Paddies, jocks, taffies, and erm BEANS

Ok we all have nik names for one another, but why do the irish call the english.
BEANS■■?
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I was told it’s because we have beans with everything.
Well that’s very true i had beans with some more beans the other day.

The French call us Rostbifs (or Roast Beefs) something to do with Sunday Lunchtimes i gather

well thats something i didnt know that we were called beans by the irish.

you learn something new everyday on here :smiley:

The Germans have a nickname for us Brits, they call us “Inselaffen.”

Inselaffen = island monkeys (or island apes.)

Inselaffe is the singular form of that word, used by one of our members as his screen-name. :grimacing:

It’s usually beano rather than beans :wink:

Karl.:

Yeah, but why is that Karl, where does it come from?

I have heard it used but havent a clue as to why??

bullitt:

Karl.:

I’ve just spoken to a colleague from Ulster and he reckons that the Ulster folk call us “limeys” just as the Americans do.

His thoughts on ‘beanos’ is that it’s used by folks from the Irish Republic, but the use isn’t very widespread.

I had a look on wikipedia and a couple of websites that deal with slang words, but no joy I’m afraid. :frowning:

Somebody will be along soon with the right answer… :smiley:

I know the locals down the Falklands used to be referred to as Bennies, because, supposedly, a lot of them only had the intelligence of Benny from Emmerdale farm, but then a memo got sent round that anybody referring to them as bennies would be reprimanded so they were renamed stills.

When a senior officer asked why they were now called stills some smart arse replied

“because they are still Benny’s, it doesn’t matter how many memo’s you send out!”

I don’t know how true this is but it makes me laugh every time I hear about it!

i think we have some donkey wallopers on here :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Giblsa:
I know the locals down the Falklands used to be referred to as Bennies, because, supposedly, a lot of them only had the intelligence of Benny from Emmerdale farm, but then a memo got sent round that anybody referring to them as bennies would be reprimanded so they were renamed stills.

When a senior officer asked why they were now called stills some smart arse replied

“because they are still Benny’s, it doesn’t matter how many memo’s you send out!”

True story bud. mind you, any Crossroads fans will bay for your blood for saying he was in Emmerdale. :laughing:

Any monkey hangers about? :smiling_imp:

might be some Lobbygobblers hanging about :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

johnpirate:
Any monkey hangers about? :smiling_imp:

Why, is your Dad missing?

Is it only the British that call people from Holland Dutch ?
and if so - why??

My old Dutch
Meaning

An affectionate term for wife.

Origin

This is often cited as an example of Cockney rhyming slang. It is certainly a slang term that originated in London but isn’t strictly CRS, as Dutch, being short for duchess, is an abbreviation rather than a rhyme

Why is it The Netherlands but do we call them Dutch Why not Dutchland or Netherlands as it’s people?
In: Harmless Nonsense, Name Origins [Edit categories] [Edit]

[Edit]
The Netherlands was more like a discription of the country, “the lowlands” because a lot of the land is under sealevel, anyway the name stayed and became the official name of the country.
I don’t know why the dutch are called the dutch, because in The Netherlands we call ourselves “nederlanders” so Netherlanders.

Very long ago, there was a language in todays Netherlands that were called “netherlandic”. However, that language disappeared after a while and a new language was introduced, so they had to call it something different. But why they just didn’t name that language “netherlandic” as well is beyond my knowledge. So, instead, they named that language “dutch”. Where that name comes from I have no idea of though. But I think I’ve heard Germany and the Netherlands being reffered to as “Dutchlantis”. But that is just pure speculations, and I’m not even sure if Germany was counted in there or if it was the Netherlands and Belgium (and Luxemburg maybe). However, that should give it a little more colour.

To make it more confusing some people also use Holland instead of The Netherlands.

Yea but havent the Germans always been known as Deutch, as in the D sticker on the back . Thought it was only the Brits that called people from the Netherlands “Dutch”, if so wondered why?

Giblsa:

Gibsla, 11 out of 10 for that one. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
The South Africans used to call the Brits, ’ Salties ', after the salt tablets they were issued with by the army to help with dehydration. :wink:

dieseldave:

bullitt:

Karl.:

I’ve just spoken to a colleague from Ulster and he reckons that the Ulster folk call us “limeys” just as the Americans do.

His thoughts on ‘beanos’ is that it’s used by folks from the Irish Republic, but the use isn’t very widespread.

I had a look on wikipedia and a couple of websites that deal with slang words, but no joy I’m afraid. :frowning:

I used to work for infamous irish co. when fleet was all welsh now all commies but was told by irish drivers that england is reffered to as the bean cos english people have baked beans with everything!
local irish bars here on costa del sol advertise “english food beans with everything” :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

dieseldave:

bullitt:

Karl.:

:confused:

No mate, us northerners say “beano” or “bean” aswell, and it is relatively widespread.

It’s to do with how popular beans are in england, or “the bean” as its known.

:slight_smile: