Parking and bosses

what amazies me his alot of hauliers wont pay for parking
but are quiet happy for a driver to rome around the countryside looking for somewhere to park at the expense of their diesel and wages if payed on a hourly rate
also i always stop of for a shower meal supplies etc which takes time
cant they claim of the vat man for truck parking ?

Yes, a haulier can claim parking costs against tax expenses, although it does still cost him some amount. My employer will pay for parking but I prefer to park away from other trucks, as I intensely dislike the noise they make during the night and the smell of urine, and so I tend to prefer quiet little industrial estates which are a few minutes walk away from the pub, chippy etc.

Harry Monk:
Yes, a haulier can claim parking costs against tax expenses, although it does still cost him some amount.

This is something I’ve never quite understood. How does it “still cost something”

IF a company is trading in the black, then other than cashflow I can’t see how it still costs.

They either pay that £20 to me as expenses, or they pay it to the taxman :confused:

dambuster:

Harry Monk:
Yes, a haulier can claim parking costs against tax expenses, although it does still cost him some amount.

This is something I’ve never quite understood. How does it “still cost something”

IF a company is trading in the black, then other than cashflow I can’t see how it still costs.

They either pay that £20 to me as expenses, or they pay it to the taxman :confused:

Nonsense: If they dont give you the £20 it adds to their profit so they pay tax on the extra. If they pay £20 for parking then yes - they can recover (or offset) the £3 that is VAT but they will still be out by £17.

Of course you can argue that not paying is bad practice since drivers will be parked in unsafe places but MSA’s aren’t safe either. The other problem is the driver who claims for expenses that he didn’t pay for. (fraudulent receipt anyone?)

Santa:

dambuster:

Harry Monk:

Nonsense: If they dont give you the £20 it adds to their profit so they pay tax on the extra. If they pay £20 for parking then yes - they can recover (or offset) the £3 that is VAT but they will still be out by £17.

Of course you can argue that not paying is bad practice since drivers will be parked in unsafe places but MSA’s aren’t safe either. The other problem is the driver who claims for expenses that he didn’t pay for. (fraudulent receipt anyone?)

WOT ?!?!?!?!?!

You might find they reclaim the VAT element in full, as I think you said.

Now then, the £17.39 (Until January)

Let’s say a company’s tax bill is £117.39 (A very small company :wink: )

Here’s a (genuine) receipt for a legitimate business expenditure (parking) at £17.39

How much does the tax bill become ?