Paperwork to legally drive?

Hi,

I’m trying to determine what I actually need in my possession to be legal to drive vs. what an employer would like me to have, while I wait for the various pieces of plastic to arrive through the post.

I have all the pass certificates for everything I have done so far, and the examiner took my licence to exchange it for the full licence.

The gov.uk currently shows I still only have provisional entitlement for Cat. C, and nothing for CPC.

Does the pass certificate for the licence also apply for the Cat. C part, or not until the system is updated and it shows the full Cat. C on the website?

It’s a requirement to drive with the DQC card, which hasn’t yet arrived. Is the pass certificate for this a suitable substitute while waiting for the card?

I guess I’m getting impatient having sat around for months to get to this point, I now want to get out and find work! Obviously I want to do so legally.

You might find a few employers who will accept pass certs but the greater majority will want to see the cards

ROG:
You might find a few employers who will accept pass certs but the greater majority will want to see the cards

That’s what I thought… The waiting continues…

You can still apply for jobs, just apply directly to companies and not agencies. Agencies will want you in asap to register and you’d need your cards, but if you apply directly, by the time they’ve gone through the recruitment process you could well have your cards in your hand

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

It is fairly well known that you can drive with a driving test pass certificate and Pete Smythe who used to own the forum sponsor has confirmed as much. I don’t see a reason why the initial CPC wouldn’t be the same. They obviously don’t let you sit either the practical driving test or the practical demonstration for CPC without the requisite passes in theories or case studies before, so the pass certificates, signed and dated should be absolutely fine. I think you can also rely on pass certificates for ongoing CPC if your card lapsed or you did it all last minute.

Should be all good legally then, but that is only part of it because wherever there are people dealing with the administration side of things a whole host of other stories and policies, applied rightly or wrongly / for or against the particular company policy will come into play. It could come down simply to what the particular person you are dealing with thinks on it. If you teach someone to photocopy cards and you present pieces of paper, the reaction might be to just refuse to photocopy anything but cards.

Whatever is the case I can’t see you getting a drive without a tachograph card, but this can always be applied for in good time before passing anyhow.

When did you pass your driving test?

As the examiners now use tablets for testing your licence should update online within 24hrs of passing the test, card will typically follow a few days later.

DQC will take a little longer as these aren’t issued until your lorry entitlement shows - exception here is if you already have C1 by acquired rights (pre-1997).

Hi,

Thanks for the replies!

BishBashBosh:
When did you pass your driving test?

As the examiners now use tablets for testing your licence should update online within 24hrs of passing the test, card will typically follow a few days later.

DQC will take a little longer as these aren’t issued until your lorry entitlement shows - exception here is if you already have C1 by acquired rights (pre-1997).

I passed earlier this week (8th Feb).

I don’t have acquired rights.

Noremac:
Whatever is the case I can’t see you getting a drive without a tachograph card, but this can always be applied for in good time before passing anyhow.

I have a tacho card. I’m just waiting on the DQC and licence.

Terry Cooksey:
You can still apply for jobs, just apply directly to companies and not agencies. Agencies will want you in asap to register and you’d need your cards, but if you apply directly, by the time they’ve gone through the recruitment process you could well have your cards in your hand

I was going to try this (companies) first by “knocking on doors”. Just concerned if I don’t have cards in-hand whether that would be a problem. I’d rather wait in that case.

Is your license showing online?

stu675:

CPC is now showing for Cat. C with expiry date.

Licence is now showing as “UNCLAIMED TEST PASS”. Huh??!!!

gov.uk/apply-for-your-full-driving-licence

If you have a photocard provisional driving licence, and you haven’t changed your name, your examiner will send your driving test pass certificate to the DVLA.

Well… the examiner took my licence to do exactly that…

TruckerGuy:

I did think this was the case, but was trying to word my reply in a way that would help readers in a similar situation know what the score is.

Regards what has happened, I think it is likely that the examiner can update a system electronically to indicate your pass. The stumbling block is probably the physical part of the process that involves somebody receiving your old card and setting in motion the automatic production of your new card. I would hope that the test centre would send away daily, but perhaps if the examiners are examining away from base at a driving school, they may not return the cards for sending immediately.

In any case, I do think you are being slightly impatient considering your appear to have passed on Thursday (going by your post), with an intervening weekend having just passed.

Noremac:

TruckerGuy:

I did think this was the case, but was trying to word my reply in a way that would help readers in a similar situation know what the score is.

Regards what has happened, I think it is likely that the examiner can update a system electronically to indicate your pass. The stumbling block is probably the physical part of the process that involves somebody receiving your old card and setting in motion the automatic production of your new card. I would hope that the test centre would send away daily, but perhaps if the examiners are examining away from base at a driving school, they may not return the cards for sending immediately.

In any case, I do think you are being slightly impatient considering your appear to have passed on Thursday (going by your post), with an intervening weekend having just passed.

Yes… I am. I have been sat around for nearly 6 months doing nothing but wait (I started this whole thing back in August last year)!

TruckerGuy:

stu675:

CPC is now showing for Cat. C with expiry date.

Licence is now showing as “UNCLAIMED TEST PASS”. Huh??!!!

gov.uk/apply-for-your-full-driving-licence

If you have a photocard provisional driving licence, and you haven’t changed your name, your examiner will send your driving test pass certificate to the DVLA.

Well… the examiner took my licence to do exactly that…

There was another case of unclaimed.
r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? … source=app

Unclaimed test pass.

Is your photo due for renewal?

stu675:
There was another case of unclaimed.
r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? … source=app

Unclaimed test pass.

Is your photo due for renewal?

I checked that thread - no it isn’t. Nothing has changed since I applied for the provisional and it isn’t due to expire for a few years yet either.