Parking in Ireland

Does anyone no of anywhere reasonably safe to park in Ireland either between Galway and Killarney, Dublin and Killarney or around the Killarney area ■■

Thanks Matty.

I overnight in that area most a night or 2 most weeks,not many proper truckstops in Ireland,i normally park in the 24hour Tesco carpark in Killarney,turn left at 1st roundabout as you approach killarney from Limerick side drive to next roundabout and go right,at next mini roundabout turn right and you will see tesco on left,spent many nights there and no hassle,only for Stobart delivering the odd time through the night,between Galway and Killarney is again Tesco stores in Newcastle West along the main road through on left coming from Limerick or in Abbeyfeale,drive down main street and on right hand side you cannot miss a large bill board advertising Tesco,turn right there and follow on through to carpark,i probably sound like a bit of a tesco spotter but they are handy and off road with plenty of space,i never get any hassle in these areas,theres a few good laybys along that route too trucks park in but i like to be off the main road a bit. Avoid Shannon area as ive stayed there and got hassle twice by travellers asking for diesel,though Galway itself is fine.
Between Dublin and Killarney along the M7 has a few more like small truck stops to pull in at,take the Nass south exit jn 6 or 7,top of slip road take a left and at roundabout take a right for Newbridge,follow that main road for about 1 and half miles you will come to a big industrial estate and truckstop (Toughers),drive down behind petrol station and theres parking for about 80-100 trucks,decent shop and restraunt here too,and security patrol the park at night,its also free,also if you take the jn 14 off M7 at top of slip road you will see Mayfield services,simular to Toughers place,and the Abbeyleix/Portloaise exit has a hotel eating areas with plenty of parking too,if you take the Moneygall exit i think its jn 24 and at bottom of slip road go left for Moneygall on old N7,follow straight through the village and about 4 miles on down the road is Toomevara,large petrol station at foot of village has about 10 truck spaces at rear and decent food,the guy who owns it likes trucks about at night and ive spent alot of nights there with no hassle,also a nice bar with good food her called the Tipperary Inn,if you follow on through the village it will take you back onto M7 at next exit again.

I hope this helps,if you need any other areas covered let me know as i used to cover and overnight all over Ireland untill recently we only really cover the west at the minute.
Johnny

As a matter of interest is there many uk companys running into ireland thought most of the work would be covered in guys on way back from the continent or by just putting trailors on the boat and have a subby look after it the other side

nedflanders:
As a matter of interest is there many uk companys running into ireland thought most of the work would be covered in guys on way back from the continent or by just putting trailors on the boat and have a subby look after it the other side

Yes there are a few not a huge amount,F.Edmondson and Alstons furniture removals are over here alot,theres a steel stockholder i cant remember name of,sky blue coloured volvo id see about alot,ive seen 2 Knights of Old wagons this week alone,you do get a few random smaller or private companies on a one off run now and again,i also seen one of Steve Prince of Essex wagons once here,no major big Uk companies running flat out or anything,as you say alot of trailers are put on boat by Irish trampers and taken by same Irish company with local lads or subbies,up north you see the odd Uk reg Stobart,they keep most of their (ALOT) Irish registered wagons in the republic mainly on Tesco work. Alot of McBurney and Surefreight who have depots in Uk and Ireland run over the channel alot. Not as many UK companies as you might think considering the huge amount of trailers shipped from 4 or 5 ports everyday and night. Up north MAXI Haulage and Argos ship alot of trailers into Belfast everyday and is covered by a small contractor,i dont know what work it is.

Thanks for info big rig i had known culina took over a company there a few yrs ago but as far as i know they dont send there own trucks over must subby it out as a back load.
Stobart has his own yard at the docks in dublin so only ships trailers apart from occasional high value or specific load.
After that didnt know of any of the rest and reason i asked was that i was reading that downtons are involved with 50 loads a day out of clonmel which seems strange and unbelievable.

Hey thanks for that Bigrig1 i might try that truckstop at Toughers, I seen a couple of lorries parked in Tesco’s car park at Abbeyfeale last week when i went passed.
I’ve been into the services at Mayfield a couple of times for a break but never parked over night, I parked at the services at Lusk a few weeks ago and had my trailer broken into nothing stolen but they ripped open a pallet to see what was inside which caused problems at the delivery!

Thanks Matty.

The Clonmel loads would more than likley be coming out of Bulmers/magners,they have a massive plant there,Mulgrew ships a huge amount out of it.Stobart also has alot of trucks based in the Tesco hubs in Donabate off the M1 in north Dublin and the chilled runs out of the old Keelings warehouse just off the M50 at the Ballymun exit,every 3rd or 4th truck from Dublin to Cork or Limerick is an Eddie.

Matty,no worries.Im normally in Abbeyfeale Tescos most Monday nights.Also along M7 is a small 24 hour filling station with truck parking and showers in Mounrath,just a few miles from motorway on old N7,quiet wee town,no hassle and a few take aways,its between the Porloaise exit and the toll booth,first i heard of anyone getting any hassle at Lusk,ive stayed there a few times myself,i never hear of too many break ins anywhere in Ireland. Just shows you,very close to Dublin there and quick get away,the truck parking spaces are bound to be covered by CCTV?
Who do you run for?i drive a large rigid new model premium for Maxwell freight.

Thanks again mate I have a blue Scania R560 with Johnson’s on the headboard i usually deliver down the east coast Dublin, Wicklow and Wexford area’s but we have just started a new job down near Killarney i will keep my eye’s peeled for you next time i’m down.

I have parked in Lusk a few times myself without trouble but as i said a few weeks ago they had been in, there was an Irish lorry parked next to me and they had been into his trailer aswell.

I was parked at the Whitehouse at Ashbourne about two years ago and had my trailer broken into one night, again they did’nt take anything but cut open the boxes to see what was inside, there was another english motor parked in there and he had quite a bit of gear stolen from his trailer and a mate of mine had a pallet of wine stolen from his trailer there about the same time, previusly I had parked there many times without any trouble and as you say it also is close to Dublin!!

nedflanders:

In days gone by most of the traffic from the UK was done by Pandoro.

I’ve just joined lads so im prob a bit late posting, anyways here goes. Re: the white house. there’s a lot of travellers living round this area! So it wouldn’t be an ideal place along the N2 from Finglas down as far as Ashbourne.
Whenever I need to park round Ireland I normally find an industrial estate with a 24 hr plant, (nearly always one) and park as close as poss to it. Other than tat there now opening service stations along the M/ways and like the continent there free (at the moment anyway) but bear in mind they don’t have security!
If traveling down the east coast I’d be looking at the coastal towns as they normally cater for trucks delivering to and from the ports, you’ll always find somewhere.
I must add I’m not saying the travellers are nicking the diesel or mooching in the back of trailers, but I do know they like their free diesel. :imp: