of my head it’s something along the lines of peppapig.com :sunglasses: I’m sure one of the lads will be on shortly pal :laughing: £90 :smiley: bin it AND don’t respond to it either :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: merry xmas :wink:

to quote his holiness “harry Monk”
If its written on it somewhere about the POPLA appeals process, send them the following

Dear sir or madam,
Charge notice reference No: 0123456789
With reference to the above numbered Charge Notice, I hereby appeal on the following grounds:

1. My driver / I (delete as appropriate) did not agree to enter into any contract with you.
  2. The amount claimed is not a reasonable pre-estimate of any losses incurred.

Should this appeal be unsuccessful, please send the authorisation code required to lodge an appeal with POPLA

Yours Faithfully,
Joe Bloggs

Delete info below before sending
Of course, they are entitled to send me the authorisation code
but if I appeal to POPLA then the appeal will cost them £27.50 and it won’t cost me anything.
And POPLA will uphold my appeal because they are only entitled to claim for genuine losses, and not to issue £90 fines.

Yes, just write to the parking company and tell them you didn’t agree to enter a legal contract with them and that the amount claimed is not a reasonable pre-estimate of any loss incurred, they will reject the appeal but send you a POPLA reference number, like this

Go on POPLAs website, enter the reference number and re-state the two points above, this takes five minutes and costs you nothing (but costs the private parking company £27 :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: ) then next week this will come through the post.

There is no legal contract. They cannot say “If you park then you agree to pay X amount” because the only person who can agree to something is the person themselves, they can’t decide for you that you agree to it.

You say held up in town, make sure it’s not a council FPN before you bin it, they do also patrol some other car parks.

If it’s a store one or similar, just bin it or send them a letter explaining you spent longer than planned in THEIR store and a copy of the receipt.

Nar it’s a pay and display car park run by a private firm

degsy4wheels:
Nar it’s a pay and display car park run by a private firm

If you’re 100% sure it’s not a council ticket, bin it.

The rule is, even if they took you to court, they’d only be able to claim a couple of quid, NOT the £90 they’re invoicing you for, they will not take you to court.

The council however WILL take you to court and are allowed to claim the full amount + costs

Oh, the website that fatboy was trying to think of was pepipoo

Fatboy slimslow:
Off the top of my head it’s something along the lines of peppapig.com :sunglasses: I’m sure one of the lads will be on shortly pal :laughing: £90 :smiley: bin it AND don’t respond to it either :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: merry xmas :wink:

Lol.

I think you mean pepipoo.com

Don’t pay it and don’t ignore it, appeal then when it’s rejected, appeal to popla as 90 pounds is not what it cost them. They are only able to claim losses.

Just had a good look at the ticket, and it’s NPS. It says that by parking in the car park I have agreed to the terms and conditions of the contract as stated at the pay meter

degsy4wheels:
Just had a good look at the ticket, and it’s NPS. It says that by parking in the car park I have agreed to the terms and conditions of the contract as stated at the pay meter

Have a read of this thread:

forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=46975

Thanks for all replies. Will not be paying, but will be appealing. It was £1 an hour to park, so i’ll give em a quid compo, but only after the process has been gone through

Fatboy slimslow:
Off the top of my head it’s something along the lines of peppapig.com :sunglasses:

Pepipoo might help better. Peppapig is a childrens tv show… :wink:

www.pepipoo.com/‎

Saratoga:

Fatboy slimslow:
Off the top of my head it’s something along the lines of peppapig.com :sunglasses:

Pepipoo might help better. Peppapig is a childrens tv show… :wink:

pepipoo.com/‎

Should interest the Parking Polizei then. :wink: :unamused: :unamused: