owner operator - subbies?

Hey all, very first post here. I was going to post this in the introduction thingy but I figured you guys may not check in there so often.
ok so here goes, I don’t currently have a class 1 or have any of the training towards it. It is something ive been looking into heavily and id much prefer to be a owner operator rather than to work for somebody (even though ive gatherd I wont earn any more).

So here is my question. Do any of you guys sub to one company? ive rang around a few to get a gist of the rates but you never know if your going to get the work that their saying your going to get do you?
If any body does sub to any single company (or has) in the past, could you please share your experiances regauarding rates, workload, did they pay on time etc? and maby just in general was they easy to get on with and so on.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
also if this is in the wrong section then please feel free to move it or what not, but please could you let me know where it is via pm.

Why does every newbie want his own wagon■■?

FFS get out and do the ■■■■■■■ job for at least 10 years before you throw your hard earned money at something which will bankrupt you and finish your marriage.

You say you don’t have a class 1. I take it from this you have class 2.

If I were you I’d stick with working for someone else for a good long while after you’ve got your class 1 and then decide what you want to do.

Do you have any experience running a business with thousands of pounds of your own money ( and now importantly your bank’s money) ties up in it? If not just settle for driving someone else’s motor and have the peace of mind of cash in the bank every week

I disagree, it’s good to have an ambition to make something of yourself. It’s true it may bankrupt you and cost you a marriage but you’ll never go to your grave still wondering.
I couldn’t tell you about sub contract work but from what I’ve read, steer clear if container companies.

I’m not suggesting ambition is a bad thing but being realistic is better. Would the OP go and try and run a bakery or bank or similar with no experience? I doubt that but lorry driving must be easier. It’s not

Thanks for your fast replys lads. First up im not married so no worries there lol. Ive rand my own business for 6 years im not on here to prove what I know or don’t know about running a business. Ive had good times and bad that’s just business. This isn’t the only one that can end sour.
Since the age of 20 ive been in the transport industry, so its not as if im sat at a press all day and looked out the roller shutter door seen an artic drive by and thought, ya know what…
so yes if I was to want to run a bakery that would be odd, however im not totally new to this industry.

The reason for the interest is that I know full well if I go and drive for someone else I wont sit still in that seat for thinking about running my own waggon. I do intend to be employed by someone first, agency or otherwise to get a feel for the ropes, but ultimately I would like to become an owner operator.
Ive been scribbleing and jotting for a couple of weeks now trying to factor costs, and the one question im left with is what to expect my gross to be?
Also does anyone have any other avenues for work other than subbing yourself out to a firm?

Before you make any commitment s Rattray I’d get the class 1 and do a month for someone ,you might find that to do anything else on top of that work is not for you .

Dan Punchard:
Before you make any commitment s Rattray I’d get the class 1 and do a month for someone ,you might find that to do anything else on top of that work is not for you .[/quote
That’s all very well Dan Punchard but you must admit theres no harm in gaining information beforehand is there.

No not at all ,but for some to pull the keys out at night is enough ,so before you go to any effort and expense I would certainly learn or get the required knowledge at someone else expense .

for sure that is the plan. this is just part of the process, don’t worrie if you tell me your turning over 8k a week I wont be running off to order my new truck…

so then do you sub your self out or have you got your own contracts?

No contracts thanks ,just 40 odd regular customers ,3 sub contract ,the rest direct ,all flatbed work/ crane.

can I ask how long you haver been in the industry to have bult up a customer base like that?

I largely sub to one firm, with just a small amount of my own work. I earn a reasonable living at it, get paid on time and have more freedom than the vast majority of employed drivers, but there certainly isn’t a fortune in it. I do enjoy running my own truck though, there would be nothing stopping me from packing up tomorrow and getting an employed job and I’m sure most of the OO’s here would say much the same.

I’d certainly recommend working as an employee for at least a couple of years before you even consider buying your own truck though, just starting out as a truck driver is a sharp enough learning curve without throwing truck ownership and an Operator’s Licence into the mix.

16 years,but I inherited some customers from people who were finishing.

so when im 10 years in, you will be due to retire then you can pass me your custom. lol.
in all seriousness im not expecting this to be a walk in the park nor will I be in a rush to throw any money away, I know its going to be a slow process to be anywhere near where id like to be, but clocking in then clocking out 8 hours later isn’t for me.

so come on anyone on here who subs them self solely to one firm? and if so how do you do out of them?

Rattray:
so come on anyone on here who subs them self solely to one firm? and if so how do you do out of them?

I wouldn’t give out commercially sensitive information but I never mind giving out a brief overview of running a truck if it helps anybody. It’s not as if anybody could come along and undercut me.

I’ve got one more invoice to submit in November, at that point I will have invoiced £21,000 (ex VAT) for October and November, It cost about £9,000 in fuel to earn that, finance and insurance over two months is £2,000, I calculate all other costs at £600 a week so that’s £4,500, I pay myself £2,000 a month in wages so that’s £4,000, so after that there’s about £1,500 of profit over two months or £750 a month which is about what it seems to work out as in real life.

All depends on who you sub for and doing what and what they pay

Personally alot that are advertised i wouldnt touch like alot of ferry trls theres no money in it. But know people who sub to other firms and earn good out of it but its finding them companies then getting on there and other people wont tell you torisk their own work

It is very easy in this industry to become a busy fool

Realustcally most the better paying work wont offer quick payments etc
So need to base your costs on 30day month end
So 8-10 weeks costs before any money comes in
New start fuel cards will prob want a bond plus weekly payment
So if doing distance you want 10-15 k for fuel behind you
Plus your finance / insurance payments wages for you to live on
Plus all other costs maintance tires etc

Alot of good advice on threads on here
Likes of maritimes schemes etc yet to find anyone who has made money out of it

Harry monk and gettin-on, thanks a lot for an insight in to your work. Yes I can imagin it is easy to become a busy fool…
From company’s I’ve rang it seems that work isn’t difficult to come by but like you say “busy fool”

I’ve been messing with figures and I spoke with a company who was offering £1:40 per mile round trip, and I was told to expect to get 2500miles per week.
That wouldn’t put me anywhere near your figures Harry monk but there would be a profit.
Also I worked out (but based on estimates) that it would be practicly impossible to cover 2500 in 5days with working hours etc… Am I rite? Also what kind of miles are you guys covering each week/month etc?

Thanks again

Edit: I asked a question that was already answerd.

Over the last 10 weeks I’ve averaged 2588 km per week. It would be all but impossible to do 2500 miles in five days, as this would give a maximum of 47 driving hours (2x10 + 3x9) and 2500 divided by 47 would require an average speed of over 53 mph.

That’s pretty much what I worked out…
What’s it like getting work as a subbie? Will I walk in and be working and earning from the off? I don’t mean signing with them or payment terms etc but I mean do you have to build up a relationship with them like you would a customer etc before they give you the full amount of work so to speak?

Bottom line is I need to sort this class1 out then work for someone (might not take to it yet lol) then while working for somebody can make plans with no rush or pressure.

In your experience what’s it like for getting time off? How much notice do youneed to give and so on?
Also are there penaltys for not hitting targets and or deadlines?
Can you stop at all… For toilet etc?
Basically I’m after a general idea of what it’s like to work with these guys.

Thanks

Rattray:
Can you stop at all… For toilet etc?

no you have to have a dump in a carrier bag and keep it behind the seat till your next tip

sorry, wrong thread…

seriously though, is this post another wind up? asking if your allowed to stop for a ■■■■ is…well…taking the ■■■■