Paper Tachographs

Can anyone help me please?

I have recently decided to change career at the age of 46.

Up until January this year, I was a computer programmer when suddenly I was made redundant.

I have just signed onto a HGV training course and am currently studying for the theory part.

What I thought I would do meanwhile, is get a job driving a 7.5T (or smaller) doing multidrop just to get experience driving something bigger than a car.

Unfortunately, everyone keeps asking if I have tacho experience.

I have signed with one agency and said I would lookup how to fill in and use paper tachos but this is where my problem lies.

Can anyone advise me where I can obtain this info?

Something with pictures and instructions on how to fill one in, etc., etc?

I have looked on the internet but have come up empty, although I found lots on digital ones.

Hi Nick welcome to Trucknet :laughing:

There are a number of things you can do to bring yourself up to speed with the theory behing Tacho’s but the only way to really get familiar with them is use daily.

On here you will find lots of info on drivers hours law and tacho’s ansers but it takes some trawling through to find all you may wish to know. Check out the Law, Tacho & WTD forum first.

I would advise you get hold of a Drivers hand book fro the FTA, you can get the number from their website and order over the phone.

Actually filling in a tacho is easy just put the relevent info against the symbol indicating the activity, ie name, start point, end point, dates, mileage, etc

Also have a look at this link and see if it helps. Any questions just post on here and you will find everyone only too willing to help.

dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/d … P354_31355

Good luck with the training :laughing: :laughing:

Welcome Nick, I agree with CM as i’ve always found the FTA book useful as it actually has a picure of a tacho in it. If you don’t manage to get 7.5t work its not too much of a problem as I passed my C and C+E (both 1st time although thats not important) after having only car experience.

tachochart.com/index.html

hi nick and welcome to t/net.i hope you find this site useful,try the link above it has some symbols and explanations of what they are for.please feel free to ask questions and i’m sure someone will know the answer,even the stupid ones,( we won’t laugh,well not straight away) :laughing: :laughing: no seriously m8 their all a great bunch on here even though we might not see eye to eye on certain thing’s,but we all want the same thing a desent wage for a descent days work.not much to ask is it :question: :wink: :wink: :wink: enjoy the site

You can order books on tacograph law on the WH Smith website too :wink:

Nick, have you ever seen a tacho? if not have a look at this link:

digital-tachograph.co.uk/frames.htm

The site that Cm linked to is the best place to start, the information can be downloaded (or obtained as a booklet from any HGV testing station, look your local one up in the phone book,) for free & is from the people who enforce the law.
It also contains everything you need to know about the the law on drivers hours in a simple & easily digested manner…
One of the best writers & authorities on transport law is David Lowe & his pocket guide is very good value for money as it goes beyond just tacho law.
you can link to his site here.
kogan-page.co.uk/asp/bookdet … p?key=3541

Hi Nick welcome to Trucknet UK and Good luck with the training.

1. The top line with the person sitting in the chair -
    You put your surname then first name
  2. next line down with arrow pointing right -
    You put place of duty starts
  3. next line down with arrow pointing left -
    You put place of duty ends …( you put this at the end of shift not at the start)
  4. next line -
    date duty starts ie 15/01 2005
  5. next line -
    next line date duty finishes ie 15/01 2005…( you put this date in at the end of shift not at the start)
  6. next line - reg number

The next 3 lines are for your start mileage and finish mileage and your total mileage. Some don’t fill in the total mileage myself included as the maths after be correct as It is not an offence to leave it blank but it is an offence to fill it in incorrectly.

Phone your local vosa for a free Drivers Hours book (reference GV262) they will post one to you.

Driving - Is mostly automatic but on some tachos you put the mode switch on the steering wheel symbol if it as one.
Bed - is for your breaks/rest
Crossed hammers - other work, ie loading/unloading and driving.
Square with a line (Jam butty) - POA’S (period of availability)

On a tacho with only 3 modes ie bed,Square with a line through and Crossed hammers but no steering wheel symbol you now leave it on Crossed hammers and select appropriate symbol when taking rest ect.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8304

dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/d … 22954.hcsp

May I say how impressed I was with all the helpfull advice I received from everyone, and so promptly.

I really only expected one, maybe two replies.

I am glad I joined this web site and am sure, as my training moves on through the theory and onto the actual driving, I will be back with more questions.

Just thought I would let CM know that I have ordered a copy of The Drivers hand book from the FTA, as you recomended…

Thanks again everyone.

Nice one Nick, :smiley: you will find the Drivers Handbook invaluable.

Any questions just ask, there are no stupid questions, sooner ask here and get advice than ■■■■ it up out there and create work for someone else. :blush:

I’ve held my licence for 24 years and I am still learning :wink:

You can also ask your agency for training in it. A lot of agencies have booklets and things that they just don’t hand out if you don’t ask.

Nick, simple answer, go to the the Useful Links forum and look for the link to the GV 262, and download it. It is the DfT’s own guide to Drivers Hours.

approach a friendly looking driver and ask if you can see what they look like…