Pallet Weight

Does anyone know if there is a maximum permitted weight for one man to manouver with a pallet truck. Today i had one that weighed 800 kg and really struggled to move it. When i got it onto the tail lift i nearly lost it over the side. When i rang the firm i was working for all they could say was our own drivers regulary move weight above that. I for one think that those sort ofweights are dangerous.

dunno about Max weight.
there is suposed to be a SWL sticker on most hand barrows
getting em moving is easy enough, its stopping em quickly thats the worry :open_mouth:
but when I worked in wincantons chiller warehouse here as a picker, we used to pull that sort of weight around for 10hrs a shift, especially pallets of those wonderful safeway bone in roast Hams.
I tell ya, what a way to work off a weekends refreshment activities, there wasn`t many pies between the pickers

wideload:
When i rang the firm i was working for all they could say was our own drivers regulary move weight above that

I would certainly agree with that statement, im not the strongest bloke in the world but when i was on palletforce i regularly had to shift 1300kg cheps by tail lift with a pallet truck :imp: :imp: :imp: and now thats probably why my back is [zb]ed :imp: :imp: :imp:

simon

Wideload,
When it comes to lifting and moving things there is nothing laid down in tablets of stone, it all comes down to the individual if you can’t safely lift or move it you get assistance, On my last job the company thought they could get away with sticking a label on heavy items saying ‘Assisted lift required’, but it will be your companies responsibility to provide the labour to assist in unloading if they slap a label on their goods saying the above. Also make sure that if you do need help in unloading that the company are aware that someone other than yourself will be in the back with you helping just for the insurance side of things and at the end of the day don’t struggle take it back, after all it is you who will be off work with that bad back.

Last time I was in Asda, they’d brought in a 1500 kg limit for pallets (they’re mostly pumped to the back of the trailer and then forked off). 1000-1500 kg is not an unusual pallet weight, and can be moved reasonably easily depending on the quality of the pump truck and, more importantly, the surface that it’s running on. You can move a lot more weight on a nice smooth warehouse floor than the wooden floor of an old trailer which is covered with splinters.

Incidentally, I was using a pump truck yesterday with a sticker on it saying “SWL 2300 kg”. I’m not sure I’d attempt to move 2.3 tonnes with a pump truck…

if there difficult to move ask for help
be polite its a health and saftey issue, your well being is more important than delivering their goods
…upto to a tonne should in normal circumstances should be easy enough but is the pump truck in A! condition is the load balanced etc

When I worked for Baylis I used to tip at that lovely place :wink: Netto’s at South Elmsall. My trailer was over 15ft high so I could only use bays 44 or 45 right at the end. Anyway, the trailer couldn’t be lowered at the back therefore the ramp was at a hell of an angle and when you were barrowing out pallets of baked beans (not light by any means) it was quite astruggle to hold on to them, but if you let go you knew that they would stop eventually :laughing: Did that a few times but never could get myself banned from there :frowning:

wideload:
Does anyone know if there is a maximum permitted weight for one man to manouver with a pallet truck. Today i had one that weighed 800 kg and really struggled to move it. When i got it onto the tail lift i nearly lost it over the side. When i rang the firm i was working for all they could say was our own drivers regulary move weight above that. I for one think that those sort ofweights are dangerous.

800kg? Piffle. AS manyt on here will confirm, I’m the first to jump on a company when they say something wrong. I’m afraid that this time though, they’re right.

At Express Dairies, 1100kg Pallecons are the order of the day. At Hygena, the worst I did was 1800kg pallets. You really knew you were moving those. A tonne a pallet is the usual maximum and easily manageable.

If you’re having trouble with an 800kg pallet you need to look at how you’re doing it as you’re doing something wrong.

penfold:
When I worked for Baylis I used to tip at that lovely place :wink: Netto’s at South Elmsall. :frowning:

Small world. I used to do a fair bit of agency work at Baylis, Goole. Used to do the night trunk alot. Lovely job.

