Parker Steel Canterbury

Evening all,
Does anyone know what they are like to work for as they are advertising locally ?
Any training, Do they look after drivers, fleet,etc. Seen them advertising occasionally and wonder if it’s due to turn over of staff or gaining new business.

Any info appreciated Thanks

I can’t ever remember a time in the last 30 years when they weren’t advertising for drivers.

Sounds ominous then thanks Harry

If you can expand a bit on what you are after (class1/class 2, nights out/ no nights out and where in Kent you are) then I’m sure you’ll get some pointers

Just call them and send them your CV, if it’s not what you’re looking for then Pass and move on

Run a fleet of rusty, beaten up Ivecos, can be on a long run to an area (ie Portsmouth or Southampton) and then 10-15 drops in that area, and on return maybe required to go into Shoreham depot to collect stock from their dock for return to Canterbury. Poor loading (ie customers orders mixed with others) and last 6 months, drivers have to take photos before, during and after unloading. Cameras all round lorry including load deck, (for which I know 1 driver got caught not wearing hard hat on back of lorry as the boss was watching!).

I don’t work for Parkers, I work for a competitor, but spoke to a few regular round drivers in different areas who all say the same!

Good luck…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worked for them ■■■■■ for 15 years and am in touch with a few poor unfortunates that still work there. Avoid it like the plague, it was an awful, depressing place to work when I was there and by all accounts it’s even worse now.
No idea what they are paying drivers now but from what I hear it won’t be good. Or worth it.

I done some agency work driving for Yeowart steel in Crawley for a few years… it was easy work then, but not sure now since it looks like Parkers have taken them over too at some point!

Lennoxtown:
I done some agency work driving for Yeowart steel in Crawley for a few years… it was easy work then, but not sure now since it looks like Parkers have taken them over too at some point!

Yeah, bought them out in 2002, kept the yard, a couple of members of staff and the order book!

Les Shoes:
Yeah, bought them out in 2002, kept the yard, a couple of members of staff and the order book!

Any idea what the job is like now? Do they still run artics from Crawley? Been thinking of giving them a call

Les Shoes:
I worked for them [zb] for 15 years and am in touch with a few poor unfortunates that still work there. Avoid it like the plague, it was an awful, depressing place to work when I was there and by all accounts it’s even worse now.
No idea what they are paying drivers now but from what I hear it won’t be good. Or worth it.

No offence intended Les, but why the hell did you stay there for 15 years? If a company I worked at was anything like you describe then I reckon they’d get a max of 15 days from me before I walked.

the maoster:

Les Shoes:
I worked for them [zb] for 15 years and am in touch with a few poor unfortunates that still work there. Avoid it like the plague, it was an awful, depressing place to work when I was there and by all accounts it’s even worse now.

No offence intended Les, but why the hell did you stay there for 15 years? If a company I worked at was anything like you describe then I reckon they’d get a max of 15 days from me before I walked.

It wasn’t that bad when I started there, things gradually worsened over the years. I was promoted a few times which made the money better. While I was there it seemed like I couldn’t find another job that would pay me as much as they did and I didn’t think I could support my family if I left. I ended up leaving my family as I was so miserable.
With hindsight, which as we know is always 20/20, I realise I was wrong and I should have cut and run sooner. Especially as what ultimately got me out of there was an accident that nearly killed me, got a ride in the air ambulance though!
So pay attention folks, lessons to be learned here!

Fair enough Les, hope things are on the up for you now mate. I can understand how it’s easy to get stuck in the rut of a horrible job, you keep telling yourself that you’ll leave soon and suddenly 10 years have passed.

the maoster:
Fair enough Les, hope things are on the up for you now mate. I can understand how it’s easy to get stuck in the rut of a horrible job, you keep telling yourself that you’ll leave soon and suddenly 10 years have passed.

Thanks, It all turned out alright in the end :slight_smile: