Parking Brake Procedure

I’ve got my theory tests booked for next Tuesday and assuming I pass, I hope to book my Class 2 training as soon as possible afterwards. Until then I want to drive my car as if it were a truck. I’ve dipped the rearview mirror so I’m relying solely on my side mirrors & generally I’m thinking about positioning, smooth braking, etc.

Now, this may seem like an obvious question but what is the correct sequence for applying the Parking Brake, is it before or after selecting neutral?

And when stopping at a junction, traffic lights etc. (assuming level ground), how long would you anticipate needing to be stationary for to use the Parking brake as opposed to just holding on the service brake?

Hope this makes sense!

Cheers, Nez

your instructor will tell you this though the way i do it now if im in a manual (which is rare) is brake on before neutral

i use the handbrake whenever i need to stop really, but im on bulk liquid tankers and some tanks dont have baffles and even with your foot on the brake it can still send you flying forward, with handbrake and brake it wont move.

Cheers gogzy, I’m asking now because I want to get into the habit before I start the training - one less thing to have to learn (or bad habit to break!) during the training :laughing:

Cheers, Nez

its a natural instinct tbh, youll soon remember to pull the handbrake when you need to.

i rarely pull the handbrake in my car even when waiting at light sbut if im in the truck its the first thing that goes on, i drive an automatic aswell so dont need to worry about gears…unless its in manual mode which it usually is. try pulling away from lights with 30 ton glucose in 11th gear…lol

Correct proceedure is brake then neutral. But if you do it the other way round on a test it’s not considered a driving fault - so there is no mark for it.

As for when to use it; I describe it as “when you’re stood for a good length of time”. This will always include stopping at the side of the road, stopping at a recently changed red light, pedestrian crossings (to protect pedestrians crossing in front of you) and then the, somewhat vague, if stood for more than a little while.

I encourage trainees to use it as they feel appropriate and I’ll correct it as needs be. It’s very rarely an issue to get excited about and you should be guided by your instructor.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

And use the [zb]ing parking brake at night when stopped at lights and so forth so as not to dazzle the bloke behind with your brake lights while you sit with your foot on the brake pedal. :smiling_imp: :imp:

Sorry, pet hate of mine. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

I always teach not to use the parking brake when 1st at a roundabout (unless on a hill). This is because the slight delay in the brakes releasing may prevent you going for a gap you could make without the delay in the brakes.

Peter’s advice and description is pretty much spot on.

Don’t get too bothered about the handbrake. Be far more concerned about the mirrors.

As always take what your instructor says as gospel.

John
Flair Training

You will find with a sloppy liquid load, the truck will “stand still” sooner with the brakes off, try pulling onto an old weighbridge and wait for the load to stop sloshing, with the handbrake off it will weigh almost immediately as it rocks back and forth on the bridge.

Don’t attempt it on test though :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been away for sometime and just catching up, so apologies if you have this sussed now.

The instructor I had a small routine he would say… Hand brake, neutral, rest feet, cancel signal, switch down, which was a reference to 4 over 4 gearbox. :slight_smile:

I remember a driver we trained over 15 years ago who had an issue with handbrake on his driving test. The first driving test he was quite poor and didn’t use the handbrake hardly at all and failed the test. As you can then imagine on his re-test with the same examiner he failed again for using the handbrake too much! But thankfully on the third attempt he drove with a more common sense approach to the use of his handbrake and the same examiner once again passed the chap along with some sarcastic words along the lines of ‘you’re now much better with the handbrake’.

Bit of an extreme case and the trainee wasn’t about to ever about win a driver of the year competition but it just shows that the driving examiners do expect you to use and not use the handbrake. I teach drivers to use the handbrake at junctions and roundabouts if when they arrive they can’t see a fairly immediate opportunity to move away. When they see a gap approaching they can if they struggle to release the handbrake quick enough and cope with the delay caused by the secondary brake (especially with a trailer because as your releasing the handbrake on the truck it is applying the trailer service brakes for a short time), release the handbrake and transfer to brake pedal. Although i don’t suggest you use this method on hill starts because you may roll backwards unless your doing a bit of ‘heal and toe’ which is rather too advanced!

All the others post are quite right about applying the handbrake when stopped at crossing etc, but it is hard to explain the trainees that it should be applied after you have been stood for a while, because long is that? 3s? 10s? 15s?

Best not to get too bogged down about it, your better off practicing your mirrors and blind spot, read a highway code too, however, remember not all roundabouts can be completed exactly as the book says, not according the examiners we get!

but it is hard to explain the trainees that it should be applied after you have been stood for a while, because long is that? 3s? 10s? 15s?

Totally understand how vague that is!! But you will also know that there is more to it than just the length of time. eg other traffic conditions, speed of road and traffic - - the list goes on.

I know that, as a trainer, you understand this. You will also understand how difficult it is to try and help a newbie on a forum like this without getting bogged down in minute detail.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: