Parking Fine

I was stopped on a zizag, while trying to locate shop I was delivering to.

I was there only 3 minutes, PCSO, issued with a notice of intent to prosecute.

She reckons that I was there for about 10 minutes, but I told I was only there 3 minutes, I checked my tacho printout, it was 5 minutes which included time to talk to her and time to get out onto a gap in traffic.

It says they may intend to prosecute.

It was a big road so long zigzags, and I was parked only on part of it and still quite far away from the crossing.

I have left that particular company now, I’m still ringing them to ask if they’ve recieved anything. :blush:

My questions are, how long is it they have to contact you by? I’m worried that the company won’t pass the letter onto me. What are the likely fines or points? Has anybody been in this situation? I can’t find anybody’s posts with anything similar. Can anybody enlighten me? Thanks.

They have 14 days to send the notice of prosecution to the registered keeper,then 6 months to chase after you.You may as well just pay the £10₩ fine and 3 penalty points as stopping anywhere on the zigzags is forbidden in all circumstances

Unless it’s changed recently the registered owner of the vehicle has to receive the NIP within 14 days of the offence.

I don’t know if there’s a time limit for the owner to notify you.

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

If the PCSO told you at the time, they may prosecute, it seems that`s enough for them to carry on and do so.

“NIPs can also be issued verbally to the driver at the time of the offence or alternatively, you could receive a court summons through the post for the alleged offence within 14 days.”
westyorkshire.police.uk/ask … stion/Q557

You have “been contacted” because you were spoken to at the time, it seems to me.

If your ex company does not pass any papers onto you how can you be prosecuted it was their vehicle, that was at fault even though you was driving it
As a matter of interest you say zigzag if it was for pedestrian crossing / school entrance

Thanks for all the replies.

By the way the 14 days is not applicable in my case I think, because she handed me the NIP. The NIP, says not to contact them as they will be in touch.

My ex company are giving up their lease and the company is going to cease trading as they’re not making much of a profit, so it makes it very complicated and I am probably not going to get notified so I am a bit worried.

I would have preferred a telephone number, so now I can’t see if they’ve issued a summons or fine.

Thanks again to lollipop, Franglais, tachograph and Sploom

andmcmic:
My questions are, how long is it they have to contact you by? I’m worried that the company won’t pass the letter onto me. What are the likely fines or points? Has anybody been in this situation? I can’t find anybody’s posts with anything similar. Can anybody enlighten me? Thanks.

It’s an absolute offence. You cannot park on zig-zags, not even for a few seconds. Because she’s already notified you in person they have up to 6 months. It is extremely likely you’ll get points and a fine. As they already have your name and address then correspondence will be sent to the address on your driving licence, not the registered keeper - that is only done to get the contact details of the driver which they already have in your case.

For future reference if you have to stop where there’s parking restrictions and it’s a choice between zig zags and double yellows choose the double yellows because at worst it’s a fine whereas the zig zags are also points which need to be declared when getting insurance.

pity that pcso doesn’t hang around near the crossing in the middle of a village i pass through on the way home from work, there’s often a non member of the caravan club vehicle left on the zig-zags

Why can busses stop on a zig-zag, and lorries can’t?

Parking within the limits of a pedestrian crossing is generally a big no-no. Even just stopping a motor vehicle is not normally allowed (apart from the obvious to let pedestrians cross, prevent an accident etc.) The OP seems unlucky to have been caught but I wouldn’t risk it. Being caught on a red route in that London was bad enough but I wouldn’t risk points on my licence, I bet they’d really love that up there.

A “public service vehicle” is allowed to stop on the far side of a crossing to board or alight passengers (this is basically a bus operating a local service in this example, AIUI, i.e. not a coach or taxi). I’d like to know the reasons why this is allowed, perhaps interested parties influenced this outcome in the dim and distant.
For further reading q.v. legislation.gov.uk/uksi/199 … on/22/made

lolipop:
If your ex company does not pass any papers onto you how can you be prosecuted it was their vehicle, that was at fault even though you was driving it
As a matter of interest you say zigzag if it was for pedestrian crossing / school entrance

So next time time we get stopped by the police for a road traffic offence,we can get away with by blaming the vehicle then…

lolipop:

The company only has to pass the details to the authorities, they will send the paperwork to the driver. Lots of things are the responsibility of the driver, not the company, obeying the basics of road signage is definitely the driver’s responsibility alone.

Could take a while for fine to come.
Fine will go to register keeper of truck.
. Which where I work is MV commercials as on lease/ hire.
They would then send it back /inform DVLA who it’s on hire to so resend another ticket to my place of work. There then ha e to work out who. Was driving and forward to ticket to them . Or if you work for a decent company there pay it for you.
Yes had this happen twice at last place worked at.

The nip is not required for zig zags. The drivers detail ,known at the time so no need to send request to the owners. Usually, driver gets a ticket there and then? Assuming for some reason they didn’t, driver can expect one of 3 things
Summons in the post within 6 months of date of offence
Letter to say NfA within 6 months
Nothing heard at any time.

I was a bus driver for 3 years and you are not allowed to stop on the zigzags. Unless the bus has broken down and cannot move. The council however do often place bus stops in ridiculous locations without a thought for Safety.