Palmer and Harvey

Got a job there tomorrow, anyone got expierience of these guys or what to expect? Any tips? Cheers

drummerkev:
Got a job there tomorrow, anyone got expierience of these guys or what to expect? Any tips? Cheers

goooooooooooooood luck! :open_mouth: :unamused: :sunglasses:

Which depot?

The couple of times I have been into P&H Bristol, they have been helpful. You get put in a holding bay and called when they are ready for you. Then they either side tip you in the yard or you back onto a bay and let them do their thing.

Working out of warrington, not dropping to them buddy, will be out doing delieveries for them.

Don’t know what they are like to drive for. But I’m sure you’ll do better than the idiot that cut me up in one of their puddle jumpers last year :slight_smile:

Multi - Drop, usually 10 -20 drops, cages,…ambient, chilled, & frozen…

Cages with pop & Alcohol are heavy… sometimes have to split the cages to wheel them to awkward drops.

I would imagine its similar to what I do for 3663 lots of heavy lifting,caged product and plenty of handball into small shops and garage forecourts.
Will definitely keep you fit and will give you a lot of practise manoeuvring into small loading bays etc…
You will either love it or loathe it,multidrop isn’t for everyone. I love the challenge everyday :wink:

There will be plenty on here who will slate it and say they wouldn’t do it,but generally the money is good and your home every night, just that you will know you have done a days work haha!
Good luck :sunglasses:

Similar to what I have been doing then other than the fact itll be to stores not houses!

I have heard a couple of horror sotries though which concerns me a little in reguards to the ■■■■ and booze being half inched.

Hi Drummerkev. Although I haven’t worked for them, I know people that have. As said above there will be lots of handballing to forecourts, corner shops and supermarkets. I think they take security seriously as you will have a lot of cigarettes on the truck. Mate of mine was doing agency work out of Brandon depot and had to do a two day induction before he could go out! Multi drop is marmite work. Personally I like it, did 9 years for Dbc before they went under and now work for Brakes. Good luck, hope it goes well.

Haha. I did warehouse picking 15 years ago at Brandon Depot. You had to be searched on the way out. Cameras all over the place.

Best of luck with it mate.

mattyboy:
Hi Drummerkev. Although I haven’t worked for them, I know people that have. As said above there will be lots of handballing to forecourts, corner shops and supermarkets. I think they take security seriously as you will have a lot of cigarettes on the truck. Mate of mine was doing agency work out of Brandon depot and had to do a two day induction before he could go out! Multi drop is marmite work. Personally I like it, did 9 years for Dbc before they went under and now work for Brakes. Good luck, hope it goes well.

hey mattyboy,how you gettin on with brakes? i turned down a night shift trunking job running out of a satalite depot near ripon a few years ago now and it was exceptional money even back then,i often regret not accepting it.

I worked for them on Agency at Snodland a while ago. The job involved 10 to 15 drops to small shops and petrol stations, lugging heavy/badly loaded cages and unloading them into the stores with little or no help from the shop owner/assistant. Also you had to check everything off on a list/delivery note which was a pain if you had a large number of individual items (200 plus sometimes).

Had to keep one eye on the shopkeeper at all times because they could make an item ‘disappear’ as you were unloading, meaning they didn’t have to pay for it, also watch the ones that are too helpful, don’t let them get in the back of the truck to ‘help’. I had this done to me, delivered to a small shop in Essex, bloke more then happy to help seeing as I was a newbie, or so I thought. Two drops later and found a load of cigarettes were missing, nothing could be proved either way and because of that I couldn’t work for them again.

That was my experience, maybe if I had stayed abit longer it probrably would’ve got easier the more experience I got. Job was 5am start and job and knock, some guys were back and finished at twelve most days, those were the ones who had been there the longest, knew the job inside out. I went out with one on my induction (two days) first thing he did was pull over and swap round all the cages, just ignored the run order as he knew where and when to go at the right time. We went up to London and I couldn’t tell you half the places where we went but he had done the same run for 14 years and knew it inside out.

A few years ago i did a week on agency.Started with 6 drops and got more and more each day and further distance.Because of the booze and cigs the back door had an automatic lock with a tag attached to the key ring.At one drop I had to split a cage as it was too heavy to get into the shop.Somehow I managed to drop the keys in the back of the truck.I then closed the back door.When I came back I realised I was locked out.I had to call the depot which was sixty miles away.It was about lunchtime when I called and someone came out with spare keys at about 3pm.I still had about four drops left.The guy that came out asked if I was going to finish the run to which I replied in the negative. I then phoned the agency I was working for and said I wanted class 1 work as I could get more money for a lot less work.I have never done this type of work again and have respect to those who do it full time.

Not worked for them, but observing them, many don’t like parking near goods in but prefer to park on the fuel pumps. They then get quite annoyed when you pull up close behind to refuel and they can’t use the tailgate.
…If you like tatty looking Ivecos, you’ll love it there.:wink:

There’s a P&H near here, (must be the one Grayham talks of) but their pay shuts them out of my lower limit, so I have never worked there. :grimacing:
That said, I’ve heard there’s a lot of running up and down stairs in places like pubs and ferries involved, where you can expect bugger-all help from the staff there.

Very much a job for the keep-fit enthusiast, or at least the younger man I thinks. :blush: :wink:

Any ideas what their full timers get paid?

The Coventry depot is known as Polska+Harvey, if you know what I mean :wink:

The lads I`ve met whilst on Tosco are young and enthusiastic, good place to gain experience IMO :astonished:

wiggy:
A few years ago i did a week on agency.Started with 6 drops and got more and more each day and further distance.Because of the booze and cigs the back door had an automatic lock with a tag attached to the key ring.At one drop I had to split a cage as it was too heavy to get into the shop.Somehow I managed to drop the keys in the back of the truck.I then closed the back door.When I came back I realised I was locked out.I had to call the depot which was sixty miles away.It was about lunchtime when I called and someone came out with spare keys at about 3pm.I still had about four drops left.The guy that came out asked if I was going to finish the run to which I replied in the negative. I then phoned the agency I was working for and said I wanted class 1 work as I could get more money for a lot less work.I have never done this type of work again and have respect to those who do it full time.

lol, thought that sorta ■■■■ only happened to me.

Yeh, know what you mean.

There was a time that getting a job that involved more money for less work was considered a “cushy number”.
Nowdays, you’re some kind of scrounger if you don’t put both your hands up for offers of 84 hour weeks near minimum wage with running around with full-BFT weight gear under your arm. :open_mouth:

The worst upset of the “losing keys” kind I’ve ever had, was leaving my carkeys in a tractor by mistake, then unexpectedly getting asked to swap tractors at the hub, and by the time I realised my mistake, the keys were on their way to a depot at Exeter, which ain’t exactly across the street from me. :blush:

worked at snodland depot quite a few years ago on the agency, no training no nothing, just given keys, go out on run and see five rigids turn up at the same garage, pay was crap, and yes the cages are heavy with very little help, they had a very high staff turn over. refuesed to ever work for them again.the pay wasnt worth the risk of getting a knife pulled on you