P&o to pull Hull to Belgium ferry closure

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-54377287

i travel on this service when it was northsea ferries when my old man used to haul fish from fleetwood then back but to grimsby to reload and do about 7 trips over 2 weeks.remember the al u can eat cold and hot spread and nights in bar to god knows what hour.plus seeing many dutch driving off ferry still half cut in morning once docked.sad day for hull now.was hoping to use it in next 12 month for a road trip in my car out to the italy swiss border where bonds films have been filmed.looks like ill be using the holland one instead now

Covid bs.
Meanwhile Kent gets turned into a transit camp to cope with demand.

The boats have been parked up in Belgium for several months, so it’s no suprise that this decision has been taken. Both boats where tired and in need of refurbishment or replacement. The only other route to the hook will add 100 miles to your journey.

peirre:
The boats have been parked up in Belgium for several months, so it’s no suprise that this decision has been taken. Both boats where tired and in need of refurbishment or replacement. The only other route to the hook will add 100 miles to your journey.

Not sure where you acquired this information from but it’s 100% incorrect.
The York is in Hull and the Bruges is on its way up the Humber now.
Both have been refurbed in Europoort in the last 18 months!

P and O have always said there were issues with the vessels width restrictions at Hull due the size of the lock meaning they cannot use a vessel the size that they do on the Rotterdam route.
The Pride of York and Bruge were due to be replaced as in recent years they have had expensive breakdowns and the other option which is unlikely would be a new facility alongside the one for the Rotterdam ferry in the main river channel.

The government will predictably let this whoosh over their heads in the sand rather than take direct control of what will shortly become an essential route.

Seems to be the way it’s going with these North sea crossings, there used to be 3 routes from Tyneside to Norway years ago, Harwich to Ebsjerg was scrapped a few years back and now this (there’s probably others that have gone that I’m unaware of).
How long before Tyne-Ijmuiden disappears? Obviously passenger numbers have dwindled over the years plus cars are that much better nowadays so it may be quicker and/ or cheaper to use Dover-Calais for a driving holiday.
I understand there’s freight Ro-Ro still using similar routes but limited to the passenger numbers they can take so mostly unaccompanied trailers on these. Very sad news though but I suppose that’s progress.

Bit of a coincidence that government are considering using redundant ferries for off shore detention cells…

Covid the new excuse for every ■■■■ thing that has taken over from the old one…H&S. :unamused:
If it is genuinely to do with Covid and the lack of non freight passengers, why not just suspend it rather than stop it, mothball the Bruges and the York, …or reduce crossings until things pick up.
Had some fond memories (and bloody good nights :smiley: ) on those boats, it will be a shame if the service is stopped…don’t go over these days, but even so :neutral_face:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

peirre:

The amount of myths, misinformation and fake news on Trucknet along with Facebook is staggering. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

cav551:
The government will predictably let this whoosh over their heads in the sand rather than take direct control of what will shortly become an essential route.

The government don’t even know or care that anywhere exists North of the Thames.
No problem Kent can take it.They’ll probably dig another tunnel parallell with the first if not two and turn Folkestone and Ramsgate into major ferry terminals added to Dover because no one with any sense will still not want to go into a ■■■■■■■■ under the Channel with the only way out being at each end of it.
Then they’ll say all travel in the South East has to be banned …for those of us living here to create the road capacity needed for traffic to get through.
Then houses and farming replaced by truck parks.

moomooland:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

peirre:

The amount of myths, misinformation and fake news on Trucknet along with Facebook is staggering. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Exactly!.. I was posting whilst sat having my breakfast on the Bruges at the time.
Where some of these people come up with this guff they post Is mind boggling.

Pride of Bruges and Pride of York in Hull this evening.

Wonder if they have had second thoughts about pulling out of Hull.

Four ferry firms including P&O have landed government contracts worth a total of £77.6m to provide post-Brexit freight capacity.

The additional capacity will be on quieter ferry routes between mainland Europe and UK ports in Felixstowe, Harwich, Hull, Newhaven, Poole, Portsmouth, Teesport and Tilbury.

BBC News article

moomooland:

Four ferry firms including P&O have landed government contracts worth a total of £77.6m to provide post-Brexit freight capacity.

The additional capacity will be on quieter ferry routes between mainland Europe and UK ports in Felixstowe, Harwich, Hull, Newhaven, Poole, Portsmouth, Teesport and Tilbury.

BBC News article

:open_mouth:

Blimey common sense prevails maybe the government checks out what’s said here.

Carryfast:

moomooland:

BBC News article

Or maybe, get this radical thought*, they base policies and actions on more than a few drivers talking on a forum.

*radical because we have the most shockingly ineffective and incompetent government in my 43 years upon this planet so the idea that they base anything on facts and research is frankly radical and would be comical were it not so serious

I basically just argued against my own point there :smiley:

switchlogic:

Lol…

Have you had a bump on the head or something lately Switchy? :smiley:

yourhavingalarf:

switchlogic:

Lol…

Have you had a bump on the head or something lately Switchy? :smiley:

Possibly, I can’t actually remember :smiley:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

moomooland:

BBC News article

Or maybe, get this radical thought*, they base policies and actions on more than a few drivers talking on a forum.

*radical because we have the most shockingly ineffective and incompetent government in my 43 years upon this planet so the idea that they base anything on facts and research is frankly radical and would be comical were it not so serious

Whatever it is they’ve reached the right conclusion starting with the totally wrong premise.
Kent isn’t the solution here west channel and north sea crossings are. :bulb: :wink: