Owner Operator in need of advise

Hi, we’re about to put a unit and semi trailer on the road for the first time to gain experience in this area because for the last 2 years we’ve solely worked with 26t HIABS delivering for a major building supplies firm and all eggs in one basket is kind of worrying us and being dictated to by the weather in this country makes things rather difficult.
Anyway we been talking to Barronwoods and UKI Express both of which seem to be offering similar things i.e.guaranteed work every week Mon-Fri. I’ve heard that although they pay on time the money that they do pay is poor and we’ll barely cover our costs.
Would this route be advisable for us do you think as a good way to at least get us going or are we better off steering clear and talking to someone else? Any advise would be very much appreciated… cheers guys

we’ll barely cover our costs.

speaks volumes to me

HTH

I think you have answered your own question.You say the work would barely cover your own costs,so very little point in doing it.
Have a look around and see what else is around,but I wouldn’t be to optimistic. Best of luck.
Cheers Dave.

Wereaboouts are you based? PM me

Most times when you start a new job you don’t really no what to expect,lots of people are happy with what they do and lots moan about what they do I would say try it till first pay check and if it’s good carry on if it’s (zb) and you have lost money walk away but theres not many good jobs at the moment but good luck you never now :smiley:

Trucks eat less and last longer when parked up. Its very easy to be a busy fool.

I worked for barronwood they are decent enough the works ok but IMHO its a waste of time you are turning money over. But not a lot of profit in it

cheers guys, you’re all right of course, guess I did answer my own question and nobody wants to be a busy fool. In my mind I was kind of thinking that in a tough market place if we didn’t lose money and made a little to pay off my bar tab each week then it’ll be a start and would allow me to hunt for other work. We’re based in Marlow, bucks so we’re right next to m4 and m40 which must be a bonus. Maybe i should rethink my strategy

You need to get your own work direct with a customer rather than going through a 3rd party, this is usually a waste of time. It can lead in a small minority of cases to you getting better work if you are lucky/get to the brown envelope stage.

The only way to make any money at it is to be getting a primary one way rate out on your own trailer which will allow you to come back empty for a small profit/break even then any return loads you can source are pure profit & can be done at your discretion. Also means you’re not held to ransom by the back load co. Only problem with this is most decent work is under contract.

nick2703:
Hi, we’re about to put a unit and semi trailer on the road for the first time to gain experience in this area because for the last 2 years we’ve solely worked with 26t HIABS delivering for a major building supplies firm and all eggs in one basket is kind of worrying us and being dictated to by the weather in this country makes things rather difficult.
Anyway we been talking to Barronwoods and UKI Express both of which seem to be offering similar things i.e.guaranteed work every week Mon-Fri. I’ve heard that although they pay on time the money that they do pay is poor and we’ll barely cover our costs.
Would this route be advisable for us do you think as a good way to at least get us going or are we better off steering clear and talking to someone else? Any advise would be very much appreciated… cheers guys

Further proof if it were needed that most owner operators are thick as ■■■■. I mean come on man, how thick do you have to be to even ask that question? WTF is wrong with people these days. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Answer the question that was asked of you last week You seem to know everything…“WHAT DO YO DO?” :unamused:

Rob K:
Further proof if it were needed that most owner operators are thick as [zb]. I mean come on man, how thick do you have to be to even ask that question? WTF is wrong with people these days. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

It would probably still pay more than your Jobseeker’s Allowance. :wink:

Even with my little ‘wheelbarrow’ I wont even consider turning a wheel if I’m dependent on getting a return load to show a profit.

raymundo:
Even with my little ‘wheelbarrow’ I wont even consider turning a wheel if I’m dependent on getting a return load to show a profit.

That’s where you’re going wrong Ray - you have your priorities messed up. Your first priority should be running it as a “way of life” with any money you make being a bonus.

Rob K:

raymundo:

That’s where you’re going wrong Ray - you have your priorities messed up. Your first priority should be running it as a “way of life” with any money you make being a bonus.

Well, it’s true that you are liberated from things like this…

waynedl:
So, I booked next week off to have a hols with my missus, no probs there, but 1 of the dogs is very old and was getting pretty ill, so got her booked into the vets for yesterday.

Anyway, asked boss if there was any chance of the Friday off too, he says no chance. Took dog to vets, she was put to sleep, told boss he’s going to have to cover it, not in best state of mind for driving an artic on a Friday afternoon etc. He said he couldn’t cover it, so I turned my phone off…

Now, we don’t have any kids, our pets are our family, and the old girl had been with us for 13yrs and was fully grown when we got her (rescue dog).

What you reckon? Job hunt or just a bollocking?

As well as earning the same amount as that driver will be getting paid, plus the owner’s profit margin.

Once again, would you care to expand on what your experience of operating a truck actually is?

Rob K:

raymundo:

Rob, are you saying that even I (in my little wheelbarrow) should run at a loss or just break even for the financial benefit of the person I am subbing for ?
No chance, its not a way of life any longer but a way of getting out of doing the housework while the missus is out grafting :wink:

nick2703:
Anyway we been talking to Barronwoods

A PM to Shuttlespanker might be helpful to the inside story :wink: :wink: :wink:

Harry Monk:
Well, it’s true that you are liberated from things like this…

waynedl:
So, I booked next week off to have a hols with my missus, no probs there, but 1 of the dogs is very old and was getting pretty ill, so got her booked into the vets for yesterday.

Anyway, asked boss if there was any chance of the Friday off too, he says no chance. Took dog to vets, she was put to sleep, told boss he’s going to have to cover it, not in best state of mind for driving an artic on a Friday afternoon etc. He said he couldn’t cover it, so I turned my phone off…

Now, we don’t have any kids, our pets are our family, and the old girl had been with us for 13yrs and was fully grown when we got her (rescue dog).

What you reckon? Job hunt or just a bollocking?

Are you for real :unamused:

You go around bleating that you’re being victimised and you make a post like that about someone losing a pet that they cared a great deal about, the poor bloke said the pooch was like one of his kids and you mock him ffs :unamused:

You made a very untasteful remark after the untimely death of Big Vern’s Son, so this isn’t a one off :unamused:

Is it any wonder that there’s a fake facebook profile for you that is full of hatred :bulb:

I reckon you need to forget all about rulers and other promotional material, with a gob like yours you’d be much better off keeping a low profile, oh and I’d up your BUPA coverage too, the way you’re going it won’t be long before someone drags you from the cab of your lorry and gives you a good hiding :unamused:

On behalf of the more decent members on trucknet, I’d like to apologise to Waynedl for the disgusting remarks made by Harry Monk and say thatwe all hope that the remarks didn’t cause you too much distress at this very sad time :cry: :wink:

That’s why he got a magnum it’s a long way up. :slight_smile:

kr79:
That’s why he got a magnum it’s a long way up. :slight_smile:

I have long arms Kev :wink: