Parking in Doncaster?

doncasterfreepress.co.uk/ne … 273433/amp

Does make me laugh when they take about parking in truck stops. This is also the area that closed all the lay-bys on the A1 for “health and safety” reasons…apparantly.

As per normal, there is never enough parking for us, and as we all know, it isn’t just an issue in Doncaster.

I sent the following email to the author, I suggest others send some too.

Re your “Plan under development to deal with anti-social parking by lorry drivers on Doncaster streets”

Can you tell me what is intended to be done? There is no lorry parking in Doncaster and the laybys trucks used to park in on the A1 between the M18 and M62 have been closed and dug up which is why more and more lorries are being forced to park where they can. There are only a handful of HGV parking places at the services at Bawtry and at the two filling stations near the A638 junction and Ferrybridge services are full by 5pm.

Meanwhile in the Doncaster area more and more distribution centres are being built, businesses which create hundreds of jobs for the residents of the Doncaster area, which require more lorries to deliver to them which means more HGV parking is needed but instead of more HGV parking the authorities are reducing what is available in the area.

My suggestion is that if the residents don’t want lorries parking on their streets that they stop campaigning against every application there is for truck stops and instead campaign for a decent sized truck stop to be built in the area. The demand is there and we will use them. Do you think at the end of what could be a 15hr shift that we want to park up somewhere where we can’t even have access to a toilet let alone a hot meal and washing facilities? Glews Garage at Goole built a truck park facility next to its petrol station that can take 70 trucks and within a week or so of it opening it was ram packed full every single night. The demand is there and we will use them.

It isn’t that we don’t want to park in truck stops, it is just like in the rest of the country the HGV parking facilities just don’t exist.

It would be nice if journalists like yourself actually put forward the message that there is a woeful lack of HGV parking causing the issue instead of just writing stories about how something is being done to move those nasty dirty trucks on.

Conor:

Re your “Plan under development to deal with anti-social parking by lorry drivers on Doncaster streets”

Can you tell me what is intended to be done? There is no lorry parking in Doncaster and the laybys trucks used to park in on the A1 between the M18 and M62 have been closed and dug up which is why more and more lorries are being forced to park where they can. There are only a handful of HGV parking places at the services at Bawtry and at the two filling stations near the A638 junction and Ferrybridge services are full by 5pm.

Meanwhile in the Doncaster area more and more distribution centres are being built, businesses which create hundreds of jobs for the residents of the Doncaster area, which require more lorries to deliver to them which means more HGV parking is needed but instead of more HGV parking the authorities are reducing what is available in the area.

My suggestion is that if the residents don’t want lorries parking on their streets that they stop campaigning against every application there is for truck stops and instead campaign for a decent sized truck stop to be built in the area. The demand is there and we will use them. Do you think at the end of what could be a 15hr shift that we want to park up somewhere where we can’t even have access to a toilet let alone a hot meal and washing facilities? Glews Garage at Goole built a truck park facility next to its petrol station that can take 70 trucks and within a week or so of it opening it was ram packed full every single night. The demand is there and we will use them.

It isn’t that we don’t want to park in truck stops, it is just like in the rest of the country the HGV parking facilities just don’t exist.

It would be nice if journalists like yourself actually put forward the message that there is a woeful lack of HGV parking causing the issue instead of just writing stories about how something is being done to move those nasty dirty trucks on.

Good response that, it’s a shame it will be read and digested and then ignored by the author.

The cost is another thing. I get parking paid but I know of others that don’t and at £30 a night it will make a dent in even the most solid earnings if not refunded.

There is a widespread lack of reasonably priced parking with reasonable services throughout the UK. It is pathetic considering all goods at some point get transported by road.

The residents of Rossington are seeing an increase in traffic through the village due to the opening of the nearby great Yorkshire way which runs past the iport to J3, which has shortened the journey time to the A1/M18 junction the issue is compounded by the temporary closure of the road through Harworth for the installation of a new roundabout close to the A1 Services st Blyth where they’re building a new warehouse. They’ also blocked off the patch of land there and installed curbs where 3-4 trucks regularly parked up

When I was on the boxes, I used to park up quite regularly on Water Vole way. Towards the end, we used to avoid it like the plague. Diesel getting nicked and box seals getting cut off. Shame really because it was a good spot. Morissons and a pub across the road.

Good reply to the author, but there is more mileage HGV bashing than trying to fight our corner.

Conor:

Nice reply, shame the journo won’t be able to comprehend it.

Someone on here once suggested parking up on any street you like, leave the sidelights on and you’re technically legal.

Interesting that the article mentions a new services proposed on the A1 that got shouted out by locals.

There lies the problem staring them in the face!

Everybody expects fully stocked shelves, everything on their door step, next day delivery, free returns etc etc but want absolutely nothing to do with the logistics & lorries that make it happen. “Get the freight on the railways” they all cry, well they wouldn’t want the rail infrastructure in their back yard either.

Well done to the knobs dropping bottles of tizer, that’s really helping the cause :unamused:

TheUncaringCowboy:
Someone on here once suggested parking up on any street you like, leave the sidelights on and you’re technically legal.

As long as there is no weight limit, no signs banning HGV or overnight parking then they’re right, you can.

The simple facts are the british public hate trucks. They want the goods but not the trucks.

The truck drivers are not catered for adequately,poor facilitys,crap food at msa,s at rip off prices,no were near enough parking.

The people have not learned to live with and accept the truck as an essential part of life and never will.
Whats needed is an all out nation strike[never happen.

But how many depots do you pass in the week that are empty as trampers are away for the week :exclamation: , bit of co- operation between companies wouldn’t go amiss , drivers are as bad , I’ve passed our drivers parked in lay-bys 2 mins from company yard , yes some may of run out of hours but I know plenty who have a shower / grub then find a layby , mate stops at lymm , how far away is Appleton , drivers who are told if they park at there own yard theyl not get paid n/o money so go a layby up the road
There’s also a lot more that could be done by companies to ease the parking issues but they’d rather the yard stood empty that park a driver or two in it

Gosh, can’t you all drive at night, peasants.

I don’t know what they’re moaning about. If it wasn’t for trucks rough parking around Donny there would be no cheap diesel and knock off goods to keep their local economy going.

dafdave:
The simple facts are the british public hate trucks. They want the goods but not the trucks.

The truck drivers are not catered for adequately,poor facilitys,crap food at msa,s at rip off prices,no were near enough parking.

The people have not learned to live with and accept the truck as an essential part of life and never will.
Whats needed is an all out nation strike[never happen.

I think that trucks, or lorries as they once were, used to be more accepted. There used to be fewer of them, and more space for them to park. Once upon a time there were patches of “waste ground” scattered around trading estates etc.
Increased population, less space for all, makes everybody more protective of any little place they have.
It’ll only get worse unless steps are taken to provide suitable off road parking.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

my mate tells me we’ve a yard at bawltry, new one on me , but if I can get to bawltry I can get to Grantham for the night :wink: :laughing:

Don’t do nights out as on night trunks,but I sympathise with people that do the parking situation is dire,trying to get a 45 in anywhere though night is bad enough!
When you go into services in middle of night and the lorry park is rammed with trampers at £30 a pop you’d have thought they’d be opening them up everywhere!!I know the facilities are poor but it ain’t a bad business plan really…

Yorkielad:
Don’t do nights out as on night trunks,but I sympathise with people that do the parking situation is dire,trying to get a 45 in anywhere though night is bad enough!
When you go into services in middle of night and the lorry park is rammed with trampers at £30 a pop you’d have thought they’d be opening them up everywhere!!I know the facilities are poor but it ain’t a bad business plan really…

Except of course getting planning permission for truck park?
No responsible central gov planning for facilities for trucks, plus it ain’t “free market” economics.
I blame the EU. Once we’re out Brussels can’t stop us parking

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I bet the driver who parked on the A160/A180 slip road regrets it this morning [emoji22]

Yorkielad:

It’s a crap business plan. Trampers nighting-out don’t spend loadsamoney although their vehicles do occupy a significant chunk of parking space for 9-12 hours at a time. The business rates on that piece of prime (close to the trunk road network) land along with the staffing costs to serve up maybe 50 meals (each with a profit in low single figures) and keep the place clean/tidy will account for most of the £30 per vehicle parking charge.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

Yorkielad:

It’s a crap business plan. Trampers nighting-out don’t spend loadsamoney although their vehicles do occupy a significant chunk of parking space for 9-12 hours at a time. The business rates on that piece of prime (close to the trunk road network) land along with the staffing costs to serve up maybe 50 meals (each with a profit in low single figures) and keep the place clean/tidy will account for most of the £30 per vehicle parking charge.

Nobody mentioned staff to cook meals or have any facilities for the drivers,just a chunk of land to park,like they would on a industrial estate e.t.c.
Don’t know if you can still park on the friarwood at bottom of Pontefract,or little council car park at back of canal In Brighouse but councils used to charge cars though day and lorry’s at night to park,walking distance to local facilities and councils had continued revenue day and night.

Wheel Nut:
I bet the driver who parked on the A160/A180 slip road regrets it this morning [emoji22]

Unfortunately he was parked in a lay-by near Croxton, far from a slip road - 3 miles to be exact!

Here…

F027390C-6C41-4DC0-84BA-2E6A8CBCA8D8.jpeg

Yorkielad:

Roymondo:

Yorkielad:

Nobody mentioned staff to cook meals or have any facilities for the drivers,just a chunk of land to park,like they would on a industrial estate e.t.c.
Don’t know if you can still park on the friarwood at bottom of Pontefract,or little council car park at back of canal In Brighouse but councils used to charge cars though day and lorry’s at night to park,walking distance to local facilities and councils had continued revenue day and night.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
even the simple provision of parking on a chunk of land,then it would do nothing but attract every junkie prozzy for 100 miles along with the diddycoys out on the rob for diesel and the taliban unloading you while you sleep,hence headache for plod,and every nimby within the park and the nearest motorway would be causing aggro to the council.
the aroma of ■■■■ and crap all over the place would mean having to keep the place clean and the council wont be paying for that either,so the easiest thing to do is to remove any parking facility whatsoever and let the problem i.e.parked trucks go elsewhere.job done.