In my training from a couple of employers, it’s always been moving a pallet on a level floor isnt a problem. But if you go on an uneven or sloped surface you should ask for help.

So can depend on how the wagon is parked, if it’s on a hill or somehing then get help if you dont think you can manage it or more importantly cant stop it. A runaway pallet truck with a ton on it is worse than being hit by a car.

800kg, on a fairly level surface with a pallet truck in good nick should be heavy but ok though, anything over the ton it starts to push it a little.

Also there’s nothing wrong in admitting you’re not as strong as the next man. Some people are just stronger than others, everyone is different. Also if you are moving that kind of weight all day your body soon builds up for it.

dennisw1:
In my training from a couple of employers, it’s always been moving a pallet on a level floor isnt a problem. But if you go on an uneven or sloped surface you should ask for help.

Very true, it’s easy moving any pallet on a flat, smooth warehouse floor but even the slightest slope or uneven surface (as mentioned) can sometimes make them literally immovable without assitance.

It’s the tail-lift that’s the killer - did a stint shifting pallets of paper, regularly 750 - 1000kg - it’s having to get it over the bounce of the lift & then stop & turn b4 it goes over the edge - takes a bit of guts the 1st few times. Funniest time is when you don’t realise they haven’t put the lift back up again - straight off the back with £1,000+ worth of high quality paper!! Anyone else know Beswicks in Northampton & Leicester?

tallyman:
It’s the tail-lift that’s the killer - did a stint shifting pallets of paper, regularly 750 - 1000kg - it’s having to get it over the bounce of the lift & then stop & turn b4 it goes over the edge - takes a bit of guts the 1st few times.

I know exactly what your saying here and this is what happens when the tai lift cant take the weight :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

1 ton pallet of baking foil

And to say it frightened the bejusus out of me is an understatement :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

simon

Looks like crappy welding and rust caused that to me.

One question though, with that dock leveler there is a gap underneath it, most of them seem to have these, they normall fill up with litter. Is that so you can drop the tail lift down and back under it so you can use the leveler? :question:

Yes, but the tail lift on this truck was to long and so the dock leveler wouldnt reach the back of the truck

simon

dennisw1:
Looks like crappy welding and rust caused that to me.

One question though, with that dock leveler there is a gap underneath it, most of them seem to have these, they normall fill up with litter. Is that so you can drop the tail lift down and back under it so you can use the leveler? :question:

looking at that weld,it looks like it has been cracked for some time as it’s rusty it should have ben picked up by the fitters when it was in for service.Bad servicing and bad fitment,a bodge job…

and just a warning,you should never weld to a chassis rail as it is pre-stressed steel and will weaken

Under H&S regs the individual is responsible for their own welfare, in other words if you feel your at risk, dont do it simple as that

As for seek assistance labels

I delivered for Henderson Garage Doors, each door had a sticker saying seek assistance when lifting, TDG Logistics, my employers, had to pay out 2500 pounds when I injured myself lifting one to the back doors of the truck on my own, the reason they lost their case was simply the fact the label advised that the weight was too heavy for one person to lift and actually proved them negligent in not supplying assistance, the customers were not insured to climb onto the vehicle therefore a second man should of been supplied by TDG or Hendersons, all trucks are now operated by Stillers but have the Mounties fitted on the back for off loading.

The solicitors for the URTU who handled my case were Hugh Joseph and Co and did an excellent job in proving negligence.

I wonder when Simons tail lift was last tested? Did it get repaired?

Am I right in thinking the lifts have to be tested and certified annually, though I bet a lot dont get tested.

I was driving for Municipal Hire Services once and their wheelchair buses were being tested one day.

Calv

Calv:
I wonder when Simons tail lift was last tested? Did it get repaired?

Am I right in thinking the lifts have to be tested and certified annually, though I bet a lot dont get tested.

I was thinking the same, how could that go unnoticed?

Yes, but the tail lift on this truck was to long and so the dock leveler wouldnt reach the back of the truck

So that is what the gaps for then? i was only guessing