P45

Has anyone else had their P45 held to ransom. I left my job about 3 weeks ago, after working 5 years for them. Ive just been informed that until I return my uniform, which I might add is faded and quite worn, I won’t be recieving my P45. Is it legal to withhold my P45 ?

cheers

Kneal:
Is it legal to withhold my P45 ?

No:

hmrc.gov.uk/working/forms/paye-forms.htm

Kneal:
Has anyone else had their P45 held to ransom. I left my job about 3 weeks ago, after working 5 years for them. Ive just been informed that until I return my uniform, which I might add is faded and quite worn, I won’t be recieving my P45. Is it legal to withhold my P45 ?

cheers

Totally not allowed…and you can get a copy anyway, dob them in to HMRC , they take a dim view of practices like that.

Get on to your nearest hmrc straight away, they will not be impressed to say the least.

Kneal:
Has anyone else had their P45 held to ransom. I left my job about 3 weeks ago, after working 5 years for them. Ive just been informed that until I return my uniform, which I might add is faded and quite worn, I won’t be recieving my P45. Is it legal to withhold my P45

Turn round to them the next time they speak to you and say “No problem, I’ll just complete a P46 at my new employer.” The only thing not getting a P45 from your employer does is mean you pay a bit more tax for a few weeks until your new employer gets your tax code from HMRC and then you’re refunded the overpayment.

I will add though that technically by not giving them their property back you’ve stolen it and should they decide to get uppity about it they are within their rights to phone the Police.

inform HMRC that you ex employer is withholding your p45. it could be they haven’t been paying your tax or stamp and if you drop that hint into the phone call they may as in the past look into their tax finances …

return uniform… get p45 end of. Whats the problem?? If they then refuse to hand it over contact hmrc.

If only life was this simple

DWYNE:
return uniform… get p45 end of. Whats the problem?? If they then refuse to hand it over contact hmrc.

I agree, it’s just the pompous, snide, self righteous attitude that pi$$ed me off. Thought Id see if I could stick it up em…ha. I know it’s childish but people like that get on my nerves…

problem is this. You need the p45 more than they need the uniform. It should not be held to ransom like this and i would think they have one more trick up their sleeves to ensure much misery. Either way you will not come out on top for a while. Some battles are worth loosing. Paying extra tax is a nightmare so why do it? as is sorting out the p46 or what ever it is.

good luck mate and remember they cant keep it

There seems to be a spate at the moment of people having a hard time with work , leaveing or being pushed out then followed by more problems during the leaving process , I’m certain my time is due in the coming weeks

DWYNE:

Agree with this…. why won’t you return it, it’s of no use to you anyway, is it really worth the aggro??

return the uniform, as its faded and worn what use is it??

some companies will follow this up with police as its not unknown for a disgruntled ex employee to turn up as if he is supposed to be there and take things that does not belong to them…

A “late P45” can be useful, should you have walked away from a job, and not got another one straight away, perhaps because you wanted to actually get some time off in, albeit unpaid, before starting your next job? Maybe you left, not realising that you’d get bugger all other work for a few weeks, because agency is dead almost as soon as Christmas is done until Valentine’s day?

“No Gaps” new employers like to see in your work record… Well, if you leave an agency in December, and they eventually give you a P45 in February dated the start of February, then THEY are the ones risking the wrath of HMRC who might not like them implying that you’ve worked there solidly for an additional 8 weeks after leaving!
…Sets up a nice tax rebate for you though, because they surely should have given you a tax rebate themselves in your last payslip, but couldn’t be arsed. You’ll eventually get the rebate from HMRC direct, and ex-employer will be in the crapper for falsifying their work records on you. :smiling_imp:

DWYNE:
problem is this. You need the p45 more than they need the uniform. It should not be held to ransom like this and i would think they have one more trick up their sleeves to ensure much misery. Either way you will not come out on top for a while. Some battles are worth loosing. Paying extra tax is a nightmare so why do it? as is sorting out the p46 or what ever it is.

good luck mate and remember they cant keep it

You NEED a P45 as much as a fish needs a bicycle, if the few extra pounds for a few extra weeks is a problem then don’t be leaving jobs until you can afford to.

Been there & done that. Can your immature ex-employer prove that you still have their property?

Can they prove that you ever had their property?

dle1uk:
return the uniform, as its faded and worn what use is it??

some companies will follow this up with police as its not unknown for a disgruntled ex employee to turn up as if he is supposed to be there and take things that does not belong to them…

I will return it, but its like I said earlier I was just annoyed at being spoken to like that…

Conor:
I will add though that technically by not giving them their property back you’ve stolen it and should they decide to get uppity about it they are within their rights to phone the Police.

Fundamentally incorrect. It is not “stolen” unless there is dishonesty and an intention to permanently deprive them of their property (Theft Act 1968).

Anyone is “within their rights” to phone the police about anything they wish. But if they did in a case like this they would be told it was not a police/criminal matter.

OP, stobrats by any chance? :sunglasses: did exactly the same with me! :imp: :smiling_imp: but I dobbed them in to HMRC EIGHT months later! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: and I flogged all the uniform on EBAY! :smiley:

I got my P45 the other day, and just received a snotty text about having not given back my uniform. Thing is, old work is 20 mins drive one way, new job is 20 mins the other. I said at “exit interview” I’d give it back when passing. Surely I shouldn’t have to make special arrangements on my days off? One of their drivers leaves on Friday to come and work where I am, so will probably try and leave it and sort something between us.

3 wheeler:

Kneal:

cheers

Totally not allowed…and you can get a copy anyway, dob them in to HMRC , they take a dim view of practices like that.

+1 tell them you will give them there uniform back if you can have your p45 first until then no they cant have there uniform back and dig in mate i did they eventually cave when you tell hmrc as well

Tell them you’ll return their uniform when they issue your P45.

*Dah beaten to it ^^^^^