Pallet track hub

Hi all,
I might have the chance of getting my first class 1 job doing a night trunk to the pallet track hub , Wolverhampton. Any tips from drivers that go there?
Is there room for a newbie to reverse ! ■■

Thanks

Lee

You don’t normally reverse at hubs, open curtains in the queue, drive in, sit in passenger seat, you get tipped, drive out - if you’re being loaded you’ll then go to another shed and drive in, sit in passenger seat, drive out to gantry to do straps and curtains and go home.

Never be afraid of asking for guidance in a RDC off other drivers!

When I first started on artics reversing between two artics parked up with drivers in the cab was always a bit daunting.

I would always get myself in a position where the trailer was almost level with said trucks and get out, I would approach the artic diver and explain, I had only just passed my test and just blow the horn if I getting to close to anything.

More than often the driver would get out and actually guide, give advice and watch me In.

Never ever was I told to “to get lost”

Although what has already been said, pallet express are usually are side tips in wide open spaces.

waynedl:
You don’t normally reverse at hubs, open curtains in the queue, drive in, sit in passenger seat, you get tipped, drive out - if you’re being loaded you’ll then go to another shed and drive in, sit in passenger seat, drive out to gantry to do straps and curtains and go home.

Hope he doesn’t have to go to the ‘National Sortation Centre’ up on Cannock Lakeside and arrives late then!

Actrosman:
Hope he doesn’t have to go to the ‘National Sortation Centre’ up on Cannock Lakeside and arrives late then!

Can we take that one hub as normal then?

Or can we say the majority of RDCs & Hubs are a suitable enviroment to work in, but you may get a couple which are in adequate.

Why Try and scaremonger?

Thanks for the info Waynedl, that might be the reason they are willing to give me a start,ease me in with trunking then move onto days/tramping.

Good tips and advice chester , thank you. Certainly will be asking for help if Im not sure to start with. I suppose its just pratice and it will become second nature.

Horrible when you pass and fear reversing!!
You’ll get there lad just take your time and when it becomes second nature its a piece of ■■■■!!

waynedl:

Bugger - I’ve been doing it wrong for 10 years :laughing: :laughing: At Palletline all have to reverse onto the loading bays (plenty of room though) and last time I was at Pallex it was the same.

FIRSTLY, HARD HAT AND HI VIZ AND SAFETY SHOES/BOOTS…at Pallet Track hub, you drive in and go past gatehouse, (there wont be anyone in it) go round the back of the building and join either left or right lane of queue… just keep moving forward with the flow, loosen your straps, but don’t pull your curtains back till after you pass the cones… then pull them right back tight as you can and strap them secure, if you have a p.o.d. box give it to the guy who flies about on a little electric buggy… normally you then drive into the building, stop within the gantry while they scan your load… then just keep moving forward a bit at a time,once in the building DO NOT LEAVE THE CAB, the forkies will tip you each time you are stopped, there will be 2 stop boards in front of you while tipping… its a lot of stop/start … once you are empty drive out and park round the back till they call you back in for reload… the position for reload will depend on your depot number …once loaded forkies will give you the all clear to go forward to the out scan gantry, After you have been scanned park outside, fasten up and go into the portakabin next to the out gantry to sign for your load and collect your POD box., the only bit of reversing will be when you park up after tipping and loading… … oh, there’s a good butty van there til about midnight…good luck

Oh dear Chester…seems that there are ‘others’ that have been to these hubs where you have to do a little bit more than simply drive through and open the curtains…and why is it scaremongering? Are you only capable of visiting such places? Come into our NDC anytime after 6/6:30am…that’s scaremongering!

Thanks iankav, yeah will be fine once i get into it and will be wondering what I was worried about!

Thanks for the detailed reply trukkertone ,very helpful.Doesn`t sound too bad …will definitely be checking out the butty van !!