Parking on private estate

edd1974:
What’s the legal situation about parking on private estates.

Basically am.parked up on kingstown estate carlisle.
But where im.parked is a small side estate sign saying this is private property.
I parked here once before about 6 months ago only because I had a collection from a unit on the estate. In the morning. Was nice and quiet. So decided park here again.
Parked up at 6ish no double yellow lines. No barriers to get in or out. Just a sign private property cctv in operation.
My point is been here since 6ish about once an hour see a security van driving round.
This time at 9 30 he stops opens his widow says no overnight parking private property.
I tell him no sign to say no parking .no lines.
He gets irate says have to move I refuse tell him I started at 4 am.
Then he says well your be kept awake all night and woke up. Then he mentioned something about I’ll be wheelclamped if I don’t move on…
Not sure if he’s just all talk

But where do I stand legally if do end up clamped.
As only sign on entry says private property.
Nothing about being clamped or tiickets issued …no yellow lines. Was few cars parked up but theve all gone now.

I aint no expert on this but as a newbie I thought id share my point. If someone parked their car on your drive or you wake up on morning and travellers are parked in your land. Without an eviction notice you can’t move them. I know the police can ask them to move but they don’t have to. I would assume this is no different. They also can’t clamp specially without signs. So my view is they can’t do anything :slight_smile:

Daani:
I aint no expert on this but as a newbie I thought id share my point. If someone parked their car on your drive or you wake up on morning and travellers are parked in your land. Without an eviction notice you can’t move them. I know the police can ask them to move but they don’t have to. I would assume this is no different. They also can’t clamp specially without signs. So my view is they can’t do anything :slight_smile:

That MIGHT be the case if you do it the proper and legal way, although you can always do what an angry English farmer done.

Search :- Dave Dawson and his digger saw off invading travellers in 3 hours.

Hope you don’t mind me asking this Edd, My mate has recently got back to work .
He is parking the tractor unit in his front garden overnight & the neighbours are complaining saying they will report him to the council etc if he does not move it…can they make him stop parking it there ?

Yes.

mas430:
Hope you don’t mind me asking this Edd, My mate has recently got back to work .
He is parking the tractor unit in his front garden overnight & the neighbours are complaining saying they will report him to the council etc if he does not move it…can they make him stop parking it there ?

Maybe if DVSA get to hear about It they will.
The terms of the O licence will obviously have the operating centre as the parking place in the locality, not your mate’s front garden
You could get away with it years ago, but not so much now.

theres quite a lot of unused ( till someone gobs off complaining) clauses in residential areas prohibiting the use and parking in private driveways ect of vehicles over 7.5 ton.

I do know. If your lucky enough to.be able to afford a new.build house .on.the many estates that are going up.
Part of the sales terms state you are not allowed to .
park a van or a caravan on your driveway or the road.
Even If your lucky enough to buy the property outright

Something to do with it lowers the tone of the area and rubbish like that.

Also if someone parks there car blocking your drive way. If your drive way is empty the police can’t do anything about it.
If your car is on the driveway blocked in they can get involved

Same as mear me get people parking on side roads near Manchester airport to save paying for parking.
As long as car is taxed insured etc.
Nothing the police can do

Cheers , I didn’t know what to say to him as its getting really heated & I didn’t want to make it worse by saying the wrong thing, apparently its a council house & he hasn’t lived there long, lots of old people live in the road a cul de sac so really heated. cheers again.

If it clearly says private property Why park there then moan if they require you to move . your tacho is your responsibility not there concern . How would you like it if someone pulled up on your property and said I’m not moving I’m on a break when you wanted to use it . If they have the sign private property that’s enough no need for yellow lines or no parking signs

chester1:
If it clearly says private property Why park there then moan if they require you to move . your tacho is your responsibility not there concern . How would you like it if someone pulled up on your property and said I’m not moving I’m on a break when you wanted to use it . If they have the sign private property that’s enough no need for yellow lines or no parking signs

Its an industrial estate, and at the end of the day if they dont have the CORRECT signage theres rag all they can do, the occupiers of units on industrial estate may want their goods delivering ‘‘by close of business today’’ you have 5 minutes driving time when you get there, so where do you park? I am parking there, anyone can put a notice up saying private property, but if it is serviced by a road where the general public can drive down, there is not much they can do.

way i see it unless theres double yellow lines . or its a gated off estate with security then you should be allowed to park where ever within reason .and as long as your not causing an obstruction

edd1974:
way i see it unless theres double yellow lines . or its a gated off estate with security then you should be allowed to park where ever within reason .and as long as your not causing an obstruction

Another twist, if it is a private road and there are double yellow lines there and lack of correct signage, the yellow lines are merely paint on the road because being a private road a council traffic warden would not be able to give you a ticket.

shullbit:

chester1:

Its an industrial estate, and at the end of the day if they dont have the CORRECT signage theres rag all they can do, the occupiers of units on industrial estate may want their goods delivering ‘‘by close of business today’’ you have 5 minutes driving time when you get there, so where do you park? I am parking there, anyone can put a notice up saying private property, but if it is serviced by a road where the general public can drive down, there is not much they can do.

They had the correct signage Private Property . That covers all

chester1:

shullbit:

chester1:

They had the correct signage Private Property . That covers all

Incorrect. Private property is land over which the owner has ‘‘exclusive right’’ and like i have already said, ANYONE can stick up a private property sign, it doesnt mean that it is private property.
I also see that Carlisle city council hold the freehold to the land where this industrial estate is situated, this maens that they will be responsible for the upkeep of the roads, which basically means THEY ARE PUBLIC!

Right just found this,
google.co.uk/maps/@54.92803 … 312!8i6656

obviously a public road…but there is a hgv restriction sign on the entrance to the estate, too blurred to read the times but it is probably an overnight waiting ban, very easy to miss, so although in my opinion it is not private road, if there is probably a TRO in place to prevent overnight parking, the COUNCIL can issue a ticket, I would have still risked it though, if you pay these fines early they are reduced to like £25, assuming you dont appeal. And if the ‘‘security’’ guard had been a CEO he would have issued you a ticket there and then.

And this on Kingstown broadway google.co.uk/maps/@54.92613 … 312!8i6656
No waiting 9pm UNTIL 7am 7.5t limit

shullbit:

I’m not waiting occifer, I’m Parked. Its different! #CheekyF**ker

shullbit:

I used to park there on the road near McDonalds behind the no station
And they have signs all along . Yet when ever I’ve parked there the roads generally full off trucks.

So really we can’t park there sleep amd.not cause any trouble.
Yet cars can park there. With there McDonalds littering everyware with there engines running radio on

Which is one of the reasons tried parking else ware.
As used get fed up of.hearing.engines running all.night and there loud base music.

edd1974:

shullbit:

I used to park there on the road near McDonalds behind the no station
And they have signs all along . Yet when ever I’ve parked there the roads generally full off trucks.

So really we can’t park there sleep amd.not cause any trouble.
Yet cars can park there. With there McDonalds littering everyware with there engines running radio on

Correct. , The same council briefly stopped all overnight lay by parking by trucks around Carlisle about 10years ago, because of all the litter, mainly Maccy D crap, left by all the artics who…go through the drive thru’ :open_mouth: :unamused: :laughing:

Try and keep up mate, have you not sussed it yet, we are about as desirable as the crew who pull caravans with transit pick ups in this country, we’re just not wanted anywhere we can be seen by the public…we lower the tone.

Classic example last Thursday night…
I’ve got a secret little place in Somerset outside a vacant little factory on the side of the road, just off the road that runs through a small town/village.
I was walking back from the pub the other night, there was an old bird in her front garden (who axtually had to crane her neck to see my motor from her front garden 100 yds away,) she was saying to her husband ‘I hope he is not parking there all night’ . :neutral_face:
My initial thought was to say ‘wtf has it to do with you and how exactly is it affecting you as you can not even see my truck unless you stand on your wall and lean forward’ :imp: … but I thought, ‘Why bother/old woman/what will it achieve/can’t be arsed’…so I said a polite good evening to her instead. :smiley:

30 minutes later I was sat in drivers seat, side curtain open, playing on my phone, Police car rocks up :open_mouth: , copper says …
'Hi mate, just checking,… just parked up for night? ’

‘I said yeh, will be away for about half 6ish mate’

'Ok, no problem, have a good night he says. :neutral_face:

The nosey old cow had obviously called them. :unamused: …she saw me come out of pub, so I was waiting for the breathylizer to come out after she’d put 2 and 2 together, but it didn’t, (and I didn’t give a ■■■■ if it had anyway tbh.)

As I said mate, we ain’t classed as working men carrying out our jobs, but as unwanted undesirables by nimbys. :bulb:
Good old UK. :unamused: