Pallet Prices?

How much are these bits in services etc paying for pallets?

A pound or two each.

Been doing lidl tips lately but never take pallets back… Could be a good wee £30+ each time :smiley:

Stamp Euros (1200x800mm, EUR brand on block, heavy duty) I think we used to pay £1-1.50 if they were in half decent nick and £2 if they were clean/new looking, this is going back a while now so things may have changed, if they are broke they are a pain to repair.

Euro’s i used to get 2 quid , thats real euro pallets no the fake ones - yes there are fake ones :open_mouth: normal pallets/fake euro pallets a quid each.

Can’t sell cheps though.

My old job whenever i had a spare couple of hours i used to go and do a collection for a old pal in tradeston, take a full load of pallets up to the fruit market - split the coin 50-50. Good wee earner until his boss found out that you could make money on pallets and that scuppered that :imp:

Thats about 3 year ago at the pallet guy in the fruit market glasgow - it’ll be different prices at different places - but it could pay for a free lunch so you canny complain :grimacing:

merc0447:
Euro’s i used to get 2 quid , thats real euro pallets no the fake ones - yes there are fake ones :open_mouth: normal pallets/fake euro pallets a quid each.

Can’t sell cheps though.

My old job whenever i had a spare couple of hours i used to go and do a collection for a old pal in tradeston, take a full load of pallets up to the fruit market - split the coin 50-50. Good wee earner until his boss found out that you could make money on pallets and that scuppered that :imp:

Thats about 3 year ago at the pallet guy in the fruit market glasgow - it’ll be different prices at different places - but it could pay for a free lunch so you canny complain :grimacing:

You can if you know where to go. :smiley: Good blue’s fetch a fiver each in W Yorks. Supermarket cages also fetch good money too… :smiley:

i was always told the blue plastic pallets our chemicals came on where worth a small fortune. whether that was to the company they belonged to or the re-sale price i dont know :exclamation: :neutral_face:

Ah! I remember the golden age of pallet currency :slight_smile:

Two worth mentioning,
Our yard was full of pallets,being a haulage and storage, general transport firm. there was always a big heap of 40X48 four way pallets that were the property of our customers. Every now and again we would send a full trailer back to each of our customers to balance the books so to speak.

Apparently a car pulled in the yard one day and a chap got out and was inspecting the pallet heap. The guvnor asked him who he was, and he replied that he worked for British Sugar, flashing his credentials as he did so. A phone call to British Sugar confirmed who he said he was, by then a British Sugar artic pulled in the yard and the chap was already pulling their marked ones out of the pile. Three weeks later aother bloke from British Sugar came in the yard and relieved us of yet another 80 or so pallets.

On another note we used to drop full loads at Boots Nottingham, they were always on euro’s and we never collected any. Nor did our customer want them back. One day after tipping at Beeston, Boots said I had to take them back as the empties were clogging up the slot for that supplier in their pallet bank. A quick call to the boss, who also didnt want to know as he had a reload for me.

‘What are they like says he? ‘oh crap ones, single trippers’ I said, knowing full well they were stamped Euros of the extremely heavy variety. ‘Can you get shot of them quick if you pick em up?’ says he, ‘Oh yes says I’ :wink: on went 200 euros that found a nice home in a pallet yard on the A1 not far from Colsterworth. At the time euros were fetching £2.50 each, the bloke in the pallet yard sent his mate to the bank, and gave me £500. I reloaded at Peterboro’ and got back in the yard where I gave my bloke £200, and told him thats what I got for them, he then gave me £50 for being honest :blush:

Same here, I used to make about £60 a week on white pallets back in the 1980s, the price for them has not increased at all since then. On more than one occasion I have been given a generous drink to take away pallets which were clogging up someone’s yard, and then flogged them up the road.

Anyone remember that bloke who set up some type of business watching drivers selling pallets and photographing them before contacting the driver’s employer and offering to sell the pics to him? Seems his business foundered when every haulier he phoned said “Yeah, we know. So what?” :wink:

Don’t mention bl**dy euro pallets to me. Use to tip holland and found a nice little job down to southern germany so that we could load muller yoghurts back. Thought we were having a right result until i got the bill for the pallets, about thirty thousand quid i think it was !.

I don’t know about stamped Euro pallets, but there was always a general understanding that white pallets were the property of whoever was in possession of them. I’ve worked for some of the meanest tightwads in the industry and none ever had a problem with drivers and the white pallet trade, most taking the view that it made up for the poor wages.

Plastic pallets are worth a fortune, £10 each is about the going rate round here! you’ve just got to know where to get rid of 'em!

Scarab:
Plastic pallets are worth a fortune, £10 each is about the going rate round here! you’ve just got to know where to get rid of 'em!

Dead right, I do some work for a haulier who has a contract with a company who hires these little buggers out, christ, I thought I was collecting on behalf on “Brinks Mat”.

EVERY collection / delivery is triple checked, and, you sign your life away if your count is wrong :open_mouth:

Mega bucks renting them out :bulb:

Harry Monk:
I don’t know about stamped Euro pallets, but there was always a general understanding that white pallets were the property of whoever was in possession of them. I’ve worked for some of the meanest tightwads in the industry and none ever had a problem with drivers and the white pallet trade, most taking the view that it made up for the poor wages.

I was always of the impression that if they gave you a ticket for the pallets you had to get it signed off the truck, but if they didn’t then they couldn’t prove you had them so you could sell them…We never wanted them when I was on haulage, so made sure we had papers for them so the company we delivered to couldn’t give us a load of empties

Harry Monk:

When I worked for Nightfreight it was like that, our boss was OK with us selling any buckshee pallets cos it saved him getting rid of them; but as usual there’s always one who gets greedy and spoils it.

We had one old driver who had a deal going with a pallet yard in Lincoln; always had half a dozen empty pallets on his truck (Bedford TL 7.5 tonner) one day he had a sizeable load of parcels and tried to leave some of it for another driver. Boss got involved, asked him in a reasonable manner to take his pallets off and put the load on. Driver refused saying they were his pallets. Boss replied fine, in that case you won’t mind me sending you a bill for using my truck to deliver them?

That of course was it, ruling came out shortly afterwards that pallets were company property and selling them was sackable.

A mate of mine came up with the best earner back in the 80’s. He was working as a temp for BRS at Melton Mowbray, on the Pedigree Petfoods job. They had an incentive whereby drivers were paid a few pence per pallet returned. Les went into Asfordby Storage (who did Pedigree’s warehousing) with a load of finished product, spotted a big pile of empty Pedigree pallets and told the FLT driver to load them on; 400 in total. Took them back to the factory and claimed the bonus. He got away with it about four times before someone twigged on! :smiley: