Palmer & Harvey, Fareham

Shock horror had an ambient load to do the other day and first drop was P&H, handed my notes in at the goods in window and was well impressed to read a notice saying 1-3 pallets let us know and we’ll get you tipped quicker, can’t knock that I thought normally 1 or 26 pallets you’re all treated the same.

Just made a refreshing change I thought.

Def makes a change because they normally leave half of you queuing along double yellows outside on barns wallis road I know cause I spend all day up and down there going back to the yard. It’s a sod of a road to be sat on to the road bares to the left past there yard and you can’t see up the road when your going round them I do pitty the poor sods sat waiting to get in.

Makes a change from places that have queuing systems - I waited two and a half hours for 10 boxes yesterday…P&H might have their customers shouting at them, which might be the reason…

Changed a bit from the one and only time I was in there years ago. I went in there with 4 tips on (for different customers), and they tipped the *$ckin lot, then took hours to re-load it… :confused:

Has any one ever worked for P&H? mainly from the St Helens Depot and possibly via agency?

I worked for P and H Bristol, shocking set up, I was on chilled and frozen one Saturday checked load in morning first cages all marked up drop 1 all good on I went. Get to drop 2 rest of load is backwards. Response I got from depot, “unload on street and swap cages around”.

sinclair89:
Has any one ever worked for P&H? mainly from the St Helens Depot and possibly via agency?

I was only there for a few days before ■■■■■■■ it off and going somewhere else because i like my wagon loaded logically, i.e first drop not on the headboard and bits not scattered everywhere in wrong cages.

Thanks guys,

Going to sign up with an agency this morning , this was the job they are “offering”. Is it two man teams or just a driver and his wagon?

usually they will give you a mate for a couple of days, but they are normally single manned

mainer:
I worked for P and H Bristol, shocking set up, I was on chilled and frozen one Saturday checked load in morning first cages all marked up drop 1 all good on I went. Get to drop 2 rest of load is backwards. Response I got from depot, “unload on street and swap cages around”.

Bristol P&H■■? Shocking■■? Really■■? :unamused: :exclamation: :open_mouth:

jonesy1985:
An eye watering experience had today indeed.

Arrive 6am and pretty keen.
Hover around for half hour.
Discover load not picked. Wait 4 hours for the load.
Once on road told I won’t be driving because we’re in a hurry, but that doesn’t matter, “the company are more interested in showing you how things are done rather than discovering your driving ability.”
Endure something of a roller coaster ride in an under performing brand new Auto Actros. Explains why driving ability is not a problem here!
Consolation? Well I am being paid for today, which involved sitting on my bum for most of it :smiley:
This company have taken on far more than they can handle, not enough pickers and not enough drivers. At least there is lots of over time available! Sadly though they are letting a lot of customers down, so I wonder how long this level of service will continue before clients go elsewhere?

Monies made in madness

Anyway…newbie got a job :laughing:

Been told this afternoon that I should have been there this morning, not what I was told last night. I’m amazed that any deliveries get made!

It’s not uncommon on here for any job that requires a bit of donkey work to get bad reviews, but I see loads of their wagons making deliveries to pretty much anywhere imaginable these days & it does look like a rough gig. Delivering heavy cages to shops with poor access, having to lug said heavy cages over uneven surfaces then decant them into shop… Throw in the reports of loads being loaded in the wrong order, sitting about for hours at depot in the morning making your late out etc. & it just sounds like a bit of a nightmare.

Be interesting to know what the moneys like and whether it reflects the hassle.

rob22888:
It’s not uncommon on here for any job that requires a bit of donkey work to get bad reviews…

Hard work it undoubtedly is compared to some other LGV work, but that isn’t the problem. Hard work is no problem at all. It is all the silly problems which are out of your hands which can make life a real bore. For me, incompetence and poor management really grind my gears, especially when it is so obviously clear what could be done to improve things, though it is unabatedly clear that management rarely listen to drivers.

Sadly, Rob, the money is for monkeys, probably looking at £390 take home (50 hours ish). For me it is my first LGV job, hopefully for a couple of weeks before something better comes along. Interview at Muller-Wiseman next week, I wonder what they pay? Still holding out for Culina and Gregory though.

Im working at the saltash depot all this week through agency, have been there on and off for last year.

Its a marmite job really, but it seams most who moan about it dont like the “work” side of it. You have between 5-10 drop per day depending how far you are from the depot it seams, i have been doing the cornwall coast right down to lands end this week in the sun its been great.

yes the cages can be heavy, but it takes 2 mins to half it into another one rather than spend 10 mins fighting a heavy one to the store. As with any jobs some drops are bad some are good. but like i said a min ago if its a bad drop and a struggle just break the cage down a bit. most places are friendly, will chat to you, give you tea or coffee and help you. the odd one or two will just leave you two it or stand and watch ticking it off the list as it comes in.

Its not that bad of a gig to be honest, once you do it a few times and know the routine and how too tame the cages its easy.

always back in the yard by 3-4 at latest, take home (as in in my pocket) £500 a week easily

m_attt:
Im working at the saltash depot all this week through agency, have been there on and off for last year.

Its a marmite job really, but it seams most who moan about it dont like the “work” side of it. You have between 5-10 drop per day depending how far you are from the depot it seams, i have been doing the cornwall coast right down to lands end this week in the sun its been great.

I’m not work shy and if I only had 5-10 drops a day i’d still be there, I had 20-30 drops a day and plenty of handball to go with it.

Bloody hell - I don’t think I’ve done 30 drops this month!!

m_attt:

You have between 5-10 drop per day.

always back in the yard by 3-4 at latest, take home (as in in my pocket) £500 a week easily

I think I need to move even further west…more money less work, all that seems to be how this driving business operates :laughing:

Should sleep now, need to be up at 3.30…grim

jonesy1985:

rob22888:
It’s not uncommon on here for any job that requires a bit of donkey work to get bad reviews…

Sadly, Rob, the money is for monkeys, probably looking at £390 take home (50 hours ish). For me it is my first LGV job, hopefully for a couple of weeks before something better comes along. Interview at Muller-Wiseman next week, I wonder what they pay? Still holding out for Culina and Gregory though.

Wisemans is 8.61 for class 2, 9.07 class 1 days. +23% nights. Time and a half after 39 hours and sat, double on Sunday. Pretty good but hours can be lacking sometimes. I’m happy there though having found other grass not to be greener.

Ps. You can do a lot worse than 390 take home for class 2 work.

jobseeker:
I’m not work shy and if I only had 5-10 drops a day i’d still be there, I had 20-30 drops a day and plenty of handball to go with it.

20-30 drops■■? really. you must only be dropping 1/4 to 1/2 a cage at each place then or do you keep going back to the depot and reloading as 10 - 12 drops has the lorry’s rammed. and thats only 1-3 cages per drop