Palmer and Harvey Snodland

Evening all,

Does anyone here work at above as a driver ?
If so can you shed some light on hours .i.e Mon - Fri, Take home pay and is it weekly and what are they like to work for nowadays.

The reason I ask is I done some work there many years ago through an agency and due to a change in my circumstances I am looking to get back in to Hgv work ASAP and want something permanent for now and they are advertising and £26K Basic is proving hard to ignore.

Thanks in advance also Brakes nowadays

I have worked at the snodland depot. You’ll start between 5 - 06:30 and will be delivering ambient foods to costcutters, shell and esso garages and occasionally cigarettes to tesco expresses.

cages are heavy but you often get given a drivers mate. permanent members of staff are usually done by between 12 - 14:30.

they do deliver on saturdays but not many vehicles seem to leave the yard so I think it’ll be limited deliveries.

at costcutter stores you are required to check off a lot of the stock when you get to the destination. This is mainly because the shop owners have a tendency to miscount to their benefit.

it;s quite a crap job the first few months but once you get on a regular route things get easier. Brakes pay in the region of £29,000 and there is less change of getting robbed by gypsies which seems to happen uite a lot at P&H

both are pretty crap but the start times are not too bad and the money quite good.

any more questions please feel free to ask.

Hi Jonny,

Thanks for the reply mate, Can you tell me is it weekly or monthly pay, Do you get any training and I believe it’s better if you can get on chilled out of Maidstone depot, Any preferences ?

Thanks in advance for help I will actually take a step back if I do this but fed up with empty agency promises and need regular well paid work at moment.

ruddio:
Hi Jonny,

Thanks for the reply mate, Can you tell me is it weekly or monthly pay, Do you get any training and I believe it’s better if you can get on chilled out of Maidstone depot, Any preferences ?

Thanks in advance for help I will actually take a step back if I do this but fed up with empty agency promises and need regular well paid work at moment.

I did almost full time at the chilled in Aylesford when on Agency (SMS they were spot on.)The work was similar to Snodland except the cages generally weren’t so heavy unless you got one for of milk, we generally did the same stores. I got two days training though the first was unpaid that may be different with a full time member of staff. Occasionally double manned, and sometimes sent out in a sprinter van which was a pita.

ruddio:
Hi Jonny,

I’m not sure about the pay as I work via an agency SMS who are mentioned above (and I agree, one of the few decent ones)

I work out of the aylesford/maidstone depot now which is certainly easier work, a mix of frozen and chilled.

You’ll mostly be driving 12 1/2 tonne vehicles as that is what’s used for costcutters, esso etc.

The majority of tescos express work is done by agency drivers and the routes tend to be 10-12 hours.

You’ll get a decent amount of training if you’re full time. Although a few days is probably enough.

Last time they offered me a job it was either five days or 48 hours over 4.

Not a bad job when you get use to it, you won’t have the transport office on your back which is always a bonus. I’d certainly choose Aylesford over Snodland

Thanks again for replies.
I might contact SMS, Do they have regular agency work out of Aylesford do you know or is it hit and miss ?

ruddio:
Thanks again for replies.
I might contact SMS, Do they have regular agency work out of Aylesford do you know or is it hit and miss ?

I would certainly recommend them. I left them last summer because I wanted class 1 work, and it was regular work I was probably averaging 4 days a week at P&H though they normally had other work on the other days.