Pallets

Do companies charge if pallets are not returned/exchanged? I know plastics are charged for (although I’d happily throw them off the side, bloody things), but always wondered why some firms wont exchange (and some get upset when you ask). We’re told not to bring back the Cheps and nobody is ever really bothered about Euros.
Some workmates of mine will go hunting for pallets to take back, to the point they will handball off say 20 bags off an old stack to get to the pallet. Personally if it isn’t left for me or has bags still on it, it stays. Less stacking and strapping for me. :sunglasses:

I don’t know if they get charged but you can get up to 3 quid for a good euro pallet.
Selling pallets can be quite a good earner if the wagon doesn’t have a tracker or the boss doesn’t give a ■■■■/gets a cut.

jobseeker:
I don’t know if they get charged but you can get up to 3 quid for a good euro pallet.
Selling pallets can be quite a good earner if the wagon doesn’t have a tracker or the boss doesn’t give a [zb]/gets a cut.

Can you still get ££££ cash for pallets or do they bacs your £3 to your account like the scrap yard ?!!!
Jim

Pallets will always be cash shag.

Blue CHEP pallets are basically rented, hence it’s important to get receipts for them if not exchanged, & pallet companies won’t deal in them because CHEP get a bit funny if they find them being used elsewhere. Can run into quite big money as well - Walkers crisps found that out to their cost some years ago and they had a crackdown on making sure every pallet was accounted for.

Pallets are big business, wish we were allowed to ‘lose’ them, we have to take our Euros back, I know some lads who don’t and have pocketed well over £100 a couple of times a week, thing is if they get caught there going to get sacked and at worst sacked and prosecuted for theft, not only losing a job that pays between £500-£600 in the bank a week, but who’s going to take you on after that!

I used to regularly sell pallets to a guy just outside Swindon. Boss didn’t mind. He preferred us to return to yard empty. And when pallets built up in yard they would ■■■■ off Herb who would set fire to them. So on Quiet days if the yard had loads of pallets, I would take them away as well.

tallyman:
Blue CHEP pallets are basically rented, hence it’s important to get receipts for them if not exchanged, & pallet companies won’t deal in them because CHEP get a bit funny if they find them being used elsewhere. Can run into quite big money as well - Walkers crisps found that out to their cost some years ago and they had a crackdown on making sure every pallet was accounted for.

How do chep keep tabs on all their pallets it impossible,think of the unlikely places you see the odd blue pallet,they must loose or cant account for thousands,theres a rough eastate near me and a bloke has all his fencing made with um ,he hasent even painted um :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

seth 70:

tallyman:

How do chep keep tabs on all their pallets it impossible,think of the unlikely places you see the odd blue pallet,they must loose or cant account for thousands,theres a rough eastate near me and a bloke has all his fencing made with um ,he hasent even painted um :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

He may have a blue “CHEP” shed up in the garden next week or “CHEP” decking for the summer bbq’s :wink: :smiley:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

seth 70:

tallyman:

He may have a blue “CHEP” shed up in the garden next week or “CHEP” decking for the summer bbq’s :wink: :smiley:

It wouldnt surprise me one bit m8 :wink:

Really annoys me when our mill staff don’t check or do something about nails sticking through pallets before they load the bags onto them. Well they do, they put a sheet of that brown bitumen paper stuff on it. That’ll work with 1t of flour bearing down onto it. :unamused:

A company rents a certain amount of pallets, and expects them to be returned and accounted for, CHEP keep a computer record of how many pallets a company has in his possession, and they do spot checks, so if a company has more than he pays for he is fined, the majority of pallets are delivered and collected by CHEP which keeps a more detailed check on what a customer has, and also i believe the drivers count those in the yard too in some instances. Red pallets are delivered and collected FOC, but thats why its very important to collect a pallet note on delivery as some companies do not return pallets but book them in with CHEP.

seth 70:

tallyman:

That’s why the receipts are important & why you see full loads of blue pallets being collected - it’s big money involved, we were told the bill that Walkers were presented with was in the £100,000+ mark, hence their desire to make sure they don’t lose any now.

Muckaway:
Really annoys me when our mill staff don’t check or do something about nails sticking through pallets before they load the bags onto them. Well they do, they put a sheet of that brown bitumen paper stuff on it. That’ll work with 1t of flour bearing down onto it. :unamused:

When you get to the bottom layers, DONT drag the bags flat & slide them to the edge even on plastic pallets. Even with 1T bearing down its still unlikely the bag will be punctured. I try to lift them up and only drag the bottom to minimise the weight bearing down on the pallet and any possible nails, a lot of the time Ill get on the back & handball them onto the truck bed 6 high, this enables me to slide them 2 or 3 at a time onto my shoulder at shoulder height with my back to the bed, using my legs to adjust my level, then slide them onto my shoulder. and with a 1 tonne 65 bag pallet Ill break it half way down into 6 high stacks along the side of the truck bed, the other 30+ I can slide over onto my shoulder. The loaders generally know which side of the truck the pallet need to be for a specific customer, so theres very little handball across the back, so long as you pull in at the right end of the street

Btw did you know the mills charge the customer £75 deposit for each plastic pallet? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I heard about plastic charges, some of our customers have 10 or more outstanding but will only give back what you give them. Weird.
I do exactly as you do re bags, we’ve had a run of crap pallets recently, the pick/packers must see the nails and broken struts though?

Funny enough I’ve been pimped out to LPR (Le Pallette Rouge) for a fortnight, running around with new ones and picking up used ones for refurb.

I think the Chep system changed last year as we no longer get receipts or exchanges when we deliver. I did hear our ex TM say that our depot alone had to pay Chep somewhere in the region of £80k per annum for lost pallets.

Muckaway:
I heard about plastic charges, some of our customers have 10 or more outstanding but will only give back what you give them. Weird.
I do exactly as you do re bags, we’ve had a run of crap pallets recently, the pick/packers must see the nails and broken struts though?

full pallets are machine packed/stacked, its only the part pallets that may be hand stacked, even then its likely theyll strip a pallet down to the required quantity rather than build it up, as hand stacked pallets dont travel well

peirre:

Muckaway:

full pallets are machine packed/stacked, its only the part pallets that may be hand stacked, even then its likely theyll strip a pallet down to the required quantity rather than build it up, as hand stacked pallets dont travel well

I meant whoever puts the pallet under the packing plant doesn’t check them first. Agree about the hand stacked ones not travelling well, they’re normally the ones that get split. Unfortunately we have a lot of drops where they’ll order a bit of everything so they end up being hand picked.