Park Royal - again

A couple of months ago I posted about my experience driving into London (Park Royal) and how I cocked it up big time - was late getting to my first drop, meaning I was too late to drop at Park Royal and ended up taking most of the load back to base.

Well, on Monday morning I have another run with the same firm (Agency driver), again going into Park Royal (then a few places out along the M4). I’m bricking it. I can see myself getting it all wrong again and fouling up big time. It’s a 5am start (Watford Gap), with my booking for Park Royal at 10am. Why have they allowed 4+ hours for a 70 mile journey??

Yes, I am seriously bricking it here…

Relax. The start time will have been pre-determined regardless of who the driver was.

Monday morning on the M1. You’re welcome to it.

Just make sure you are familiar with any ‘feasible’ alternative routes.

One day I was going to (I think) Elstree, M25 Jn 25 ish. Listening to the radio the M25 was static clockwise from the M1, so I went A507 to the A1, then A602 to the A10. It took longer but I never saw any queues. :laughing:

park royals on the north circular, as london goes, an easy drop!
if you’ve aleady got a road name why not go on the rac route planner and print you route off? it’s a lot easier pulling over to check your route than it is taking a wrong turn.

You’ve plenty of time to get their for a 10am booking, even with a foul up and traffic :wink:. you generally hit traffic between J11 and 9 on the M1, I’m not so sure what it’s like down their though.

enjoy

Cheers

Ian.

Good luck Roymondo and I hope everything goes well for you :smiley: .

North circular on a Monday■■? I’ve taken 1 1/2 hours to get from Staples Corner to Hanger Lane (Park Royal territory) simply because of the volume of traffic. Try and chill out and, as Krankee said, have some alternatives in mind (not that I can readily think of too many that are likely to be any quicker).

good luck roy just chill and go with the flow mate

Wiretwister:
North circular on a Monday■■? I’ve taken 1 1/2 hours to get from Staples Corner to Hanger Lane (Park Royal territory) simply because of the volume of traffic. Try and chill out and, as Krankee said, have some alternatives in mind (not that I can readily think of too many that are likely to be any quicker).

Even if you do take that amount of time, they’ve still left plenty of time in case you get stuck in any traffic :wink:. BTW, it’s signed off the North Circular. Make sure you follow it right instead of left and you’ll see it as you potter/crawl round. Have a good look at the new Wembly Stadium whilst your down their :wink:.

Thanks for the encouraging noises! Seems I was worrying unnecessarily. I got into Park Royal at 0715, with no missed turnings on the way, then off along the M4 for my second drop (Aldi, Swindon) only to find the Goods In yard totally deserted. The little notice on the gatehouse says they only take deliveries between 0700 and 0930. Hey, ho…

Quick phone call to base and they apologised - they had that information but whoever drew up the run sheet forgot to take account of it (they grumbled before when I did things in a different order, so I simply followed their plan). So I had to take a couple of pallets of razor blades back to base.

Third drop at Thatcham, then a collection at Reading before heading back to Watford Gap. All done by 5pm, and a positive comment from the manager on my return - “Thanks very much - We’ll see if we can find some more work for you”.

Mind you, the other day while dropping a tacho chart in at the Agency, there were two of Exel’s drivers in the office just signing up with them…