parking tickets

Got a parking ticket the other day, in fact ive had a few. Most drivers at our place do, as we’re central London most of the time. I’ve been told they appeal and win most but I got deduced out of my wages for this ticket (£60) as they lost. I was at the store and had absolutely no where to stop other than double yellows with a no loading restrict sign as the loading bay was full. Didn’t want to fail the collection and this is the thanks I get! So next time im there and the loading bay is full I shall just carry on!!! Can they do this without informing me? Only noticed as was on the payslip!!

The only way they can legally take it out of your wages is if there is a clause inserted in your contract to that effect. Mention ‘unlawful deductions’ to them, it might help them see sense.

fta.co.uk/export/sites/fta/_ … card_1.pdf

My understanding is it’s perfectly legal to stop on double yellows to load/unload as long as there are no time restrictions for that road and you are not in a dangerous place.

That being said if there’s a loading bay supplied and full of vehicles loading/unloading then it could be said that you should have waited elsewhere legal until a space in the loading bay became available?

Someone told me if cars are parked in loading bays to do their weekly shopping you can legally double park (if not completely blocking traffic) even if it blocks the cars in. Don’t know if thats true.

Get your money back then find another job mate, they’re taking the ■■■■, if they want to do London deliveries then the odd parking ticket goes with the job.

Olog Hai:
The only way they can legally take it out of your wages is if there is a clause inserted in your contract to that effect. Mention ‘unlawful deductions’ to them, it might help them see sense.

Ok cheers I might get on that

Juddian:
Get your money back then find another job mate, they’re taking the ■■■■, if they want to do London deliveries then the odd parking ticket goes with the job.

Ive already started looking ha ha!

nurburg340:
http://www.fta.co.uk/export/sites/fta/_galleries/downloads/pcns/drivercard_1.pdf

My understanding is it’s perfectly legal to stop on double yellows to load/unload as long as there are no time restrictions for that road and you are not in a dangerous place.

That being said if there’s a loading bay supplied and full of vehicles loading/unloading then it could be said that you should have waited elsewhere legal until a space in the loading bay became available?

Someone told me if cars are parked in loading bays to do their weekly shopping you can legally double park (if not completely blocking traffic) even if it blocks the cars in. Don’t know if thats true.

There was a time restriction so shouldn’t of been there to be honest. There was no where else to wait and even if there was I wouldn’t be able to see the loading bay, so the time I drive back round it could of been occupied again!! So next time I get this collection and the loading bay is full they can shove there collection it up there arse, cause I aint working to give my wages to the council!

the company is not palletways by any chance,i used to work for them and they got parking tickets galore,the drivers never paid them though,if I had the slightest chance I would get a ticket and have to pay it myself I would not deliver,simple as that,if they asked why I did not deliver I would reply you pay for parking tickets yourself and its not a problem,i could be wrong but I am pretty sure it comes off their tax bill at the end of the financial year

nurburg340:
http://www.fta.co.uk/export/sites/fta/_galleries/downloads/pcns/drivercard_1.pdf

The OP did say that in addition to the double yellows there was a “No Loading” restriction…

Roymondo:

nurburg340:

The OP did say that in addition to the double yellows there was a “No Loading” restriction…

Yes sorry misread it.

truckman020:
the company is not palletways by any chance,i used to work for them and they got parking tickets galore,the drivers never paid them though,if I had the slightest chance I would get a ticket and have to pay it myself I would not deliver,simple as that,if they asked why I did not deliver I would reply you pay for parking tickets yourself and its not a problem,i could be wrong but I am pretty sure it comes off their tax bill at the end of the financial year

Na its not bud. Wont mention the company. That’s exactly what im going to do. The worse thing is if I get another ticket I am going to have no idea if they are going to win the appeal or pass the ticket onto me. So I wont be hanging around to find out. Wont collect, simple!!!

truckman020:

The general principle is that fines are not allowable expenses for tax purposes. However, if an employee incurs a parking fine in his own vehicle (while engaged on company business) and the company reimburses him, then the company can have it allowed against their tax bill. But if the vehicle is owned by the company, and the company pays, then no allowance can be claimed. If the employee voluntarily pays a parking fine incurred in his employer’s vehicle and the company reimburses him, then the company can claim an allowance (but the employee would have to pay tax on it just as if the employer had paid him a £100 bonus).

It’s detailed here:
hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/bim42515.htm

A company I used to do home deliveries for had a system in place for this sort of thing. You called them up if you were at risk of getting a ticket. You explained the situation and the area and they gave you a reference number. If a ticket came through they matched the time and location to you and they paid the fine (or fought it,im not sure which).
No company should take a parking ticket fine from a drivers wages. They get paid for the delivery so the ticket price should be either built in or classed as one of those things. And if they say “nope,your the driver its your responsibility” then you have the perfect excuse to say you ain’t going there again. Could be handy if your day is going pear shaped and you need to shave some time. Skip it and say “sorry,bay was full” :smiley:

I remember doing scaffolding work on the agency for Rampart in London. I was told they would pay all tickets and if you’re going to get ticketed, don’t argue, just ignore the wardens but do not remove the ticket until you leave or they’ll put another one on you. I got a ticket which i handed in and the bloke seemed to accept it as part and parcel of running a business in and around central London.

^^^^ I got one doing container work for a house move. Was sat in Edinburgh from 10am till 1845. Traffic warden told me to leave ticket because they are only allowed to ticket you once. Handed ticket in and my company paid it.

One of my previous jobs was for a food service company in the centre of London and the company knew when they took the London jobs tickets were more common. That being said i only got 6 tickets in 18 months.

Alot of the traffic wardens seem to leave you alone aslong as you were not blocking people, even double yellows when you are there over the 20min loading/unloading time.

That particular company paid for parking tickets in London but anywhere else in the country it was taken from the drivers wage.

At DBC on our 3x Cafe Nero runs of approx 23 shops each round central london tickets were common, probably 3 or 4 a week as after a certain time the loading restrictions kicked in and even starting at 0415 you could not get the round done until 1300 ish. They paid / fought them all, we had to fill a form in each time with loads of info on, but never had to pay ourselves. It never really bothered me either way as if we got them it was because we were where we shouldn’t have been (usually) although it did become a bit of a sport as some of the wardens were ruthless and it was funny to see them scurrying along to try and ticket you as you reloaded your cages and tried to pack up before they could.

Traffic wardens are usually tossers that have been bullied at school and are now wanting to get their own back on society. I’ve even heard of them ticketing cars at funerals even the hearse with the poor sod waiting to be turned to ash still in the back :open_mouth:
I bet 9 times out of 10 if you had a look where they parked their cars when they’re out ticketing others they would be parked illegally, it’s like the car that drives around with the camera on the roof taking pics of illegally parked cars, the one here in Barnsley has been caught in disabled bays, bus stops, loading bays and taxi bays but of course it’s ok for them to do it see :wink: :unamused:

nurburg340:

I did just that once to tip at a town centre store in Wales. One of the car drivers got stroppy and fetched a copper, who promptly booked both cars, and told me to take my time! Not often you meet a copper with a sense of humour!

My son used to do multi drop in London until he was told he was expected to pay his own parking fines, then it was time to tell the firm to stick it! No sweat, he was reassigned to another route avoiding London, simples!