owner operater

to be an o/o in the america what do you need to have besides your cdl.also same question but this time for canada
cheers carl :laughing:

Carl:
to be an o/o in the america what do you need to have besides your cdl.also same question but this time for canada

What do you need?
You need your head looked at to want to become an O/O in N.America :exclamation: :exclamation: :cry:
Go to the O/O forum on TrucknetUSA and read the posts on how much is envolved :exclamation:

Carl:

What do you mean by ā€œneedā€ to be an owner operator?
There is not a special license class if that is what you are refering to.
An owner-operator goes deeply into debt; and ā€œleasesā€ his tractor to a carrier. He is usually under complete control by that carrier and has the carrierā€™s name on the door of the truck and even puts the carrierā€™s name on the registration.
For this; the owner operator is renumerated in so many dollars per mile:
Letā€™s post some examples:
December 2005 TRUCKNEWS paper
SGT ( St.Germaine Transport)
*$1.37 per mile, loaded or empty, Canada or USa

• low insurance rates
    *Truck Loads, no LTL
    *no paint code

TRI-LINE Freight Systems
$1.415 per mile ā€¦but the fine print shows base rate is $1.09 per mile + $.325 per mile fuel surcharge.

These mileage rates are not for ACTUAL miles run but for PRACTICAL miles run.
A new tractor will cost at least $125,000.00 ++ plus 15 % tax.
Diesel Fuel is about .95 per litre.

You will spend most of your time running in the USA so the currency factor will come into play. You will be paid in Canadian Dollars which are worth about 80 cents US. The Canadian tax department doesnā€™t allow you to write off all your on road living expenses either.

Being paid to sit away from home over the weekend?
Ha ha ha ha

You only get paid when you are driving.
You will need a good out of country medical pacakge. If you are taken sick or get hurt in the USA ( where you will be spending most of your time remember) they want cash up front for the hospital.

Thereā€™s lots more but that is the basic gist for now.

I hope itā€™s given you something to think about.

Canadian owner-operaor tractor

Ere, BJfan, when i was running out of Winterpeg, most of the drivers were writing off 30 bucks or so a day living expenses against their taxesā€¦ Check it out mate? Get a professional to look into it. Maybe itā€™s a special Manitoba thing, i dunnoā€¦ Probably, since people in Manitoba are a bit specialā€¦ :laughing:

You forgot IFTA tags, and permits to run through 48 (or 49 if you do Alaska) US staes, plus the Cannuck provincesā€¦ If you run out of the US, you need an operators permitā€¦ and for Gods sakes, rent a Petercar before buying oneā€¦ then try out a volvo over thereā€¦

thank for the replys ,the reason for asking was that we have a operators license and i just wondered if thats what ya need over there or could you just go and buy a truck and find work.
ps i have no intention of becoming an o/o i was just curious

allikat:
Ere, BJfan, when i was running out of Winterpeg, most of the drivers were writing off 30 bucks or so a day living expenses against their taxesā€¦ Check it out mate? Get a professional to look into it. Maybe itā€™s a special Manitoba thing, i dunnoā€¦ Probably, since people in Manitoba are a bit specialā€¦ :laughing:

Allicat: Youā€™re correct in the $30.00 per day against taxes; that is a maximum allowance. If you go over the 30 there is no other relief. You are also correct about all the taxes and permits.
I didnā€™t mention the USA as it is so difficult to enter legally. The number of work permits for all classes are being reduced.

The point I was trying to make; and maybe I didnā€™t do it very well; is that running as an Owner Operator in North America requires a large investment for a small return. Running as an O/O is usually recommended after running as an employed driver for sometime to build experience. Many people try to work as an O/O and many, many fail.
The truck dealers are always full of nice Peterbilts and Kenworths that have been repocessed.
Canadian trucking companies hire owner-ops to compete and hold their costs down to a level with the US mega carriers who operate quasi ā€œdriving schoolsā€ that keep their wage costs down.Trucking in North America had never been easy
It takes itā€™s toll on families; marriages often founder at the stress of enforced absences. distances are so vast that drivers are often away from home for weeks at a stretch.
Truckers are often faced with the quandry.tires for the truck or shoes for the kids?
The streets and highways in North America are not paved with gold.
The grass can be greener here; but it might be hard to find.