P&O Dover - Zeebrugge Resumes Service

P&O Ferries is resurrecting its dedicated freight service between Dover and Zeebrugge on 7 April, in response to customer demand.

The daily service will be operated by the European Endeavour, which has capacity for up to 100 lorries and which is currently deployed on P&O’s Dover-Calais service. It will have a crossing time of four and a half hours.

The service ceased in 2002 because of a lack of demand, but Ronny Daelman, P&O freight director, said: “We now believe a freight market for the service has come back, and we will provide the ship so long as there is profitable demand.

“We are building a very strong freight hub in Zeebrugge with our routes to Hull, Teesport and Tilbury.

“Our customers tell us they now want a direct service to Dover from the Belgian port, and we are pleased to be able to respond accordingly.”

A P&O spokeswoman said the new service would result in less capacity on Dover-Calais, but explained: “We’re in a situation where some days the ship isn’t being used because the demand isn’t there."

She added that at weekends the European Endeavour may be transferred back to Dover-Calais to cater for increased passenger traffic, while freight services are less in demand.

An industry source said the service would mainly compete with Norfolkline’s Dover-Dunkirk operation.

if they put the SEAWAY back on the route i might be tempted but not that tub

compete with n\line ■■? but it will take 4.5 hrs . it would have to be cheap.
having said that avoiding france has its merits.

turnip:

or you could read 561/2006 again and find a good reason why it is better than Norfolk Line. The massage couches do not really count as bunks or couchettes and there are only about 14 of them :laughing:

Journeys involving ferry or train transport
Where a driver accompanies a vehicle that is being transported by ferry or train, the daily rest
requirements are more flexible.

A regular daily rest period may be interrupted no more than twice, but the total interruption must not
exceed 1 hour in total. This allows for a vehicle to be driven onto a ferry and off at the end of a sea
crossing. Where the rest period is interrupted in this way, the total ■■■■■■■■■ rest period must still
be 11 hours. A bunk or couchette must be available during the rest period.

and it aint cheap either compared to ramsgate-ostend. in fact its bloody expensive looking at my rate sheet for p+o and ive got good buying power with them but compared to my rate for dover-calais and ramsgate-ostend i will stick with them thanks :smiley:

Wheel Nut:

turnip:

or you could read 561/2006 again and find a good reason why it is better than Norfolk Line. The massage couches do not really count as bunks or couchettes and there are only about 14 of them :laughing:

Where a driver accompanies a vehicle that is being transported by ferry or train, the daily rest

A regular daily rest period may be interrupted no more than twice, but the total interruption must not
exceed 1 hour in total. This allows for a vehicle to be driven onto a ferry and off at the end of a sea
crossing. Where the rest period is interrupted in this way, the total ■■■■■■■■■ rest period must still

Providing they actually give you a bunk that is ! I would hope so as 4.5 hrs late at night with no bunk would b a nightmare but p+o is not that hot on customer service imo and it wouldn’t surprise me atall to find they dont.

turnip:

Wheel Nut:

turnip:

Providing they actually give you a bunk that is ! I would hope so as 4.5 hrs late at night with no bunk would b a nightmare but p+o is not that hot on customer service imo and it wouldn’t surprise me atall to find they dont.

The old Zeebrugge service used to be spot on and most of the time you had a cabin to yourself, if not you just went and found one that was empty :stuck_out_tongue: I think the last ship was actually ripped about to suit the Calais service and the cabins are probably still on it.

My memories of the Dover Zeebrugge service probably are tinted pink as I got down to Dover, queued on the steps, sealed an empty fuel tank and then a quick meal, shower and 3 hours sleep. Wake up, next stop Geiselwynd for a drinking session :laughing:

I always found P&O Dover - Zeebrugge the best way to cross the water when I was going away, I never struggled to get a bunk either. Plenty of parking in Zeebee too or used to be. And you can’t pay enough to stay out of France whenever possible :slight_smile:

Fly sheet