Paint Question

As the new truck I was hoping to buy this year is now a long way off I am considering refurbing my old wagon a bit. Nothing major, just a lick of paint on the chassis. The original paint is starting to flake in places and rust is starting to show through here and there. I won’t be doing it for at least a month or two as there is too much salt on the roads to make it worthwhile.

I just wondered if anyone could recommend somewhere fairly cheap for paint to do the chassis on a 6-wheeler tipper? A mate of mine will shot blast and paint it but I’ve got to supply the paint.

what do you call cheap■■? full chassis around 1k mark ish i would say,or there abouts in 1 pack

wouldn’t a 2-pack paint do a better job ?

no idea about cost though :blush:

you certainly need 2 pack for a long lasting decent job. Gwyn does an excellent job as he did my strato after that car ran into it.

Ive done 3 chassis (never again!! - Im still coughing up red!!) all in coach paint. It takes too long to go hard (up to 6 weeks) and wont stand a good steam cleaning.

Spraytec in sandycroft do a good job aswell. ask for dave and say I recomended them. 01244 520764.

I reckon £850 all in or £700 if you get it shotblasted first.

or keep it in your bank is a better Idea :wink:

dozer:
you certainly need 2 pack for a long lasting decent job. Gwyn does an excellent job as he did my strato after that car ran into it.

Ive done 3 chassis (never again!! - Im still coughing up red!!) all in coach paint. It takes too long to go hard (up to 6 weeks) and wont stand a good steam cleaning.

Spraytec in sandycroft do a good job aswell. ask for dave and say I recomended them. 01244 520764.

I’ll bare that in mind. I won’t pay that much, a mate of mine said he could probably shotblast it and paint it for 250-300quid but I’d have to supply the paint.

I’ll give it a think and I won’t touch it while its still salty on the roads.

Cheers for the advice, how work going Dozer? Have you heard about Alan in Hendre?

AT MY PLACE THAT WOULD COST 1800 QUID. HOW CAN YOU DO IT FOR 250 THINK I WOULD LEAVE FACTORY PAINT ON EVEN IF ROUGH WILL LAST LONGER THAN CHEAP PAINT.THE PRIMER AND PAINT WILL COST 700 QUID ON ITS OWN.

tin of gloss masking tape and some old newspaper and a couple of hours painting i will be spot on wont be long before its dirty again any way

Wire brush and a few big tins of matt black, you wouldn’t know if it was dirty or not then :wink: :wink: :wink:

Hammer you have a PM

little Elf:
Hammer you have a PM

Yes, I replied yesterday but it appears to have disappeared. I’ll send a reply now! :wink:

hammer:

dozer:

I’ll bare that in mind. I won’t pay that much, a mate of mine said he could probably shotblast it and paint it for 250-300quid but I’d have to supply the paint.

I’ll give it a think and I won’t touch it while its still salty on the roads.

Cheers for the advice, how work going Dozer? Have you heard about Alan in Hendre?

What is the story on Alan Hammer, i havent been in there for a while?

Jimmy, poor old Al hasn’t been to work since about November.

Something not right with his brain. Poor sods been in/out hospital. He’s home now but nobody knows whether he’s got to have an op or what. Nobody in Pant seems to know whats goin on. :confused:

Hendre is virtually mothballed apparently. I haven’t been in there since November, they sacked about 7 lads and they run with a staff of three lads at the moment apparently. :open_mouth:

Been in there today,Alans had an op last week,something to do with spinal fluid leaking into his brain the lads told me.He phoned them Monday to see if they were looking after his bridge,lol…
They said its going to be 4-6 months before hes anywhere near to going back to work

I hope he gets well soon, he is great fella, ive never seen him without a smile on his face, and he is always up for a laugh, its a shame most other weighbridge staff arent like him.

Hows tricks little elf, are you keeping going?

the company i work for has just had one spayed, from what i understand you can only paint a chassis with heat resistant paint don’t know if its true, but they sprayed ours with clear over base metallic and had to get heat resistance lacquer form Germany, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

little Elf:
Been in there today,Alans had an op last week,something to do with spinal fluid leaking into his brain the lads told me.He phoned them Monday to see if they were looking after his bridge,lol…
They said its going to be 4-6 months before hes anywhere near to going back to work

I guess thats some good news - at least they are talking about him actually getting back to work. Sounds like a bad thing to go through though, poor bloke.

He’s always been 100% fair with me and I hope he returns soon.