Parking A quick poll

When i pay to park the company vehicle over night i am not given a choice of what to pay.When you pay for a night some places give you a meal some places give you a meal voucherA % off the price of food or to use in there shop in with the price they give you this so you use there facilities when i hand my reciepts in for parking the person who sorts out our expenses see’s fit to deduct either a % for the meal that was given to you for useing the facilities or the amount given to you in meal vouchers I:E you pay to park £10 they GIVE you £2 meal voucher so i would get £8 back my argument is why should my meal/meal voucher mean i as the driver should help pay towards the company parking (spelling might not be great)

When I was doing nights out, I used to be refunded the whole amount I had paid out for parking, including if I had got the more pricey meal voucher ticket.
Of course this was also on top of the £5 p/day meal allowance we got. :laughing: :wink:

If I remember correctly when getting a ticket from MSA’s, you rip the meal voucher off so there isn’t any record of a meal voucher on the main ticket for your company to be able to see?

Chopsticks:
When I was doing nights out, I used to be refunded the whole amount I had paid out for parking, including if I had got the more pricey meal voucher ticket.
Of course this was also on top of the £5 p/day meal allowance we got. :laughing: :wink:

If I remember correctly when getting a ticket from MSA’s, you rip the meal voucher off so there isn’t any record of a meal voucher on the main ticket for your company to be able to see?

exactly right when i pay for parking they ask whether you want the meal which is usually an extra few quid so yes i do want the meal, you give them the voucher and keep the parking ticket. and throw away the meal reciept from the till which most services give you a £10 to spend on food, hand in the parking voucher too your work and bobs your uncle.

i don’t pay for parking very often, but when i do, i get the whole lot back.
if there was an issue with only getting say £8.00 instead of the full £10.00, then i would explain that the £2.00 difference compensates for the overpriced food, which i would have got cheaper if i had parked the truck somewhere else less secure.
and if they can’t pay me properly, then they can look for another driver.

you could pay with your fuel card, that’ll sort out a lot of hassle.

we get running money up front every week as we dont have and bridge tags for the uk, they even pay for the maps we buy

I would get it all back except I never park in MSAs, a quiet little industrial estate is my parking place of choice.

Harry Monk:
I would get it all back except I never park in MSAs, a quiet little industrial estate is my parking place of choice.

What I like to do (but I drive rigids only) is to turn into some side, quiet road and find some quiet layby near to some village shop or pub…

I voted the “my company doesn’t pay a bean” option

We get above the norm with regards to night out money (about £33) and i’m happy enough to park in a customers yard or TA member overnight. Sometimes i’ll slum it and bung it on and ind est.

Places like Tebay, for example, that charge £8 are about me limit. MSA’s, obviously, don’t come into the equation.

hiabman:
I voted the “my company doesn’t pay a bean” option

We get above the norm with regards to night out money (about £33) and i’m happy enough to park in a customers yard or TA member overnight. Sometimes i’ll slum it and bung it on and ind est.

Places like Tebay, for example, that charge £8 are about me limit. MSA’s, obviously, don’t come into the equation.

In my last full time job, I had 35 overnight allowance and I was paid fully for all my parking expenses…

orys:
In my last full time job, I had 35 overnight allowance and I was paid fully for all my parking expenses…

Well Orys, that sounds like an unusually high rate but i’ve no reason to doubt you m8.

Maybe i’m just a mug :confused:

It’s still a ton a week for three nights out. 'Appy days :smiley:

hiabman:

orys:

Well Orys, that sounds like an unusually high rate but i’ve no reason to doubt you m8.

It was because it wasn’t a transport company but a company from construction industry. Most of the guys were traveling in sprinters and I was delivering the stuff for them to fit it on the site. We had all the same overnight allowance, but they had to stay in B&Bs or hotels and I had a sleeping cab :wink:

As for lorry park - this was going to the “vehicle expenses parking/tolls/etc.” not to “accomodation”.

But to be fair on odd occasions I had to travel on sprinter or hired 7,5 tonner as well and then I had to stop for the hotel myself.

orys:

hiabman:

orys:

It was because it wasn’t a transport company but a company from construction industry. Most of the guys were traveling in sprinters and I was delivering the stuff for them to fit it on the site. We had all the same overnight allowance, but they had to stay in B&Bs or hotels and I had a sleeping cab :wink:

As for lorry park - this was going to the “vehicle expenses parking/tolls/etc.” not to “accomodation”.

when i worked for enviromental company we used to get 35 p night dig money and throw in for a static caravan was a good scam in the summer we used to camp out £4 per night £31 beer and kebab :wink:
when i was at southampton we used to get put in jury’s hotel and they would give us £20 cash per night for food and 2 pints, god i miss that job earning 30,000+ and sometimes 200 per week tax free in the back pocket.
But to be fair on odd occasions I had to travel on sprinter or hired 7,5 tonner as well and then I had to stop for the hotel myself.

I have always been paid 100% whether there is an incentive for the driver or not. Some MSA offer a ticket with meal voucher or just for parking, sometimes there is only £1.00 difference between the two, occasionally they only have one type of ticket and you are forced to pay the most expensive.

I mentioned it as an incentive to the driver, that is like a Hotel chain offering free newspapers against those that do not.

In a previous job, a cleaning station would give the driver two £1 victoria wine vouchers, until some greedy chemical tank companies asked for the price of a tanker clean to be reduced by £2.00. The cleaning stations who did this shot themselves in the foot as we then cleaned out at another wash who still offered the incentives

Ever since I started at my company we got given a £20 float for our trucks and when its gone just ask for more and give receipts for the £20 used,I asked if meals were included and they said no,so my response was “no meals paid for no nights out please as I have plenty of better food at home that I can eat”
to which the response from the TM at the time was “keep it quiet and we will pay for your food”

Fez,it’s not quite as clear cut as that.There is an income tax liability to take into account.
Most companies have an agreement with their local tax office as to how much they can pay without receipts.
for example, lets say your overnight allowance is a standard £25 and you get £5 meal money without receipts no questions asked.
If you park on an msa and pay to park with a meal voucher on top,say£22 instead of £20 just to park the revenue would want their piece of the £2.If you pay the £22 then just claim back £20 for parking,you are still better off and no questions asked.
If you park at a truckstop ,let’s say £12 parking full stop but they give you a free meal or discount off meal then there is nothing they can do about it as they don’t know whether you took up the offer or not.
That is why Orys and his Sprinter buddies come under different rules ,as say travelling salesmen etc who have to submit receipts for all expenditure.

disgo:
Fez,it’s not quite as clear cut as that.There is an income tax liability to take into account.

In my case 22 was untaxed and 13 was taxed…

My boss doesn’t pay for parking and I’m not gonna waste my night out money on those zbholes so I either find a quiet layby or industrial estate to park up

You have already had the cost of your meal covered by your night out money so if the company refund the meal voucher as well that could take you over the threshold which can be paid tax free. That could land the company in trouble and land you with a tax bill so best just to be happy your company pay for the parking and not push it otherwise it could come back and bite you on the ■■■.

The country is going bankrupt so whoever is in power will be looking to maximise revenue, which could mean the tax authorities looking closely at tax free payments and checking they aren’t being abused and are being used for their intended purpose. So, if anyone has been getting the meal voucher element of the parking paid or paying to park the truck out of their night out money they should be keeping their fingers crossed this doesn’t happen or they could be making extra payments to get the country out of this hole. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

i pay for the meal voucher and if i get it back then all well and good. a couple of weeks ago i piad out for the voucher which was £2.00 extra and got a £10 voucher which seems like a good deal to me. if the company take the £2.00 back off me i dont care cos ive still got a £10 voucher.

a clearer explanation i get paid £21-00 for a night out thats mine tax free that is payment for looking after there vehicle and the inconveniance of being away. i then park there lorry not msa some where like orwell or stockyard no choice what you pay i pay what they ask i:e orwell £14-00 they choose to give me a meal voucher of £3-00 why then should i only get back £11-00 after all its not my vehicle if asda started to give me £50-00 shopping a week do’s that mean i will loose £50-00 off my wages the lorry park give you food or meal voucher what has that got to do with what the company give you back even if i don’t eat we still have a deduction I could understand the deduction if i purchased a higher priced ticket that came with food .