Pallet truck weight limit

Just wondering if there is a maximum weight a pallet can be to be moved manually on a pallet truck. I know most tail lifts can take 1 ton. But few days ago I had a pallet which dropped the tail liftwhilst on it. This week I’ve had loads of pallets saying 1000kg but def been more as impossible to move on flat ground. And work just doesn’t seem bothered but as on Thursday I feel from lorry because a pallet wouldn’t sot in going all guns blazing Monday morning when I know limit weight

Should say on them, usually around 2t/2.5t.

and if its on GKN’s this may help
chep.com/pallets/wooden-pall … x-1000-mm/

remember the golden rule if you feel its to heavy to move on your own DONT

They average around 2500kg loads, you could cheat and use a citi truck :laughing:

wonder what the distance would be on that ( road legal :wink: :wink: )

We sell them I have had the demonstrator on and off my wagon the last few months lol.
The battery would last 8 hours with average to light use I reckon but not heavy usage :wink:

That looks brilliant be great for me as most of my drops recently have had to walk for ages with heavy pallets

Pjelle:
Just wondering if there is a maximum weight a pallet can be to be moved manually on a pallet truck. I know most tail lifts can take 1 ton. But few days ago I had a pallet which dropped the tail liftwhilst on it. This week I’ve had loads of pallets saying 1000kg but def been more as impossible to move on flat ground. And work just doesn’t seem bothered but as on Thursday I feel from lorry because a pallet wouldn’t sot in going all guns blazing Monday morning when I know limit weight

what you can handle with yours and others safety in mind dependent on ground to be covered etc

if it looks or feels unsafe done move it get a forkie to shift it

Max design weight varies and should be clearly displayed and visible. They also come under MHE regs and therefore should also be regularly inspected with sticker showing the last inspection date.

I know of certain low cost operations that don’t feel that its necessary to check them at least annually and use cooking oil to keep them topped up and working!!

Pjelle:
That looks brilliant be great for me as most of my drops recently have had to walk for ages with heavy pallets

I was thinking more like popping into town shopping :wink:

We had one of they citi trucks from lansing /linde with a view to going on trucks but the H&S guy wouldn’t allow it as we wasn’t trained!!!
Ok to pull one ton loads about but not press a button!

Deleted. That was embarrassing even for me.

Pjelle:

Looks like the manual handling course your employer should of sent you on was no good. Along with his instruction of how to safely use the equiptment provided to you. :smiley:
Just have a guess at it all like everyone here is doing. :smiley:

As posted above, the max weight must be on the manufacturer’s plate but this is the maximum safe working load that the truck can lift. It should not be taken as a safe load for the operator to transport. That silly H&S training will tell you all about maximum weights for pulling, pushing and braking, as well as the attitude of the vehicle it’s operating on and the allowances made for any tail lift. Your own discretion will tell you whether or not the ground is suitable for your particular pallet truck- in my experience they don’t work at all well on surfaces less smooth than a skating rink.
As for the Citi truck, they look a lot more handy than the usual powered pallet truck.

From working in a warehouse for most of my life I would never expect a driver to load anything more than 400-500kg onto a trailer himself… depends what it is though if its a massive steel heavy cage the size of the thing it itself will gather its own momentum upon being moved but smaller wooden cases with pallets on the bottom they are right lumps and should be forklifted on/off. Can’t do your lower back or knees any good dragging 1000 kilo of goods around al day long :confused:

Hiya …although pump trucks/ coolies call them what you want. the maximum you should pull is 600kgs.
so why do they make pump trucks that lift 2.5 tons…and tail lifts that are maxed at one tonne.
so much for health and saftey…i was told only today of a chap who had a pallet of floor tiles. this chap
didn’t have the sence to split the load. he heaved this pallet (2 tons) with a pallet truck onto his tail lift,
the tail lift give way and the pallet of tile crashed to the ground. two thirds of the boxes was smashed.
have some drivers got no sence why didn’t he split the pallet into two.it would have been quicker and less
of a claim.
John

Pjelle:

How do you mean dropped the tail-lift, there should be a load safety device to prevent this?

Usually column tail-lift on a 7.5t will be rated 1t on an 18t 1.5t and quite a few cantilever lifts are 2t but load centre dependent.

You can load and unload very heavy pallets with a pump truck and tail-lift but it’s mostly much more about technique and setting yourself up right to start than physical strength.

forkliftbriefing.co.uk/?A=ST&E=1201&Z=1302. :wink:

Anything more than 1000kg is very difficult to move on the load bed of my truck - I’m pretty sure some stuff (tiles, paving slabs etc) are way over that. I’ve had one or two pallets that two of us can’t shift.

600kg is sensible, easy to work with - I sometimes think there ought to be a max weight for non-powered pump trucks.

My truck that I use is rated at 2.5t - but with that on it, it wouldn’t be going anywhere :laughing: :laughing:

The Maximum weight is what You can handle safely with out knocking your back out, if its too heavy, it will have to be broken down or get someone to help push it.

We don’t carry pallet trucks on the trailers/general haulage but if I use one I usually drive it, so if I get help most of my effort goes into the steering :wink: (the customer can do the pushing, he ordered the bloody stuff, so he can take the bloody stuff off) also make sure the suspension is set right so you can use gravity to your advantage.

As far as I’m concerned- you shouldn’t have to be Sweating Buckets, Risking a Heart Attack or Knackered Back when a bit of common sense helps a lot. :wink:

Problem is, now days, everyone is in too much of a hurry (thats when accidents happen !) :cry: